Battery timing

Ahad

Hi I have a question regarding battery time and motor heating
My torment 1:10 2wd stock brushed motor 15t slows down even when my battery is giving 8.0v after driving roughly for 4-5 mins on 100% power, the motor heats up and is fine after rest .it is a new car I bought 4 5 days ago. Is this attitude of the car normal or it has some problem.
5000 60c mah 2cell

I would say it is normal. Driving habits, gearing, and terrain are all battling each other. Most of the time the gearing from the factory on a RTR is low to keep temps down while running on rough terrain. If the motor is smokin' hot, then you have other issues like blown bearings, or binding somewhere. Just make sure the ESC's low voltage cut off is turned on.

I see it all the time...closed end bell brushed motors get hot...eats brushes like there is no tomorrow...stops working...chuck it. Buy a new one, and repeat. After buying/fighting with brushed motors for a bit, most will move on to brushless. For what Horizon wants for a 15T brushed motor, you can spend a little bit more and get a real good low budget brushless motor and ESC.

After using brushless motors for years, I thought it would be cool to jump back in time and mess with brushed motors again. I built a 2wd stadium truck out of eBay chop shop parts. I won (winning bid) an Associated 17T brushed motor for $2. Worst motor I ever had. I couldn't get that thing to run warm at all. Sure, four minutes was fine. Run it past six minutes and the thing was about ready to go into meltdown. I went ahead and bought me another 17T brushed motor (Yeah Racing?)....same thing. Needless to say, my return to my brushed days of RCing were over.

I'be been able to drive my AMP with a 15T 550 brushed motor and 5000mAh LiPo pack for 20-30 minutes at full speed (around and around our dirt driveway) with no issues beyond a hot motor. No slow downs, no overheating.

My guess is the motor is damaged or otherwise defective. Did you properly "break in" the brushed motor? It is critical to performance and longevity that you break in a brushed motor.

The break in process allows the brushes to wear in to the commutator. Not breaking in the motor and instead running it fast and under load will cause carbon scoring and damage to the brushes which will decrease energy transmission and efficiency. As the motor runs you'll also see more sparking within the motor at the brush/commutator interface.

I have used the water break in method to great effect with my brushed motors: remove the motor from the car and fully submerge it in a cup of water. Turn the system on and using the trim on the radio get the motor to turn at a relatively low speed for about 10 minutes. Turn off, remove the motor from the water and spray it out with motor spray to displace all the water and wash out the dust and particulate matter created by the brushes.

After every 30-60 minutes of run time, or in really dusty and dirty conditions, spray the motor out with motor spray (do this with the endbell of the motor facing down so the spray rinsate can drain out the endbell) and then apply a drop of thin lube to the bearing or bushing that is visible at the endbell of the motor.

You can also search for videos of the water break in method for more details.

I would say it is normal. Driving habits, gearing, and terrain are all battling each other. Most of the time the gearing from the factory on a RTR is low to keep temps down while running on rough terrain. If the motor is smokin' hot, then you have other issues like blown bearings, or binding somewhere. Just make sure the ESC's low voltage cut off is turned on.

I see it all the time...closed end bell brushed motors get hot...eats brushes like there is no tomorrow...stops working...chuck it. Buy a new one, and repeat. After buying/fighting with brushed motors for a bit, most will move on to brushless. For what Horizon wants for a 15T brushed motor, you can spend a little bit more and get a real good low budget brushless motor and ESC.

After using brushless motors for years, I thought it would be cool to jump back in time and mess with brushed motors again. I built a 2wd stadium truck out of eBay chop shop parts. I won (winning bid) an Associated 17T brushed motor for $2. Worst motor I ever had. I couldn't get that thing to run warm at all. Sure, four minutes was fine. Run it past six minutes and the thing was about ready to go into meltdown. I went ahead and bought me another 17T brushed motor (Yeah Racing?)....same thing. Needless to say, my return to my brushed days of RCing were over.
Hello. I'm thinking about trying this setup out. What would be a good pinion and spur to run?

Latest posts

Members online

Back