Battery option with stock electronics, suggestions wanted!

GA_Basher

Hey all,

I want to get a few batteries with a quick charger and I’m looking for suggestions based on your experience.

30 minutes worth of run time (followed by 9 hours of charge) on the stock AMP/mt battery is not going to cut it, I’m having too much fun ripping around to stop!

I’ve done a lot of reading on here about lipo batteries, but it sounds like they don’t play nice with stock electronics.

I look forward to your thoughts and recommendations, thanks in advance for the replies.

Thanks for the reply @Sebastien6221, appreciate it!

I spent a good deal of time researching batteries online last night. I've ordered a lipo that should work without frying the stock electronics, and fit into the chassis space without modding:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/boats/...v-5000mah-2s-20c-lipo-hardcase:-ec3-dyn9004ec

with a voltage alarm:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/lipo-voltage-checker-warning-alarm-dynf0002

and a charger that'll work with both the stock nimh & lipo:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/prophet-sport-mini-50w-multichemistry-charger-dync2030

I'll post a reply and let everyone know if it blew up or not >:)

Should be a good charger. Mine is the prophet sport plus and it works wonders. I know I can charge nimh but like I said I haven't tried it. May have to lol

Hey all,

I want to get a few batteries with a quick charger and I’m looking for suggestions based on your experience.

30 minutes worth of run time (followed by 9 hours of charge) on the stock AMP/mt battery is not going to cut it, I’m having too much fun ripping around to stop!

I’ve done a lot of reading on here about lipo batteries, but it sounds like they don’t play nice with stock electronics.

I look forward to your thoughts and recommendations, thanks in advance for the replies.

Stock electronics are fine with a 2s lipo. On the ESC, Make sure the lvc, low voltage cutoff is turned on. You'll also notice that your vehicle will be a little faster with the LiPo battery. After you're done driving your vehicle for the day, make sure you charge your LiPo battery to storage mode which is 3.8 volts per cell, or 7.6 volts for both. Buy yourself a lipo bag if you haven't already to not only charge your batteries in, but store your batteries as well. Have fun

Great tips, thanks @MaX-D.

I read about setting the voltage alarm @ 3.3, these combo ESC units that come on the AMP don’t have a LVC.

Bought a bag after reading the frightening reviews from folks that didn’t have one beforehand!

Thanks for the advice on all of it!

Reviews on Horizon Hobby were talking about putting them in a bag and then putting the bag in an ammo safe, yikes!

I figured 12 bucks was worth the piece of mind.

Good info about lipo batteries and charging them here https://rogershobbycenter.com/lipoguide it's worth a read if you don't know much about lipos.

Longer run times and increased voltage can lead to excessive motor heat so I would invest in a IR temp gun to try and keep the motor under 160F also when changing gearing and motors just a nice tool to have. The temp of the esc can be checked as well and generally want to try and keep the esc below 140F though I am not sure about the temp limit of the stock AMP esc. Most of the time a esc will go out because it's being pushed beyond it's limits so just like the motor just a good idea to check how hot it is getting.

Simple one button or plug in and go chargers are convenient but really don't help maintain lipo batteries and properly charge them. Look at chargers that have like @MaX-D suggested with a storage charge function. A good inexpensive one is a Imax B6.

Also for future lipo purchases I would look for something more than a 20c rated battery. With a brushed motor that battery is fine as a brushed motor does not pull as many amps but should you decide to move to brushless motors they will pull more amps from the battery. Check the link I gave above to understand the "C" rating of a battery.

Last edited:
Great stuff @Heyitsme, thanks for the info.

I spent some time watching this video last night, Horizon Hobby's breakdown on battery basics:

and I chose the one linked above based on what I have now, not what I "wish list" for down the road :devilish:

Thanks for all the input!

I didn't know that certain LiPos can fry your electronics. Is that just with stock electronics(which is wierd because the Torment comes stock with 2s Lipo), or can it also be 2s LiPos with brushless too? I run 50c 2s LiPos with my brushless torment setup.

@Trackstar_Torment I had read on here when I first joined folks were melting stock parts and chewing things up with a 3C on the AMP, and while I look forward to replacing things in the future I'd rather not brick the thing just yet :devilish:

Latest posts

Members online

Back