AMP Upgrades?

mattyd4201taim

Hey all, New to the r/c world and would be great if some one can post upgrades and where to get parts. And what's the difference between 1800mah and 3800mah battery? Thanks

@mattyd4201taim you can find upgrades at your local hobby shop, horizon hobbies, amazon, and ebay pretty easily. You can also find a list of recommended upgrades in our "Recommended ECX AMP Upgrades" thread.

If we're just comparing mAh vs mAh then the difference is going to be run time. Think of mAh as the fuel tank, the bigger the number the longer you'll be able to run.

cool cool...I'm just looking to boost it up...will more than likely go brushless with a 2s lipo. will def check out my local hobby shop to see if they have and brushless kits.. there is one thing iv been checking out and its a light bar for the amp and where do they normally plug into and can you plug one in to a stock amp setup?

a light bar for the amp and where do they normally plug into and can you plug one in to a stock amp setup?
Most LED light accessories feature a standard receiver-type plug that connects to a free (AUX) port on the receiver. Since the AMP comes with a ESC/Rx combo unit you'll have to power the light accessory from a battery pack. You can usually get these at your hobby store-- a black plastic 4x AA pack with wires. You can add in a switch or plug to disconnect the power (instead of pulling a battery from the pack). You can get this pre-built AA battery holder that would probably work pretty well for a DIY LED light bar on the AMP. https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxas-4cell-aa-battery-holder-w-switch-cover-tra1523/p49945

Welcome Matty, here is my AMP upgrades that i did on mine. This was my first RC vehicle and it moves, clocked at 60 mph. It has a Castle 4600KV combo motor running on a Gen Ace 7000 mAh 60C 3S Lipo battery. It Will do a wheelie for one block. Has all hardened steel gearing, including spur and pinion and CV'S . Has push buttons for high intensity lights and motor fan which runs on it's own Lipo battery. I put .99 cent plastic drawer handles on the top and on the bed to protect the body when and if It flips. It gets around 45 minutes of run time wit h the Gen Ace 7200mAh 60C LiPo. Have fun upgrading yours.

2470.jpeg 2480.jpeg 2482.jpeg 20171113_172033.jpg 20171113_172026.jpg 20171113_172015.jpg 20170815_222627.jpg

Weave - really cool light setup.

I recently bought some duratrax lockup 2.8. Is there a difference in rear and front tires for 2wd trucks?

Weave, if you're asking if there are tires designed specifically for front and rear use on a 2WD car... yes. Sometimes. Usually depends on the application. If you find a tire that is not specifically labeled for front or rear use, then the tire is an "all around" use tire and can be run on all four wheels. When you start seeing F/R use specified is when you get in to a particular application like racing and then tires can get surface specific as well as F/R specific. In those cases, rear tires are designed "straight line" traction in mind whereas front tires are designed with a tread to help the vehicle change direction. (Although there are exceptions to every "rule"...) And sometimes the only difference between a front and rear tire is the width (more common on buggies).

Cool. Ok I'll have to go back to check out what the fronts look like. Least have back up rear wheels

Although, I have to mention that I've seen people run front-specific tires on the rear and vice-versa. Or rear-specific tires on all four corners. You can start with mfr. recommendations/labeling and then use whatever works for you. :)

Matty, I have big monster tires on the rear of my AMP and have absolutely no problems with the handling of the truck, in fact it handles much, much better.
At half throttle the truck will brody around a corner instead of flipping but you have to have the right suspension set-up. I have other mods also, such as; brushless motor, all hardened steel gearing, lifted battery compartment for 3S 7000mAh 60/120 C Gens Ace Lipo and super cooling which is very important. I have 24 RC vehicles which I do a lot of experimenting with. One vehicle I have has 4 high flow fans on it some which runs on it's own Lipo battery.
Here is one of my upgraded 4x4's;

20180318_124136.jpg 20180211_214604.jpg 20180319_144710.jpg 20180319_144630.jpg 20180319_144559.jpg 20180319_144556.jpg 20180203_201442.jpg 20180203_201442.jpg 20180203_201143.jpg 20180129_185220.jpg

that green one is wicked cool looking! I'm running lock up mt on the front and rear and man what a difference. specially in the snow for a 2wd amp. I recently just ordered a castle sidewinder 5700kv motor combo from horizon. and I just installed the ecx rear aluminum shocks hoping my lhs gets in the front aluminum shocks so I can swap out the fronts...the only complaint I have about the ecx aluminum shocks are the springs. I feel they are too weak but I don't know still a newbie to the r/c world

You will like that Castle brushless motor, you will see a big difference in performance. Is the motor for your AMP, if so you will need a new radio/receiver as the stock radio that comes with the AMP won't work.

What can I use for a receiver in my sons amp truck mt in replacement of the stock esc receiver combo. The ECX 13003 is on back order

Welcome to the forums @daredevils !
The short answer to your question is, Yes.
The hurdle is finding one that fits/scales correctly, and doesn't look weird or stupid, but if weird and stupid is what you are going for, then, rock on! LOL That was my attempt at a bit of humor. LOL

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back