Anyone use "RC Screwz" SS fastener sets in the car?

i_r_beej

I've never been a fan of Philips head screws-- strip and round out ALL. THE. TIME. Well, not all the time-- I am careful. But still.

I live in the Pacific NW and we're deep into our soggy season. I don't like to drive in the wet, but out here it can sometimes be unavoidable. Even so, I stay away from forging through puddles.

I've noticed some rust at some of the stock fasteners and I'm interested in eventually replacing them with higher-quality SS fasteners. I note that RC Screwz produces sets for just about every car. My question is this: Do the sets really replace every single screw and fastener on your car? Or just most of them? How do you like the set? Quality?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I used them when building my scratch build Wraith. Did they have all the screws that would replace the stock ones in a regular kit. NO, but had plenty to do the complete job with some substitutions. Quality was good.

I purchased the kit for my Boost, and it was OK. Would I buy it again, NO. The hex tolerance in the screw is sloppy. If I was to do it again, I would buy Axial screws.

BTW, I use Losi hex bits, and I never had a problem on my Axial or Traxxas stripping heads.

I purchased the kit for my Boost, and it was OK. Would I buy it again, NO. The hex tolerance in the screw is sloppy. If I was to do it again, I would buy Axial screws.

Well that's a bummer. Perhaps I'll just replace as needed.

Let me know what you find out @WoodiE

Back to this subject again. Since I've been working on my Boost's suspension, a couple of the Philips-head screws are already showing wear (can I say that I HATE Philips-heads? So easy to damage the fitting. Ugh.) It's funny that there seems to be very little love for the RCScrewz kits. I happened upon TonysScrews.com and while there are no kits for ANY ECX cars (boo!) it seems like it should be fairly easy to sit down with the ECX parts list and put an order together. Although it appears that most "individual" screws are sold in 10-packs! I'M interested to see what it would cost me to buy some screws for the high-use areas on my car.

Back to this subject again. Since I've been working on my Boost's suspension, a couple of the Philips-head screws are already showing wear (can I say that I HATE Philips-heads? So easy to damage the fitting. Ugh.) It's funny that there seems to be very little love for the RCScrewz kits. I happened upon TonysScrews.com and while there are no kits for ANY ECX cars (boo!) it seems like it should be fairly easy to sit down with the ECX parts list and put an order together. Although it appears that most "individual" screws are sold in 10-packs! I'M interested to see what it would cost me to buy some screws for the high-use areas on my car.

I've found that Mcmaster-Carr tends to carry pretty much all I need, pretty low cost too.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#screws/=11drfgq

Well that's a bummer. Perhaps I'll just replace as needed.

Let me know what you find out @WoodiE
I've checked with FastEddy and he doesn't have screw kits for the ECX RC's, however he did refer me to another person. To Mike at Team KNK and I've actually had a good phone call with him last week and there's a good chance we'll see some ECX kits available soon for at least some of the ECX models.

Just to see how the process goes, I've ordered a kit for my Traxxas Stampede last night so looking forward to seeing how the whole ordering process and screw quality goes. From my understanding Team KNK actually supplies screws for a few people and I don't have any reason why Team KNK wouldn't make a great source for screws.

If you're wanting a general batch of screws for your own inventory and don't want to wait for Mike to create individual screw kits then the Monster or MEGA screw packs would be a great addition!

Oh wow. Good stuff there. I like the idea of kits-- makes it a "no brainer" to stock up on spares and stuff that you can use for modding, adapting, etc. Also good to have on hand to help out someone in need at the track!

Those monster, and mega packs look to be a decent deal. $80 is fair for what they give ya. I might just have to order one. I'm getting a little low on some of the popular sizes.

Those monster, and mega packs look to be a decent deal. $80 is fair for what they give ya. I might just have to order one. I'm getting a little low on some of the popular sizes.
Absolutely, the price I also believe to be very fair. Plus they go through all the trouble sorting every size, putting each size in it's own little baggy and labeling each bag.

Unlike other screw kits on the market where the screws are all thrown in a plastic box or bag for you to sort through.

I'm really debating on getting a MEGA pack or getting all three ProPaks for a total of 2,100 pieces for $105. But first it'll probably be best if I pick up some Stanley Organizers to have a place to put them all. :D

Oh good grief. If I buy ANY MORE "organizer" boxes (Plano guide series are my faves) I will... switch to stamp collecting. :D

I've wound up purchasing a couple of Dynamite SS hardware kits (DYNH1040) for US$17 each and have used them to replace the stock philips fasteners on my Boost and Circuit as I've serviced them. I've been pretty pleased with the quality of the components and selection of fastners, washers, and nylock nuts. Each kit ships in a small Plano (or maybe Flambeau?) brand box which is a nice touch.

I've just been getting a few here and there to replace the high use fasteners. The only trouble spot is finding screws smaller than m3. I retapped the spur gear cover for stainless m3 hex button head and actually had to retap the 2 on the steering cover closest to the servo with m4 because they were totally stripped on my amp. If I did it again I would build the while truck with fine thread. The coarse threads just strip way too fast.

Are the after-market screw packs still Philips head screws? Like beej said, I HATE Philips screws. I really wish they would all just use Robertson. Clearly a superior screw head.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back