AMP upgrade suggestions wanted!

mike10131

So i just got the amp mt in December. This is my first "real" rc car. I'm thinking of going brushless bc i want it to be faster. Looking for suggestions! I see that there are some guys up here that have amp's that go 70 mph! Wow! Anyways, ive done a couple simple upgrades ive upgraded the bearing to fast eddy's, and got a lipo 5000mAh 2s battery. I just got a steel gear (87t) but have not put it in yet. Id like to keep the same radio, and it looks like this can be done by using the ECX 2.4GHz Receiver (ECX13003)? any help/info is greatly appreciated

Kinexsis combo

If you use a steel spur make sure you get a hardened pinion also.

ECX9001 Metal gear set would be a peace of mind upgrade plastic gears may or probably not last brushless https://www.ebay.com/itm/ECX-RC-900...h=item2ef49c05cd:g:eYIAAOSwzaJX4C0i:rk:3:pf:0

There are other things like Goolrc combos could be hit or miss with those and really no warranty.

Also some of the cheaper stuff can be shipped from China cheaper plus some Hobbywing stuff if you don't mind waiting.

Last edited:
Thank you for the info! Think I'll go ahead and order the kinexsis combo

Thank you for the info! Think I'll go ahead and order the kinexsis combo

Might want to get the 4000kv combo the 3000kv would good also but the 4000kv would be faster on 2s don't know the speed your looking for. The 3000kv will give better run time and really come alive on a 3s lipo.

So i just got the amp mt in December. This is my first "real" rc car. I'm thinking of going brushless bc i want it to be faster. Looking for suggestions! I see that there are some guys up here that have amp's that go 70 mph! Wow! Anyways, ive done a couple simple upgrades ive upgraded the bearing to fast eddy's, and got a lipo 5000mAh 2s battery. I just got a steel gear (87t) but have not put it in yet. Id like to keep the same radio, and it looks like this can be done by using the ECX 2.4GHz Receiver (ECX13003)? any help/info is greatly appreciated

You don't have to go brushless to make this thing a ton of fun.

This is what I did and it is plenty of speed and power for this truck and it runs on the stock electronics just fine:

https://www.ecxforum.com/threads/amp-mt-upgrades-for-stock-chassis-electronics-fun.2105/

For your budget of $75 this would be good.

Just make sure you buy a couple extra spur gears and the pad kits. I have already burned through one...

I raced my AMP/Circuit on astroturf with a 13.5t brushless motor WITH the stock plastic transmission gears AND a plastic pinion. No problems.

Of course, a crazy overpowered brushless motor (5000kv) might make hash of the plastic gears, but IMO that's far too much motor for the AMP.

I raced my AMP/Circuit on astroturf with a 13.5t brushless motor WITH the stock plastic transmission gears AND a plastic pinion. No problems.

Of course, a crazy overpowered brushless motor (5000kv) might make hash of the plastic gears, but IMO that's far too much motor for the AMP.

I was bashing mine around fairly hard so I am sure that is what caused it.

I agree though the brushless motors in this truck seem like a little overkill to me. I am sure it is exciting though. I might go for a 12T on this after I get bored with the 15T. And up the pinion to a 20. I believe it has an 18 in it stock...

Brushless motors are fine in the stock AMP. You'll want a 3000kv at least and a 4000kv would be fine. The stock 87t spur results in fairly low gearing. When I ran the 17.5t brushless motor (approx 2800kv) I installed a 72t Associated spur (from a B3/B4). In my Circuit i ran a 78t spur with the plastic pinion.

