AMP upgrades, opinions!!

ironhead79

I just bought a amp m/t, looking for some speed, acceleration upgrades. It's 100% stock. Would like to know what other supporting mods I'll need for different upgrades. I'm a complete noobie at r/c. Teach this old dog some new tricks. Thx. Paul......

Welcome aboard. Usually the first purchase is a LiPo battery and compatible charger. This already gives the truck a bit more pep, and more importantly it stays peppy for way longer. Fresh battery feeling for 2/3 of the battery instead of only the first minute!

After that a popular upgrade is to go brushless. This requires a lot of gear though; not just the motor and ESC (GoolRC is a cheap option that works well for most people, on 2s at least), but also either a new standalone receiver (ECX 13003) or a new radio set (TX+RX) like the FlySky GT3C or Austar AX5.

With a more powerful brushless motor, parts which may fail on you are the transmission (metal gear upgrade from ECX is available), driveshafts (mine failed on stock power even) and possibly the plastic spur gear (you can go metal or upgrade to 32P, larger-toothed).

The tires would also be a worthwhile upgrade, but fairly expensive. Probably only worth it if you do a lot of loose-surface running.

As you can see, it's not hard to spend $150 rightaway. Or $250...

Oh, almost forgot! To fix the sloppy steering, the RPM (or Hot Racing) servo saver eliminator is almost a must-have upgrade. But when you have that, you will probably strip the servo, so you also need a metal geared servo (Power HD 1501MG is dirt cheap and more than good enough IMO).

Welcome aboard. Usually the first purchase is a LiPo battery and compatible charger. This already gives the truck a bit more pep, and more importantly it stays peppy for way longer. Fresh battery feeling for 2/3 of the battery instead of only the first minute!

After that a popular upgrade is to go brushless. This requires a lot of gear though; not just the motor and ESC (GoolRC is a cheap option that works well for most people, on 2s at least), but also either a new standalone receiver (ECX 13003) or a new radio set (TX+RX) like the FlySky GT3C or Austar AX5.

With a more powerful brushless motor, parts which may fail on you are the transmission (metal gear upgrade from ECX is available), driveshafts (mine failed on stock power even) and possibly the plastic spur gear (you can go metal or upgrade to 32P, larger-toothed).

The tires would also be a worthwhile upgrade, but fairly expensive. Probably only worth it if you do a lot of loose-surface running.

As you can see, it's not hard to spend $150 rightaway. Or $250...

Oh, almost forgot! To fix the sloppy steering, the RPM (or Hot Racing) servo saver eliminator is almost a must-have upgrade. But when you have that, you will probably strip the servo, so you also need a metal geared servo (Power HD 1501MG is dirt cheap and more than good enough IMO).
Thx for the info. This is my 1st rc EVER, so I very green. Where are these dreadful shoulder screws I've read about? Pics would help if possible. Would the Tazer twin esc combo be a decent upgrade & would i still use the stock controller?? Thx again...

Last edited:
The shoulder screws are on top and bottom of the front steering hubs. They tend to strip and fall out and are very difficult to replace locally. I've had to order 2 packs from Horizon Hobby. I replaced my front hubs with Hot racing aluminum and loctited the screws and have had no problems. I super glued my son's in his stock hubs (be careful to only get glue on the thread of the step screw). They have held for the last couple of hrs of bashing, so it may prove to be a good option.

Thx for the reply's, now to figure out if I want lipo or motor first !!!! Still wondering about the tazer twin upgrade..

Just ordered the Gool 4300kv with esc and program card, steel spur, steel trans gears & pinion, flysky gt3c with receiver, multi charger and 5000mah lipo By Venom, and lipo bag!!

Last edited:
Just ordered the Gool 4300kv with ESC and program card, steel spur, steel trans gears & pinion, flysky gt3c with receiver, multi charger and 5000mah LiPo By Venom, and LiPo bag!!
Better order some high traction tires. That baby is gonna scoot.

Wowsers--You got it all! Except the servo saver eliminator & servo that will vastly improve your steering--just the servo will be a good start = Power HD 1501MG.

[
Wowsers--You got it all! Except the servo saver eliminator & servo that will vastly improve your steering--just the servo will be a good start = Power HD 1501MG.
I've been looking at some servo's, axle shafts, shocks. All the parts arrived today except the battery, but I'm not home yet. So the install will have to wait

It's quite surprising how much difference a good high torque servo makes. It seems like, 'ya I should get a metal gear servo cuz it's stronger' BUT the high torque and faster speed makes the whole truck ROCK like a whole new car~! I would say it should be right up on the top of the upgrade list. There are lots of great servos out there--I have a dozen HiTEC 645MGs running in cars but next time I'll try the Power HD 1501MG for $15 Amazon Prime cuz of @xlDooM's recommendation :) BUT then again even though it's half the price = $15 vs $30 -- I have HiTecs that are 15+ years old and running strong!! I even have them in eMaxxs which is quite a load to steer!

I could never understand why my competitive 1/10 buggy racing friends would pay $120 for the best Airtronics/Sanwa servo--I thought a servo was a servo and it it turns the wheels it's working fine. Then I finally coughed up $35 for a high torque 645MG--My eyeballs were opened up to a whole new world!

I got mine at $9 so it was a no brainer :) it's not like our cars will fall out of the sky and crash land in a field when the servo craps out!

Ordered the Power HD servo & the Dynamite tool set. Got it all put together last night, except for the battery. Now waiting for the servo & tools.

Ok, got some stuff installed. Bought another motor, gool 5200kv and used a 20t pinion gear, ecx f&r aluminum shocks. Got 33mph with a 2s lipo. Phone zip tied on front. So maybe 34-35 without phone. Is that a good speed????????

A good speed for what? That's for you to decide.

For racing on a 1/10 dirt track or 1/10 indoor carpet or Astro? Probably not. For doing speed runs in a straight line up and down the street? Sure!

Just doing a speed run up & down the street. Just wondering.
A good speed for what? That's for you to decide.

For racing on a 1/10 dirt track or 1/10 indoor carpet or Astro? Probably not. For doing speed runs in a straight line up and down the street? Sure!

I think you've probably reached the speed limit with your current gearing. If you want more, get a 72t spur and a 30t pinion (for a start, you can also try a 78t spur with 28-30 t pinion). Hot Racing may make some steel spurs that grow down to 78t, I'm not sure. But a smaller spur will give you more top speed. You can also get Associated spurs for the B4/T4 and drill them out with a 5.2mm bit so it'll fit on the ECX topshaft. Also get the Associated B4/T4 slipper pads. You can use the metal slipper discs from your car.

I run a 13.5t (approx 2800kv) Hobbywing Justock in my Circuit with 78/28 final gearing and it will pull wheelies on carpet and lay down rubber on asphalt.

Better order some high traction tires. That baby is gonna scoot.
Does anyone have some suggestions for some good tires that don't balloon like the stock ones, spun one off the bead. Also what size?? Thx..

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back