AWS Portal Temper Gen 2

mnim15

Started with some basics, redcat spools, metal driveshafts but then I snapped both axles going off too high of a drop so decided to go full build.

Started out AWS by rewiring rear servo and used Y harness but ended up blowing steering on receiver so installed spectrum 5 channel and dynamite ESC. I got the programmable spectrum remote to be able to switch steering modes.

Redcat Portal Axles
Servo on axle mounts

60E685B1-818C-47BC-825C-10C21BCDD8FC.jpeg

Base
1/18 Temper 4WD Gen 2 Brushed RTR ECX01015 (Blue)
Battery
Venom Pro Duo LiPo Battery Charger 80W X2 7A
Venom Fly 30C 2S 1300mAh 7.4V LiPo Battery with UNI 2.0 Plug
Charger handles balance charge/discharge; Battery fits under hood on top of factory location
Venom LiPo Alarm used prior to LiPo ESC Upgrade
Electronics
Spektrum DX5C Smart 5CH DSMR TX Only (SPMR5115)
Spektrum SR515 DSMR 5CH Receiver (SPMSR515)
Dynamite WP 60A FWD/REV Brushed ESC (DYNS2210)
Programming transmitter required for AWS configuration; Receiver/ECS fit well in factory location
Wheel/Tire
INJORA 1.9 Beadlock Wheels Rims for 1/10 RC 4Pcs/Set, Aluminum Alloy (Black/Silver)
Hobbypark 4pcs 1.9 Inch 120mm RC Crawler Tires Foam Inserts
Solder wrapped around wheels secured with electrical tape wrap
Shocks
RCLions 4pcs RC Shock Absorber Damper Internal Spring for 1/10 RC (90mm)
Inverted installation; Lightest Springs cut in half installed on each side of shaft diaphragm; 30W oil half filled
Steering
2X DS3218 Digital RC Servo Motor 20KG High Torque Full Metal Gear Waterproof 270°
2X Metal Servo on Axle V1.1 for Redcat Portals in Matte Black Steel (Shapeways)
Custom steering arms using portal kit components; long lead time on Shapeways servo mount
Driveshaft
2pcs Stainless Universal Drive Shaft for 1/10 RC SCX10 D90 TRX-4 (88-115mm)
Required minor trimming of transmission housing; Best of 3 different driveshafts tried
Axles
2X Redcat Portal Axle Upgrade Kit NOT ASSEMBLED - Beta Testers (eBay)
Used only front axles, very time intensive assembly; 100K fluid in differential and portal ends; replaced all 4-Link rod ends; Portal geared down 50% wheel speed

Last edited:
Hey i love the build. Im currently working on making metal drive shafts work for mine. I saw the name you put for your shafts is there anyway you can reply with a link? I shaved my drive shaft end instead of trans housing, but they slip off of diff input shafts. I think its because of the set screws that came with the shafts though.

Hey i love the build. Im currently working on making metal drive shafts work for mine. I saw the name you put for your shafts is there anyway you can reply with a link? I shaved my drive shaft end instead of trans housing, but they slip off of diff input shafts. I think its because of the set screws that came with the shafts though.
2pcs Stainless Universal Drive... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H5CXFY9?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I know at one point with the drive shafts I was testing I did need to swap set screws from a different set to make them work right, but I don’t remember if it was with these or not...

Also it looks like they don’t currently have the size I used available.
I cut mine because they were too long, but i think im going to go to a hobby store and take an extra screw and see if i can get some good ones. Also a better bit so i can tighten then more

Latest posts

Members online

Back