Another smoking part

Fdnavy

Ok after all the other upgrades my steering servo seems to have crapped the bed. Everything was working fine then steering just quit. After 10 min smoke started coming from it. Would driving through a puddle cause this? Not a lot of water just some small puddles.

Is the servo stock? If so...not surprised the stock ecx servos are pretty bad. Water shouldn’t make it start smoking it would most likely just quit. One of my servos started omitting strange smells and I pulled it apart for sits and giggles. What I found was the little electric motor brushes were fried right off and that caused parts in the circuits to burn up.

Is the servo stock? If so...not surprised the stock ecx servos are pretty bad. Water shouldn’t make it start smoking it would most likely just quit. One of my servos started omitting strange smells and I pulled it apart for sits and giggles. What I found was the little electric motor brushes were fried right off and that caused parts in the circuits to burn up.
Yes. It was stock. I upgraded the esc, motor and radio but held off on the steering. Any replacement recommendations.

There’s are plenty of options to choose from what features are ya looking for?

(Waterproof, metal gear, speedy/torque)

There’s are plenty of options to choose from what features are ya looking for?

(Waterproof, metal gear, speedy/torque)
Waterproof and metal gears would be nice. As would a little less slop In the steering.

The jx 6113mg servo is great I use two of them and never have problems with them. They aren’t waterproof but I jumped my ruckus into (suppose to go over) a pool and the servo wasn’t bothered at all.
In my opinion driving in water just makes this hobby frustrating water gets in everything corrosive stuff gets in the car ya ya ya I learned that quickly when my parents started making me pay for them, and repairs.

Savox sells a waterproof servo, never had that one though.

All I have to say is look around. Everyone has their brand. Personally I like JX servos and SAVOX. JX is an offshore brand but as long as you don’t get the super cheap ones they have you will most likely have good luck with them, I think they sell WP servos too. Look for cordless or brushless servos they last long and don’t fry as easy or often as cored servos and they almos always are more powerful.

Savox is a more expensive racing brand but they won’t let you down as long as you run a glitch buster which is a must with them.

Check out AMAINHOBBIES website they got all sorts of RC goodies.

Will the JX Servo PDI-6113MG work? I know it is not water proof but I have read positive reviews about it. I would also like to know if the Traxxas waterproof receiver box will fit in the amp. What servo saver will work for this?

Will the JX Servo PDI-6113MG work? I know it is not water proof but I have read positive reviews about it. I would also like to know if the Traxxas waterproof receiver box will fit in the amp. What servo saver will work for this?
You won’t really need a servo saver with the 6113mg coreless one it’s metal geared it is 25 tooth spline and it comes with horns so you shouldn’t have to worry about buying any. The 6113mg will work it is more than enough torque for my ecx scts and I like it’s speed it is fast enough for anything I would do with it. I ran mine with no servo saver in a racing buggy and it worked fine I still use that servo but it just wasn’t fast enough with the low voltage system.

I don’t know about the Traxxas water proof box but i never had an amp so I wouldn’t know. It’s not all that big though so you shouldn’t have any problems just use good quality clear double sided adhesive all I do is listen to racers at local tracks and just ask questions everyone has a little trick up their sleeves and I’m sure most are glad to help.

Thank you. Are you saying the 6113 comes with horns? Sorry for the confusion. I understand I don’t need the Servo saver, but should I get the rom servo saver eliminator?

Yes it does come with horns.

It’s a good idea it will help with some of steering slop

Just installed this servo/horn in my Barrage. It runs great, but after reading this I’m wondering if I should go back to the stock plastic horn. It’s a slightly better fit also. My weak link is now the steering knuckles and that’s $30 for the upgrade aluminum ones, compared to the cheap cost of a new plastic horn. I guess if the knuckles break, it’s a good excuse to upgrade. I want them anyway. So should I keep the aluminum horn, or should I use the plastic one?

