1/18 Torment with metal gears ⚙️

Nano2844

I haven’t seen anyone on here with a 1/18 that has metal gears so I thought I’d share mine to show you it can be done.

I ordered 2 carisma gear sets. Diffs and bearings from carisma-shop. 200$CAN with shipping, waiting to install them.
Big investment for a 150$ rc truck but it kills me to give up on it

I only have the rear upgraded. The front has held up pretty well so far. I know how you feel. I was bummed when the rear gave out on mine. Keep us updated !

Thanks I appreciate it. Another question lol do they sell this as a whole kit or do you have to order them individually? I was looking at the carisma website yesterday and they show a kit and it’s called

GT14 B Gear Diff Conversion Set would that be the same thing and it has a product number 15316​

Attachments

• CA2C4E08-4FDD-491F-95C2-1D0C3631DEC3.png
    CA2C4E08-4FDD-491F-95C2-1D0C3631DEC3.png
    162.6 KB · Views: 2
Thanks I appreciate it. Another question lol do they sell this as a whole kit or do you have to order them individually? I was looking at the carisma website yesterday and they show a kit and it’s called

GT14 B Gear Diff Conversion Set would that be the same thing and it has a product number 15316​

What you posted looks a lot closer to what he has in his video versus the ball diff pictured in the GT14b manual. Maybe that's not the correct model. What you pictured is just the planetaries internal to the case, it does not include the ring and pinion.

Hopefully one of the guys who said he completed this can chime in.

What you posted looks a lot closer to what he has in his video versus the ball diff pictured in the GT14b manual. Maybe that's not the correct model. What you pictured is just the planetaries internal to the case, it does not include the ring and pinion.

Hopefully one of the guys who said he completed this can chime in.
Ok thanks

The ball diff might work, idk of anyone who has tried it.

The internal gears are what failed the most on these diffs. Idk how the external gears will hold up once the internals are upgraded though.

I gave up trying to find a solution that didn't involve frankensteining parts together and was cost effective. Literally every option I have found will cost you more than the truck is worth and require making your own parts unfortunately.
https://www.ecxforum.com/threads/1-18-ruckus-differential-problems-and-upgrades-discussion.295/

The Carisma kit you posted

"GT14 B Gear Diff Conversion Set would that be the same thing and it has a product number 15316"​

does have the metal diffrential gear internals needed to rebuild your diffrentials with metal internal gears. You may also want to order

"GT14 B/GTB Metal Gear Diff Seal Set".​

When I rebuilt mine, after finding the information here that slick2500 provided, i found the ECX diff has seals and mine were well worn and tearing in the corners. Wanting to use some antiwewr grease &/or diff silicone, i went ahead and ordered a set, they sealed the newly rebuilt diffs up very well and fit perfectly.

Only gears that elude, as already stated by slick, are the diff ring gear and the bevel pinion input gear. So far mine have held up but I don't like thinking they may give out. I really like the truck. I flipped the rear A-arms over and around to get the shock protectors built into the A-arms facing the correct direction. I also upgraded tires to SpeedTreads, the shock mounts with tt-02s carbon fiber shock towers, used HBX all alloy shocks and a HyperGo body, and for running gear i have GTskyTEN 5900kv 2845 B.L. motor and 35a esc with a FlySky FS-G4P radio. The gears are literally the Achilles heel of this truck. Otherwise the only issue I have had is the screws in the rear holding the rear bumper down onto the rear diff upper ccver. Fixed it with some washers though, stopped the screw heads from.pulling through.

The Carisma kit you posted

"GT14 B Gear Diff Conversion Set would that be the same thing and it has a product number 15316"​

does have the metal diffrential gear internals needed to rebuild your diffrentials with metal internal gears. You may also want to order

"GT14 B/GTB Metal Gear Diff Seal Set".​

When I rebuilt mine, after finding the information here that slick2500 provided, i found the ECX diff has seals and mine were well worn and tearing in the corners. Wanting to use some antiwewr grease &/or diff silicone, i went ahead and ordered a set, they sealed the newly rebuilt diffs up very well and fit perfectly.

Only gears that elude, as already stated by slick, are the diff ring gear and the bevel pinion input gear. So far mine have held up but I don't like thinking they may give out. I really like the truck. I flipped the rear A-arms over and around to get the shock protectors built into the A-arms facing the correct direction. I also upgraded tires to SpeedTreads, the shock mounts with tt-02s carbon fiber shock towers, used HBX all alloy shocks and a HyperGo body, and for running gear i have GTskyTEN 5900kv 2845 B.L. motor and 35a esc with a FlySky FS-G4P radio. The gears are literally the Achilles heel of this truck. Otherwise the only issue I have had is the screws in the rear holding the rear bumper down onto the rear diff upper ccver. Fixed it with some washers though, stopped the screw heads from.pulling through.

Do you happen to have any pics of how you added TT-O2 carbon shock towers?

