1:18 Scale Questions

lucas626

Hey Everyone,

I have a couple of general questions regarding the 1:18th scale trucks. I have a torment and a ruckus and want to start upgrading parts, but for the life of me I cant figure out or find what the sizes are.

I cant seem to find a size on the tire and am not sure how they measure them.

Same thing with the shocks. I've looked but I'm not sure if mine are 65mm or what. Are there any sites you can recommend?

Another thing I'm curious about is how many people out there are running these size trucks. Are they pretty popular?

I look forward to your responses. If you're like me and like this size, hit me up. I'd like to learn more and see what you guys are up to.

Thanks!

I don't own one so not sure but on Horizons website there is a little tab on the right that pops up and if you click on it you can talk to an employee. They are usually very helpful.

Yeah right on thanks. I've been on the horn with them a few times (broken parts). With that stuff they're amazing!
But the couple time I called to get info like shock size or tool sizes for my truck, all they did was try to sell me stuff. Not that it's a 5.5mm nut driver, but that they have the perfect tool kit already. I understand its a business.
Anyways, thanks for the heads up. Have a good one.

The rims are an odd offset. But they use 12mm hexes.
So far I know these fit.
GOPR2780.jpg

20160108_205816_zpsxd9jiexi.jpg

20160108_2058381_zpskx4ovbqk.jpg
Proline Dirt Hawgs for the Mini E-Revo will work if you can find a rim with the right offset. With the stock MERV rims the tires rub.
20151225_002558_zpsan1diobg.jpg
20151225_002630_zpsviqbnip4.jpg

Traxxas Talons off the Mini E-Revo will also work with the suspension set as high as possible, you will have some slight rubbing.

20151225_003034_zpszrah001t.jpg
20151224_235814_zps4bkx8enh.jpg

I am sure with some hex spacers both of those tire/wheel combos would work pretty good.

Dang slick, thank you for the info, I appreciate it.

Just like you said I like the tires on the first set but the rims aren't very nice. My son (its his truck after all!) said the same thing. I don't know that I would need slicks as its a bashing mobile for a 5 year old. The those thinner ones look nice. The tread looks a bit more aggressive too. I was screwing around on some rocks and a little more traction would have been helpful for "crawling".

After some earlier suggestions I found a lot of cool stuff on Hot Racing. The plastic parts seem strong enough for now, but those metallic fittings are sweet looking.

Have you done other mods to your ruckus? I need to get a new servo for my sons and someone suggested the HiTec HS-82MG metal gear servo. Seems good, but I don't have a lot to judge it on.

New transmitters will be next (if nothing breaks). Nothing crazy but with more control. its hard to get the steering to stay straight. Servos should help too.

I dig that the prices for parts is so reasonable. When his servo broke I cringed at the thought of replacing it. But when I went looking around I didn't pass out! Its cool!

I mean the quality of the rims, they are very cheep and break really easy.

Those second tires aren't slicks those were Traxxas Talons off a MERV lol.

Lol, shows you my level of knowledge, I thought they were slicks haha!!

Would a metal gear servo make that much of a difference?

What about all the aluminum after market stuff? It looks cool but will it make a difference?

Thanks!

Not to sure what servos would work.
Get the shocks, because the stock ones suck, maybe the steering blocks and caster blocks. There really is no need to get the a arms.

Yeah I noticed that about the shocks! My son has been blowing the tops off his left and right. I'm a half bottle of shock oil down since christmas! Lol.

Thanks for opinion. A arms seemed a little excessivle. They look cool but that's about it.

I want to try his ruckus and my torment out at the indoor track but haven't had a chance. I want to see how my torment works on the dirt track. So fun and a cool size. Do you mostly bash with yours?

Before the diffs gave out I did. And I don't really feel like spending 3/4ths the cost of a new one to fix it, so now it just sits in a box in my closet. ~$24 a pop for the stock bulkheads, since you can't just order the diff, and then to have those diffs just strip out again is not worth it in my opinion, I've already replaced 2 and tried a hybrid diff made out of Duratrax Mini Quake diffs. Needless to say the best diffs are the metal diffs from the Losi 1/14th scale like the mini 8ight. But then you need to make your own axles as the stock ones won't fit the outdrives and the only shafts that are known to fit have been discontinued.
If I want to make the truck so it will actually be a decent truck I would have to spend about $120 and that isn't going to happen.
I would never recommend these trucks to anyone, there are so many other minis that are in the same price range that are of much higher quality than the 1/18 Ecx vehicles.

Last edited:
Lol, could have started with that and saved some back and forth! Thanks for the opinion and info. I appreciate the help earlier in the thread.

Any interest in selling the one sitting in your closet? I could use the spare parts!

Thanks again. I appreciate the info you shared!

Members online

No members online now.
Back