Boost 2.2 Wheels

jbalsamo23

Has anyone had experience with different 2.2 buggy wheels on the boost. I have tried b4.2 wheels but the center hole is larger and the wheels don't seem to fit a nice as the stock wheels. I plan and racing 17.5t and extra play in the wheels is not my friend. Has any one used b6 wheels? I know that exc has stock black wheels in stock, but I am partial to the white and those are hard to come by.

Thanks

Racing indoor? Outdoor? Carpet, astro, clay?
I started racing with my Boost and discovered that most non-ECX wheels were thinner and thus too much of the front spindle protruded from the wheel and didn't allow the nut to tighten against the wheel. I installed Traxxas #3654 hexes on the front and rear- they are 10mm wide and allowed me to mount Schumacher and AKA wheels without needing to use shims or spacers. I started on AKA wheels and tires but after a while everyone discovered that Schumacher Cut Stagger (F) and Mini Pins (R) worked best so I switched to those.

I can't speak to Associated wheels too much. I did try to use them on my Circuit truck and they didn't have enough offset (or too much?) so I had to install the Traxxas hexes AND another 2mm of shims to keep them from constantly rubbing on the steering rod ends.

However, I got a set of TLR wheels to use for setting camber and toe on the Boost and those seemed to fit okay without any interference. I can check later this evening.

I plan and racing indoor clay, thanks for the info. I will try the traxxas hexes and some aka or tlr wheels. Thanks again for all your help.

Where do or did you sit with your Boost on racing?
I have my Boost highly customized, just could use some feedback on your tires you used or found that worked for track conditions. Here's what I am trying to achieve, thanks.

I know this is an oldie post, but hoping you learned in tires since then. I am really struggling with the rear handling on this car. I run outdoor off-road tracks, loose to packed conditions. It is really dry for the most part due to tracks not wanting to spend the money on watering after every race. Anyways, I am running "bowties" in the rear. It seems that this is not enough height on the knobs. I want some more height. Any suggestions?

Some tuning specs'
17.5t motor with tiIMG_20190505_122812488.jpgming is turned down around 3ish amps and I have that perfect trigger finger on keeping the momentum and launch. I just can't reach speeds that I want to be at because of rear washing out. I will be playing with rear shock springs, front end is dialed. I'm running 35wt rear TA oil and 30wt front. With 2 hole pistons all around. Rear turnbuckles are all the way out on rear hub with first hole adjustment on shock tower, I can't reach to the second hole due to clearance issue. I have reached full length on rear and front turnbuckles.

In the meantime, tire suggestions would be nice! Thanks
IMG_20190505_122812488.jpg

One culprit accountable for the lack of rear traction is that weight isn't transferring to the rear of the car fast enough. The first two tuning options would be rear tires (look for soft or extra soft compound) and less viscous damper oil. Then experiment with rear springs.

Generally you want to go with higher viscosity in the front and lower viscosity in the back. Lower viscosity (thinner/lighter) oil at the rear and softer springs will increase traction. Higher viscosity oil and stiffer springs will decrease traction.

What's going on: as you accelerate, the thicker oil in the rear dampers slows the transfer of weight to the rear. That's also part of the reason why your steering feels dialed-- the car's weight bias is directed more towards the front.

My suggestion would be to keep the front as-is and replace the 35wt oil with 27.5wt. I'm a proponent of making big changes so you can more easily "see" the effects of the change and then "walking back" as needed. If you felt that you needed a heavier oil I wouldn't suggest anything heavier than what you're running in the front-- so that all dampers had the same viscosity oil.

As for tires: hard pack with loose dust? Occasionally damp/wet? In my experience more aggressive/deeper knobs are better for soft/loose conditions. The harder the surface you want shorter knobs/shallower tread. Look into JConcepts Dirt Maze tires as they are claimed to be designed specifically for hard pack, dry conditions. Another option mught be JConcepts Double D's as they are in a super-soft compound and billed as an "all-around" tire; however, they are targeted more towards clay/blue groove tracks.

ProLine's Holeshot is a good tire and I've used this on both my TLR 22 buggy F and R) and Circuit (paired with JConcepts Carver on the front) at local outdoor dirt tracks with a mix of dry hardpack with dust and loose dirt to dry broken/soft surfaces.

On a final note I'd suggest that you go look up setup sheets for AE B4/B4.2 and B5 RM on petitrc.com You'll note that all the setups feature thicker oil at the front with thinner oil at the rear.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back