Best motor for ecx ruckus 2wd

KadenStrong

Hello,I was looking for the best brushless motor and esc combo for a 1:10 ruckus 2wd i would like to have top speeds of 40-45mph.Thank you for looking ar this and please reply

https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...r-combo-3000kv-3.5mm-bullet-ec3/ONXS0500.html

Wethernyou get that exact one or not you can use the esc and motor specs as a guide. You will definitely want smaller pinion options to ensure it is driveable and that you don’t overheat the motor or ESC. That motor on 3S in that light truck will be pretty crazy. You could go up to 3,800 or 4,000;kv and gear with a smaller pinion and bigger spur but I’d stick to 3000 as you won’t have To make as much of a bearing change.

You must buy the metal gear kit because brushless power will shred the plastic ones.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...r-combo-3000kv-3.5mm-bullet-ec3/ONXS0500.html

Wethernyou get that exact one or not you can use the esc and motor specs as a guide. You will definitely want smaller pinion options to ensure it is driveable and that you don’t overheat the motor or ESC. That motor on 3S in that light truck will be pretty crazy. You could go up to 3,800 or 4,000;kv and gear with a smaller pinion and bigger spur but I’d stick to 3000 as you won’t have To make as much of a bearing change.

You must buy the metal gear kit because brushless power will shred the plastic ones.
What size pinion would you recommend

Stock looks like a 17 tooth, I would try a 15 or 16. You might be OK on 17 but I haven’t tried it. Watch your temps. I would rather go smaller and the gear up and monitor than go too big and risk cooking a motor. The Amp MT has a brushless completer kit with optional pinions but they don’t seem to have that kit available for the Ruckus 1/10 scale on Horizon’s site.

The Amp MT’s stock pinion is a 20T so going down to 17 or 16 is a significant step. I’d try a 15t.

When I put brushless in my Redcat Volcano I used the same size pinion size and it is stupidly fast. I am gearing it down some now for temps and drive ability.

Stock looks like a 17 tooth, I would try a 15 or 16. You might be OK on 17 but I haven’t tried it. Watch your temps. I would rather go smaller and the gear up and monitor than go too big and risk cooking a motor. The Amp MT has a brushless completer kit with optional pinions but they don’t seem to have that kit available for the Ruckus 1/10 scale on Horizon’s site.

The Amp MT’s stock pinion is a 20T so going down to 17 or 16 is a significant step. I’d try a 15t.

When I put brushless in my Redcat Volcano I used the same size pinion size and it is stupidly fast. I am gearing it down some now for temps and drive ability.
Thank you so much

It was doing great until I hydroplaned it across a huge puddle at 49mph and found out the cheap brushless “waterproof” ESC isn’t actually waterproof. Oh well. Ordered a couple more this time 120 amp so I’ll have a spare and I am building some sides around the chassis and a splash guard around the ESC this time. The motor is great and it’s very very fast and powerful. I will gear it down with a bit smaller pinion I think. Given I spent $40 Canadian on the 540 size 3,300 KV motor and the ESC together I don’t mind buying some spares. I probably would have got a name brand at my LHS instead but they have nothing in stock.

oh yeah.... I also ordered a 3,000 kv 540 size that I’ll put in the Volcano and move the 3,300 into the Amp MT in a few weeks. Already have a KS-3518 servo and a DumboRC receiver sitting on the shelf ready to go in. I know my LHS has the metal gear set in stock. And I got a set of blue aluminum shocks for $17 Canadian to put on the Amp. Just need to grab some shock oil.

But I’m done upgrading heavily... the Redcat will explode if I bash it hard so I have ordered an Arrma Notorious 6S. ?

Castle 3800 SCT motor/ESC combo.

Stock spur gear, throw in a 28 tooth pinion - do 35mph all day long with no heat issues (unless it's like 100 degrees out). But even then - as long as you wern't just doing speed runs back and forth repeatedly it will probably be fine. That's how I run mine.

Yes - it will be expensive. Quality isn't cheap.

Yes - You will have to do a bit of drilling to modify the motor mount plate to be able to slide the motor back far enough to fit the oversized pinion.

But - You will get a strong, quality setup that will last, and if geared right like I suggested, you will virtually never have to touch.

35MPH is the most I'd recommend on these trucks to anyone. Yes higher speeds are definitely possible. But these trucks weren't designed to handle it. Even at 35 you are really just squeezing the trigger and praying you don't hit anything.

There's also the headache of gearing and temperatures when your chasing high speeds. I had an AMP that I got to just under 50MPH. But changing gears and worrying about if I'm going to fry or overheat something just wasn't fun. I wanted something to drive and not worry about.

If you're insisting on higher speeds Castle makes a 4600kv motor, I'd go for that and atleast then you wouldn't need to gear the hell out of the thing.

Another tip, usually most systems come with overheat failsafe, in the event things get to hot the system shuts down. Now I don't know the science behind it, but I've seen it happen twice and after a system overheats once, it seems very susceptible to it in the future. So don't bank on that to save everything and think it will be okay.

How are you guys keeping your motors in place? I’ve got a ruckus I changed to brushless and it seems like the motor has so much torque that it’s slipping away from the pinion gear. I can’t really tighten the screw down more because it’s just a plastic housing that the motor mounts to or is there an aluminum mount for the motor somewhere? Tia

How are you guys keeping your motors in place? I’ve got a ruckus I changed to brushless and it seems like the motor has so much torque that it’s slipping away from the pinion gear. I can’t really tighten the screw down more because it’s just a plastic housing that the motor mounts to or is there an aluminum mount for the motor somewhere? Tia
Loctite 242 medium strength threadlock on the screws with M3x12mm cap head screws on top of some M3 washers. I allow the thread lock to cure for at least 24 hours before I use the truck as well. My motor stays in place.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back