Axle Lockouts?

kinison

What do these do? My Google-fu is failing me and I can't find why you would want these.

Locking the rear allows for both wheels to spin at the same time all the time.

With a differential working it realeases the inside wheel and the outside wheel has the power, or the one with the least traction. If you were to grab one wheel and stop it, the other wheel will continue to spin. Not exactly ideal for rock climbing.

What do these do? My Google-fu is failing me and I can't find why you would want these.
These are used to lock out the rear steering option on the Temper. You can remove the linkage, drag link, and knuckles when installing these. It supposedly removes the slop from the stock rear end as well.

Last edited:
What OldSkool said.
They replace the current Steering knuckles and parts on the rear and give you a more solid rear axle.
Definitely on my to buy list.
ete2206-300.jpg

For about US$35 you can set up the Temper with four wheel steering. Totally worth it. Those HR lockouts are US$19.

I just got mine in this week as well as the Hot Racing shocks. Can't wait to put them to work. They really stiffen up the rear and look 100 times better!20170310_201759.jpg

Wow those shocks look AWESOME! I need to get some of those!

They do look really nice, but they do need some slight tweaking for the tempers torque. They come with two sets of springs, medium and hard, neither are enough to handle the torque at the stock angle. The solution I did was to use both springs and add some diff grease to keep things moving smoothly.

I've converted my Temper into a ladder frame (short wheelbase version of a Barrage) and I'm running the shocks on the inside of the frame. Not having exposed springs would be a huge plus for me!

I've converted my Temper into a ladder frame (short wheelbase version of a Barrage) and I'm running the shocks on the inside of the frame. Not having exposed springs would be a huge plus for me!

These sound perfect for that and you should be fine with the firm springs.

Axle lockouts are coming today but I'm going to wait to put them on.
Since I'm waiting on the mail for the metal diff to replace the blown plastic diff spool in the rear.
I'll rebuild the rear end as one project. I'm really digging those shocks, I really think I'm going to have to get 2 sets.
My poor wife, every time I tell her "I'm about done upgrading it", I find something else to get :)

Im sure some of you are aware, but the ecx Barrage uses a very simular axle and they offer grey lockouts for them.

Last edited:
I was curious if they would fit on the Temper axle. There is a slight variation in the axles where it looks like there is a reinforcement (that extrudes from the axle) in the area where the screws go in (that would hold these in place) so I wasn't sure if the Barrage ones would work on the Temper axle.
ecx212026.jpg

I was curious if they would fit on the Temper axle. There is a slight variation in the axles where it looks like there is a reinforcement (that extrudes from the axle) in the area where the screws go in (that would hold these in place) so I wasn't sure if the Barrage ones would work on the Temper axle.
Well dang it looks like those wouldn't work... My bad. Ive been doing a lot of research on the Barrage for a friend and a lot of people said they were the same, well other than that extension. BUT on a plus side if that actually does beef them up a bit it may be worth upgrading to the barrage axles down the road. Screenshot_2017-03-20-14-09-29.png

Yeah, I was thinking about upgrading to the barrage axles. Hopefully I won't need to. I'm going after the aluminum steering knuckles and hubs next.
Don't know if y'all are aware but the temper uses pretty much the same parts as the RedCat Everest 16.
Well they make Aluminum axle housings for the Everest 16. They look identical to the Temper.
Only problem is they are $94 PER axle (and that's just the housing). Here they are at Amazon.

Latest posts

Members online

Back