Stephen1806

Im new to rc i have a 1/10 ruckus 4x4
In 4 days managed to motors onfire through use
Day 1 factory motor 13t 550
Day 2 new motor
Day 3 made it 2wd 15t 540
Day 4 15t 550 titan 4x4 again
Hobbyshop guy has no idea how to help me
Any ideas plsthe motors almost all look like below after20181217_202545.jpg20181217_141618.jpg

Are you running in tall grass possibly?
Over geared?
Running motor too long?

If tired of burning up brushed motors, I would look into a 4-pole 550 brushless motor to get them big tires churning.

Front lawn pretty much dead got a small thing of leaves with a piece of cardboard overtop for ramp nothing crazy

I wanted to venture back in time, and I did so with a low winning bid brushed motor. I went out and bought a Hobbywing ESC to be able to use the new motor. The motor was nothing to powerful (17T) and I certainly did not have it overgeared. I have no luck with brushed motors being ran longer than 5~6 minutes. At one point I had measured 210*F. I went out and got another brand of 17T brushed motor...same things happened.

So im thinking it needs a heat sink
4x4 VS 2wd motor placement is different
2wd drive is between wheels and wood have great airflow
4x4 motor is under the shell and behind esc
What do you think?

It would all depend on how hot the motor is getting. A heatsink may bring temps down to where a motor is more comfortable, but for how long? Definitely get one with a fan on if worried about airflow issue.

Like I said in earlier post, I wanted to re-live my brushed days, as I still had a pack of brushes in my pit box. After the brushed motors fell short of performance, I quickly tossed the whole idea. I wasn't gonna waste anymore time, or money trying to live in the past.

Last edited:
To be completely honest a brushed motor is not strong enough for these trucks and you will continue to burn them up. This is a common issue with all brushed 4x4 monster trucks, I see the same thing with the Stampede 4x4 XL5 and the Arrma Granite 4x4 Mega. I would seriously go with the Max10 3660 combo suggested above.

The cost of trying to keep a brushed system will escalate past the price of a cheaper brushless setup quickly.

My 4x4 brushed ruckus (2s) did the same thing, no flames, but my motor looked the same when I took it apart. The copper spring holding the brush burned through causing failure.

Hobbyking

I bought this setup for 45usd at the time, 65 now. It has worked well. Motor stays cool to the touch. A little more power and speed, no wheelies?, but I'm not worried about the heat.15454871377777101173627002651341.jpg

Also check all your bearings. Disconnect center diff and spin wheels. If there are any that have drag, then your wheel bearing may be shot. Also check the diff bearings.
I also agree that the cheap brushless options are pretty worthwhile. They get you ripping hard enough that when they do wear out, you'll be willing to pay for a better combo.

Latest posts

Members online

Back