Hello Mike, congratulations on your Amp, it's a great starter RC truck. It was my first RC truck and to this say one of my favorites out of the 24 rc's that I have. When I bought mine I paid $ 149, I would say now it's worth about 350 to 375 dollars if I was to sell it today, which I wouldn't. Mine is totally upgraded from suspension to motor and battery.
I run mine on a Gen Ace 7000mAh 3S LiPo and a Castle brushless 4600 combo. I would recommend that you do your upgrades a little at a time if you are short on money. I hate saying this but you can get some good deals online eBay, remain ECT. However I do like supporting our local hobby shops as they are disappearing in front of our eyes.
Also I might mentioned, you can put bigger tires on the rear and get more speed also. That up grade will cause more heat on the brushed motors so cooling with a good CMF 5 volt fan will help. With the Amp you have to use your ingenuity to do certain upgradeds, for instance there is no rear bumper to add a wheelie bar (which you will need if you go to bigger tires) so you will have to design your own mount. There are a lot you can do to upgrade your Amp just think it out as it's a great accompaniment when done and you did it, and if it didn't work, re-design it.20190109_165658.jpg20190113_200425.jpg20190108_163509.jpg20190108_163305.jpg20190108_163249.jpg20181206_182207.jpg20181206_182150.jpg20181206_182133.jpg

Update! I just got my kenexsis brushless motor/esc combo in the mail! I've changed the pinion to a 20T. I bought a set so I plan on playing with the ratio. I also got the ecx13003 to avoid having to buy a new radio which I'm thinking was a mistake but I'll stick with it for a bit. I've definitely gone over my budget of $75 but after really doing research I realized that was inevitable. Thanks for all of the info and pointers. This forum has taught me a lot for sure. Next purchase will be a 3s lipo. I have a 2s 5000mah for now

Attachments

• 154904706739559324158.jpg
    154904706739559324158.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 8
Hello Mike, congratulations on your Amp, it's a great starter RC truck. It was my first RC truck and to this say one of my favorites out of the 24 rc's that I have. When I bought mine I paid $ 149, I would say now it's worth about 350 to 375 dollars if I was to sell it today, which I wouldn't. Mine is totally upgraded from suspension to motor and battery.
I run mine on a Gen Ace 7000mAh 3S LiPo and a Castle brushless 4600 combo. I would recommend that you do your upgrades a little at a time if you are short on money. I hate saying this but you can get some good deals online eBay, remain ECT. However I do like supporting our local hobby shops as they are disappearing in front of our eyes.
Also I might mentioned, you can put bigger tires on the rear and get more speed also. That up grade will cause more heat on the brushed motors so cooling with a good CMF 5 volt fan will help. With the Amp you have to use your ingenuity to do certain upgradeds, for instance there is no rear bumper to add a wheelie bar (which you will need if you go to bigger tires) so you will have to design your own mount. There are a lot you can do to upgrade your Amp just think it out as it's a great accompaniment when done and you did it, and if it didn't work, re-design it.View attachment 4658View attachment 4659View attachment 4660View attachment 4661View attachment 4662View attachment 4663View attachment 4664View attachment 4665
Also I might mentioned, you can put bigger tires on the rear and get more speed also. That up grade will cause more heat on the brushed motors so cooling with a good CMF 5 volt fan will help. With the Amp you have to use your ingenuity to do certain upgradeds, for instance there is no rear bumper to add a wheelie bar (which you will need if you go to bigger tires) so you will have to design your own mount. There are a lot you can do to upgrade your Amp just think it out as it's a great accompaniment when done and you did it, and if it didn't work, re-design it.View attachment 4658View attachment 4659View attachment 4660View attachment 4661View attachment 4662View attachment 4663View attachment 4664View attachment 4665
Thanks @weave I just got the kenexsis 4000kv today. Haven't got to try it out yet, thought I could use the ecx13003 receiver and keep the stock radio but I got the V3 (need the V4) by accident so I went ahead ordered a new RC4GS radio and receiver. I've also added t-bone front and back bumpers and wheelie bar.
1549068568295104574493.jpg15490686192531245466986.jpg

What diameter shaft should I look for when choosing my system? Found a goolrc on Amazon for what seems like a good price, 5mm shaft diameter

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back