1/10 Ruckus 2wd

bbbv4711

I am new to the hobby, so sorry for the long post. I bought my son a Traxxas 2wd Stampede VXL, to be able to have father/son time I decided to get a Ruckus 2wd. The Ruckus is the brushed with lipo, I knew I would be upgrading as things broke. 1st was the driveshafts upgraded to Hot Racing SECT288x06, then I picked up a venom 25C 2S 5000mAh. The next run I smoked the ESC/Motor. So I picked up a metal gear set and Hot Racing steel spur gear(48P 87T) and Maclan diamondback 80a esc/MX540 4000kv combo. I believe the original pinion it 17t, which I am using with the new setup.
After searching this site and watching videos I changed the gears and installed the esc/motor combo. 1st run was not impressed, seems like slipper was too loose so I tightened 1/2 a turn. This was better, but maybe just a little better than the stock brushed setup. I do know I need to buy a programmer for the ESC, apparently it comes new with reverse locked out.
Any suggestions or comments to get the most out of the esc/motor setup? Also what does the numbers represent on gears? Like the spur is 48P 87T, I assume the 87T is teeth what is the 48P?

48P is the gear pitch, indicating how close the teeth are together. It has to match the pinion obviously. With a steel spur you shouldn't have any problems; some people upgrade to a 32P plastic setup instead when they ruin the spur. Smaller pitch = less teeth = bigger, sturdier teeth.

I don't know your specific motor, but I think it should have a lot more torque than the stock brushed motor, so you could change to a larger pinion and it should give you more top end and still accelerate well enough. Only one way to find out :) Keep an eye on motor temps though. An IR temp gun is like $12, cheap insurance. Hottest temps for me are when running in tall grass.

Yes, the "T" is how many teeth are on the gear. The "P", in a very simplified description, tells you how big the teeth are. Diametral pitch is how many teeth can fit on a gear with 1" pitch diameter. Circular pitch is the distance between a location on the face of one tooth in relation to the same location on an adjacent tooth.

Thanks for the replies. I will pick up a pack of pinions and try different sizes. I do have a IR temp gun, so will watch temps close.

Thanks for the replies. I will pick up a pack of pinions and try different sizes. I do have a IR temp gun, so will watch temps close.

I have a 3900KV in my Ruckus. On 2S you should be able to comfortably use a 24T pinion with the 87T spur. If you watch the temps, you can run it on 3S. It will be insane, but a lot of fun.

I did try a 20T along with setting up the esc with the prolink from maclan. Huge difference......The motor temps are running 130-140F on 2S. I am going to play with some different setups. With the extra power I am seeing that better shocks/oil and steering parts are next.

Members online

No members online now.
Back