2wd vs 4wd Ruckus

AaronB

Hi all,

I'm in the process of getting into RC with the kids. I ordered up a BTD AMP MT for my son's upcoming 6th birthday. Should be right up his alley being a huge lego fanatic (room is already filled with all his Star Wars sets from the last year), and if the girls seem interested I'll probably look at RTR AMPs for them too.

As for myself, I've been eyeballing the Ruckus, but have been having trouble deciding between the 2wd and 4wd. It looks like there's only about a $30 difference for the brushless version of each, so is there any major advantage to the 2wd over 4wd other than simplicity?

We'll be mostly bashing around the yard (grass and landscaping) with some trips up to Grandpa's farm and a few trips to the local off road bike trails. We live in an area where we usually have snow about 3-4 months a year, so that's a consideration too. I've got a background in racing full size cars and motocross prior to that, so having things torn apart for maintenance and upgrades is not offputting.

I know I'd have a blast with either, which is, I guess why the decision is so tough :)

Looking forward to the feedback

Welcome to the forum @AaronB!

Your kids will love the Amp! We have many, including myself, here that have younger kids running that RC.

For the brushless setups, the electronics are the same except for the battery. The 2wd BL comes with a 2400mAh and the 4wd BL comes with a 3300mAh battery. That is likely not an issue though, as most people go directly to a lipo battery. As this is probably the best initial upgrade you can do to any of the ECX vehicles. The major difference though between the 2wd and the 4wd is the layout of the chassis. The 2wd is very easy to work on, but has alot of the weight towards the rear of the vehicle. Makes for fun wheelies. The 4wd platform makes working on the mesh or drivetrain a little more work intensive, but the weight balance is much better. Though they still want to nosedive a tad if you're not careful on jumps.

Owning both, I'm torn. My 2WD is super easy to work on and doesn't really have a lot of issues. Biggest weak spot is the CVD axles. That's an easy fix, though.

My 4X4 is more fun bashing, but a huge pain to work on. I also break it more... but the 4WD can power through a lot more than the 2WD can as well as better handling.

T-Bone Racing bumpers, front and rear, are a must for both.

Also, I've put a massive motor and 1/8th scale wheels on my 4X4, so it's drive train is much more compromised. I fought with the plastic spur gear constantly and it's a lot of work to adjust and replace it. However, I just installed 1/8th scale wheels on my 2WD and it seems to be handling fine.

I don't think I helped at all... lol.

It sounds as though the best option would be one of each ;)

I think I'll probably end up starting with the 4wd, though. I could see how the added torque on the drive train from the 1/8 tire and wheel combo could cause some extra stress, I'm sure a little less weight and less traction helps to reduce the shock and strain with the 2wd.

I've got a set of the TBone bumpers and the FastEddy bearings ordered for the AMP. Since I went with the BTD option I figured I may as well just get that stuff out of the way the first time. It sounds like I should probably follow suit when I order up the Ruckus.

Thanks for the continued feedback.

-Aaron

It sounds as though the best option would be one of each ;)

I think I'll probably end up starting with the 4wd, though. I could see how the added torque on the drive train from the 1/8 tire and wheel combo could cause some extra stress, I'm sure a little less weight and less traction helps to reduce the shock and strain with the 2wd.

I've got a set of the TBone bumpers and the FastEddy bearings ordered for the AMP. Since I went with the BTD option I figured I may as well just get that stuff out of the way the first time. It sounds like I should probably follow suit when I order up the Ruckus.

Thanks for the continued feedback.

-Aaron
Order an extra set of the 12mm hexes. The ECX 4WD versions use ones different from the 2WD and every other brand I've come across. The axle is BARELY larger than Traxxis and others. It's frustrating.

Also, brushless. That will probably be a must for you. And the Servo Eliminator from RPM and a new servo like the Turnigy 1258TG.

Latest posts

Members online

Back