EB0E5EC4-7090-4066-8FA7-FA546626AADA.jpeg BB8EDFB4-EE89-4BCD-8353-63055F50D1BE.jpeg

View attachment 3717 View attachment 3718 Just installed this servo/horn in my Barrage. It runs great, but after reading this I’m wondering if I should go back to the stock plastic horn. It’s a slightly better fit also. My weak link is now the steering knuckles and that’s $30 for the upgrade aluminum ones, compared to the cheap cost of a new plastic horn. I guess if the knuckles break, it’s a good excuse to upgrade. I want them anyway. So should I keep the aluminum horn, or should I use the plastic one ?
That is completely up to you but personally I would get aluminum parts and keep metal servo horn for looks and besides with a servo rated for 20kg/cm you shouldn’t have to worry too much about torque problems just make sure you don’t turn while wheels are stuck on something you can really mess things up. I’m sure there are metal servo mounted servo savers that are Traxxas style, made by integy or something.

Does that diamond plate come with that car or did you buy it somewhere? I was thinking about getting some it looks good.

Thanks for the compliments, my truck appreciates it. 9FC4A7E2-E606-4BA4-B652-8ABF8CA8EA82.jpeg

I tried to use the stickers to help cut out some of the diamond plate pieces. I measured or cut out thin cardboard “ the aluminum sheets come with a nice piece of cardboard for protection “ and then transferred to the aluminum before cutting. A lil edge sanding/shaping, and some double sided tape and done. I like it, the diamond plate is not to thick, or too thin. Good stuff

Fdnavy, the AMP is a beginner RC so it doesn't come with the best equipment, however once upgraded it a GREAT truck. I have one all upgraded and its one of my best trucks and one of the fastest. I would differently upgrade to an all metal servo, I prefer Savox but there is a lot of good brands out there.

20170921_195724.jpg

Just installed this servo/horn in my Barrage. It runs great, but after reading this I’m wondering if I should go back to the stock plastic horn. It’s a slightly better fit also. My weak link is now the steering knuckles and that’s $30 for the upgrade aluminum ones, compared to the cheap cost of a new plastic horn. I guess if the knuckles break, it’s a good excuse to upgrade. I want them anyway. So should I keep the aluminum horn, or should I use the plastic one?

View attachment 3717 View attachment 3718
I went back to the stock plastic servo arm. It just lines up better. The metal arm caused some binding due to a lower and closer to the servo location of the ball. The actual servo that I chose is strong, and I like it.

I put in a JX 6113 metal gear Servo and I also zip rod the Servo saver until the servo saver eliminator comes in. It’s a night and day difference on how the car handles. Much much easier to control. So far I have added a kinexis 4000kv brushless motor and esc, Traxxas radio and receiver, 2s 5500 mah LiPo, and the new servo. I’d like to find better tires and shocks next.

The jx 6113mg servo is great I use two of them and never have problems with them. They aren’t waterproof but I jumped my ruckus into (suppose to go over) a pool and the servo wasn’t bothered at all.
In my opinion driving in water just makes this hobby frustrating water gets in everything corrosive stuff gets in the car ya ya ya I learned that quickly when my parents started making me pay for them, and repairs.

Savox sells a waterproof servo, never had that one though.

All I have to say is look around. Everyone has their brand. Personally I like JX servos and SAVOX. JX is an offshore brand but as long as you don’t get the super cheap ones they have you will most likely have good luck with them, I think they sell WP servos too. Look for cordless or brushless servos they last long and don’t fry as easy or often as cored servos and they almos always are more powerful.

Savox is a more expensive racing brand but they won’t let you down as long as you run a glitch buster which is a must with them.

Check out AMAINHOBBIES website they got all sorts of RC goodies.
If I was going to buy any of the JX servos it would be the PDI-6221MG before the 6113mg, why pay $23 for a 13kg servo when you can get a 20kg servo for $12? https://www.banggood.com/JX-PDI-622...tail-top-buytogether-auto__1&cur_warehouse=CN

6113mg specs
Operating Speed: (4.8V) 0.125sec/60°
Operating Speed: (6V) 0.103sec/60°
Stall Torque: (4.8V) 11.53 kg.cm
Stall Torque: (6V) 13.83kg.cm

6221mg specs
Operating Speed (4.8V): 0.18 sec/60°
Operating Speed (6V): 0.16 sec/60°
Stall Torque (4.8V): 17.25 kg.cm (239.55oz/in)
Stall Torque (6V): 20.32 kg-cm (281.89 oz/in)

For bashing torque > speed.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back