broken AMP MT axle shaft?

ericfx1984

Well I upgraded my AMP by adding silly putty to the differential... love the way it handles and it climbs much better now... however, between all the jumps and the stops... I broke an axle, well actually I twisted the hub on one side and it broke there...

I was thinking about getting these... https://www.ebay.com/itm/STEEL-CV-D...138499&hash=item5949d98767:g:lsAAAOSwMQJeiPDo

Any recommendation of the axles?

note: I plan on upgrading the gears at some point to all metal... then maybe a bigger motor? 15t?

Thanks in advance

I have been reading... it looks like traxxas SLASH rear driveshafts can be made to work and nice metal ones can be had for around $20-$25

can anyone confirm this please?

If you're looking for a more budget friendly option, I have been using these for over a year now on brushless power with 2.8 badlands mx28s. They go on sale for 35 often I've noticed. I had my diff filled with something similar to silly putty like you, and broke the more expensive set of hot racing axles shafts. Having the diff filled like that increases the chance of breaking an axle shaft substantially, so now I run an open diff with marine grease. You might want to go back to an open diff, or just go easy on it.
And yes, the rear slash axles work. Just grab a set of the traxxas hexes too. I did read somewhere in here the MIPs for the slash don't have enough movement in them to work properly in an ecx, but not sure. I also read the new rustler 4x4 plastic shafts are supposed to be better then the older plastic versions, so that might be an option for you to consider. I've got a set of the plastic slash axles on my son's circuit, aslo brushless and on 2.8 trenchers, been holding up for a couple years now, think one or 2 breaks so far, but a cheap fix compared to buying a nice metal set of axles.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200408-141736_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20200408-141736_eBay.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 33
If you're looking for a more budget friendly option, I have been using these for over a year now on brushless power with 2.8 badlands mx28s. They go on sale for 35 often I've noticed. I had my diff filled with something similar to silly putty like you, and broke the more expensive set of hot racing axles shafts. Having the diff filled like that increases the chance of breaking an axle shaft substantially, so now I run an open diff with marine grease. You might want to go back to an open diff, or just go easy on it.
And yes, the rear slash axles work. Just grab a set of the traxxas hexes too. I did read somewhere in here the MIPs for the slash don't have enough movement in them to work properly in an ecx, but not sure. I also read the new rustler 4x4 plastic shafts are supposed to be better then the older plastic versions, so that might be an option for you to consider. I've got a set of the plastic slash axles on my son's circuit, aslo brushless and on 2.8 trenchers, been holding up for a couple years now, think one or 2 breaks so far, but a cheap fix compared to buying a nice metal set of axles.
Are those a direct fit? And do you think they will be able to handle 3s on a 3000kv motor?

Are those a direct fit? And do you think they will be able to handle 3s on a 3000kv motor?
Yes and yes. I'm running 3s on a 6pole 3300kv. Well direct fit with aftermarket hexes and rims. Stock rims and hexes get a little smaller on the outside then they are on the inside. So to use stock hexes and wheels, you'll need to drill them out to match the larger inner diameter of the hex. But any generic aluminum hexes won't have that step down, nor do aftermarket rims (like Pro-Line)

So have those held up for you?

Silly puddy isn't an improvement, it will destroy you drivetrain. I filled my diff 70% full with team associates 6636 silicone and it destroyed my gears within minutes. What your doing is way beyond TA 6636 silicone! Pull your wheels off and try spinning your rear axles by hand. It was very hard to do with silicone grease, can only imagine what it is like with silly puddy. Your gears are constantly fighting against this resistance and it will destroy them.

Last edited:
I think 2S and 3,300 kv 540 size motor is plenty for my son’s Amp MT. I can run 3S but it is very overpowered. I am running stock plastic drive shafts with no issues. I set the slipper clutch properly. Metal gear upgrade and the RPM servo saver eliminator and sealed bearings. The rest is stock.

I may try better wheels/tires.

I think 2S and 3,300 kv 540 size motor is plenty for my son’s Amp MT. I can run 3S but it is very overpowered. I am running stock plastic drive shafts with no issues. I set the slipper clutch properly. Metal gear upgrade and the RPM servo saver eliminator and sealed bearings. The rest is stock.

I may try better wheels/tires.
Im running a similar setup. I put the plastic gears back in yesterday to see if they will hold up with the proper slipper and mild driving. Wheels make a BIG difference. Proline street fighters and badlands are all you will ever need. I was using AT tires but they had very poor performance compared. Balancing your wheels is very important too. I blew about my plastic driveshafts within days of installing a brushless. I had the punch and slipper set very soft so I blame the horribly balanced wheels.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back