Big Changes = Game Changer

Bench Racer

Hey there. I'm new to the forum. I ran across this site while searching for Temper stuff. I joined to let show what I have accomplished with the torque twist issue. What I have done has completely changed this rig. I've been talking with my rock crawler builder friend about how to hopefully fix it. So if you look at the stock shock mounts they are under the frame way too much. He suggested getting the shocks stood up since that's the way they build them.
So with his help on the plasma table and another friends welding skills, we came up with this. The shocks are stood up. This will lessen the amount of flex. In this case that's good. The ECX has way too much flex which lets it tip over easily.
20170221_205155_zpsym5ww3en.jpg
20170221_205205_zpsbow6lhoq.jpg
Now it sits lower and has more dampening on the shocks. It is stiffer for sure.

I'll tell you what, this mod is a must do. This ECX is crawling the same stuff as my Wraith. Not all the obstacles, but most. The difficult climbs were a no go but they are technical for the Wraith. I found no torque twist. None. One climb is on a slick face where it sends you left and you need to turn right. The stock set-up would lift the right wheel in the air and flip over before you even got to the climb. Now it makes the face and will allow wheel spin to manipulate the line.
Then I have a tight, short canyon trail that's got a split at the end that is about 16" tall. The rocks dwarf the ECX and it makes it.

I cannot believe the difference. You can actually use it now like a 1/10, sort of. The Temper should be built like this stock. It's great fun now.

If you are looking to fix your torque twist issue, get some material and give this a try. I promise it will be a different rig. It does such a great job, it showed other areas for improvement like needing weight. I'll start on that next.

I think there is probably an even better solution. So maybe with this, others can build from this idea and create a fool proof design. But for now, it just plain works. I tested my rig on a pallet stood up against my fence. I'm guessing the angle is 60 degrees +. It won't climb it. But when it did get some traction and started moving up, the left wheel did slightly lift about an inch, but never got out of control. It kept straight.
I have video of how great it works. Maybe I'll load it onto youtube and post it here.

That's really cool. I'd like to see more of your "crawler garden"!

Ah yes, "free rocks" aka "please come get this truckload of stones cause I can't be arsed to carry them off myself". I can still feel in my lower back some of the amazing free rock opportunities my wife found when she got it into her head we needed a water feature + rock garden...

I'm working on 4 link. I built the lower arms mount today out of 1/4" UHMW. The install went great. But found my shocks just barley the hitting the servo causing it to bind. What happened was the lower links were moved in and towards the axle. This changed the angle of the axle leading to the servo tilting back enough to rub on the shocks since they have been stood up. So, on the upper mount I will lengthen the links to tilt the axle forward to get clearance. Should work. We shall see. I'll post the results.

I built a 4 link for the front due to clearance issues. I had this SS rod sitting around so I used it. I used Traxxis rod ends since they were cheap and available. Built a plate to hold the links behind the servo. It turned out pretty good.
I removed the springs for a drooper. That was a mistake. The shocks are weak and can't hold the weight and push the rig back up. I like the look so I'll install BIC pen springs inside the shock. This will give it about a 50/50 hold up/droop.
The only issue I see right now is that it's lower and high centers easier. Hopefully the springs help with that. I have not tried the tires yet. I just got the 1.9 Gmade wheels yesterday. Looks great though.
20170303_230738.jpg 20170303_230728.jpg 20170303_230658.jpg 20170303_230646.jpg

I installed BIC pen springs on the shocks. Filled the shocks with oil since they are not full. This stiffened up the shocks. I was worried it would be too stiff.
20170305_095729.jpg
Here's a comparison of the same crawl posted before. It shows the difference the changes made.
Here's a climb that was impossible before. Now is different.

I put the springs in the shocks and created a drooper. Kind of weird to see it so low.
I reshaped the front upper links with more bend since they were hitting the frame. Now they are free. Hopefully that doesn't cause any issues.

I installed the rear springs back on the shocks. I like having the rear a tad stiff compared to the front for climbs. I left the BIC pen springs in the rear shocks though. It gives it a little preload. Yet it is stiffer than stock. I also shorted the lower links 1/8" due to it sitting so low and stretching out the wheel base 1/2". Shortening them brought the wheel base close to stock and gave me a little more clearance in the middle.

Members online

No members online now.
Back