Yes, of course slick2500
Shock.protectors facing forward, i got the truck second hand so i don't know if they came backwards on the rear or were just backwards because someone flipped them? I used servo eyelets in the upper connecting rods to strengthen and provide less friction. Stock shox, just painted the shock bodies, added tamiya O-rings, and O-ring shock grease to prevent leaks and less friction. I love how it handles now, but I am currently working on adding Sway Bars. Completely ridiculous work done on a 1/18 plastic truck with butter diffs, but im cray cray that way! 😅
I had 65mm shox on it and was using the many shox mount positions available with the tt02s shox mount, but needed the 65's for another project....my half dozen completely modified WLtoys a9x9 trucks/buggies. All are 3s and have C.F. chassis and mods like servo reversed to the other side of the car to allow room for full length LiPos. They are pretty much anything but XK anymore.
20240303_031854.jpg20240303_032314.jpg20240303_032252.jpg

Last edited:

Slick2500,
could I please ask for your help!
I had my ecx running so well, but now I have an issue.
I bought 2 sets of the Carisma GTB14 diff conversion sets, I only installed one in the rear diff so far. everything ran so good I ended up really driving it a lot at work. (all werx no play, ya know?) well I have developed an issue.
if I hold the truck in the air over pavement and place the front wheels down on the pavement (with rear wheels still in the air) it pulls then barely slips at the clutch.
if I do the same with the rear wheels they don't pull much at all and the clutch doesn't slip. so really I only have front wheel drive mostly.

I took it apart and cleaned the clutch as I noticed a lil bearing oil got in it. the pads look worn to me but I got it used so I have no way to gauge if they are worn. I should have taken a pic! I think i will try to replace them anyway. I also inspected the rear center driveshaft bevel gear and the diffrential's outer bevel gear as they are still stock plastic and they look absolutely perfect. after putting it back together I just test drove and it hasn't changed, it's still has no real power at the rear wheels. oh and the "D" slot in the driveshaft bevel gear isn't worn either it is actually tight fitting and the screw isn't stripped and has loctight on it so it seems to be holding fast as well as the the driveshat input on the other side of the clutch that the driveshaft fits into, it's tight. I am at a loss and have no idea what to check.
could the new metal diffrential internals be the culprit? I didn't disassemble the rear diff but it does seem to be operating correctly when I spin one rear wheel.the other turns opposite direction. and when I turn both rear wheels by hand the front wheels turn. i call "Gremlins"!
please 🙏 I'm begging you, do you have any ideas?
I will be disassembling it again if you can think of what I should check I will quickly and won't waste your time.

thank you for all you've already done for ecx owners!

☆p.s. this EXACT issue happened to my Traxxas stampede vxl 4wd. I never figured out what it was either!!!! I just ended up going to jennysrc and got two new diffs, a new driveshaft and replaced the clutch. whatever it was went away, I even used the parts I removed from the stampede to build a 4wd vxl rustler, and it WORKED WITHOUT ISSUE! (I used all the parts except the center driveshaft as it was to short so maybe that was the stampede's issue, I've heard putting rubber O-rings can alleviate front or rear wheel no spin issues in traxxas with its sliding driveshaft, but that cannot be the case here with it having a dogbone style driveshaft , right?)
I'm afraid I have the same issue and can't for the life of me guess what it could be! unless it's a real gremlin's evil magic! 😈 😆😭

Last edited:
I want to say it's the slipper as I know even all the way tight it still slips. I had nothing but trouble with the slipper in mine and I ended up modifying a Losi Mini 8 slipper to fit.

Slick2500,
could I please ask for your help!
I had my ecx running so well, but now I have an issue.
I bought 2 sets of the Carisma GTB14 diff conversion sets, I only installed one in the rear diff so far. everything ran so good I ended up really driving it a lot at work. (all werx no play, ya know?) well I have developed an issue.
if I hold the truck in the air over pavement and place the front wheels down on the pavement (with rear wheels still in the air) it pulls then barely slips at the clutch.
if I do the same with the rear wheels they don't pull much at all and the clutch doesn't slip. so really I only have front wheel drive mostly.

I took it apart and cleaned the clutch as I noticed a lil bearing oil got in it. the pads look worn to me but I got it used so I have no way to gauge if they are worn. I should have taken a pic! I think i will try to replace them anyway. I also inspected the rear center driveshaft bevel gear and the diffrential's outer bevel gear as they are still stock plastic and they look absolutely perfect. after putting it back together I just test drove and it hasn't changed, it's still has no real power at the rear wheels. oh and the "D" slot in the driveshaft bevel gear isn't worn either it is actually tight fitting and the screw isn't stripped and has loctight on it so it seems to be holding fast as well as the the driveshat input on the other side of the clutch that the driveshaft fits into, it's tight. I am at a loss and have no idea what to check.
could the new met diffrential internals be the culprit? I didn't disassemble the rear diff but it does seem to be operating correctly when I spin one rear wheel.the other turns opposite direction. and when I turn both rear wheels by hand the front wheels turn. i call "Gremlins"!
please 🙏 I'm begging you, do you have any ideas?
I will be disassembling it again if you can think of what I should check I will quickly and won't waste your time.

thank you for all you've already done for ecx owners!
I want to say it's the slipper as I know even all the way tight it still slips. I had nothing but trouble with the slipper in mine and I ended up modifying a Losi Mini 8 slipper to fit.
I have had a feeling that could be it, but just wasn't sure , I read your parts list to replace the spur and such. Looks like I will be trying that. thank you SO MUCH for your reply! this lil ECX has really stolen my heart, handles so well my buddy (better driver than me) beat rc10.4 and kyosho Ultima with it in a grudge match on a rather short course at McDuff Park here in VA.. we laughed all the way to hobbytown as the bet was for a new reedy shorty LiPo!!!!
so I have to pay it some respect and get it working! sux when u have something tuned out and happy just to have it mess up, but I live for the upgrades! almost as fun as racing, stunting and bashing!
thanks again , I will tear it down tonight and can order parts Friday. will report back. 🤙

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back