Brushless upgrade for 2wd Stadium - What do I need?

Yazman

Hello. I bought a Stadium 2wd for $75 used. I've had a blast bashing with it, and I've ordered 2s 5000ma lipos. I'm considering a brushless Onyx 4000kv motor and esc, but I don't know what all is involved. Will I need a new receiver? Metal gears? I don't want to break stuff yet, just bash with my kids. Any help is appreciated.

If you dont want to break stuff, then dont make it faster..... LOL
You should not need a new receiver, unless, the receiver is built into the ESC.
I dont think you will need metal gears for 2s LiPo, as long as you get the gear mesh correct.

You say a 2wd Stadium, does that mean you have a ECX Torment? Do you happen to know?

Thanks for your reply! I guess I mean as fast as possible without breaking stuff lol. I have the "
Circuit 1:10 2wd Stadium Truck: Blue/Silver RTR
ECX03020". I don't know too much about this rig since I bought it used.

I'm tempted to get that 4000kv brushless, but I don't want to start breaking stuff. I could just pony up the money and get the Arrma Granite Big Rock for off road bashing.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220105-081721.png
    Screenshot_20220105-081721.png
    255.8 KB · Views: 6
I didn't mean to say you WILL break anything if you upgrade, but just like real life cars the faster or more hop ups installed, there comes a chance for things to fail. I'm not saying they will, for sure, it's just the potential is there. But i guess the potential is there to break something while stock as well. Like running head first into a curb.
I have upgraded to running a 3s system in my torments. The only thing I have destroyed are the plastic spur gears, and I kind of expected that might happen. The Onyx systems are decent, I have one in one of my Torments, and it does really good.
I am not sold on the GoolRc systems though, many people have used them with no issues, although mine worked and ran, it just seemed lacking in performance. But they are cheap, and it hasn't let the smoke out yet.

Bummer! I broke a front A arm while bashing today. I'm going to order the RPM replacements. I think I might do a brushless motor; where can I get a metal gear at?

I'm tempted to do 3s. You haven't had any problems besides the plastic gear on the motor?

RPM arms seem to be the go to, I dont remember if Hot racing makes a-arms or not, I think they do, but they are metal though or should be.

You can find the Hot Racing metal spur gears online at various places, there are several on the Ebayz.
Here is a link to one on Amazon. Again, I am not saying you have to have a metal spur gear. From my experience I needed them for my 3s system. I haven't had any issues since. You will also need a new slipper clutch set, the metal spur gear does not come with it.

https://www.amazon.com/Hot-Racing-Sect887-Steel-Pitch/dp/B00XF8FV8K

https://www.hobbytown.com/ecx-slipper-assembly-all-ecx-1-10-2wd-ecx1024/p-xqycschqzqabg4yz

Hot-Racing does make front and rear aluminum A arms for the truck
https://hot-racing.com/?c=684_ECX_1:10_Circuit_Stadium_Truck

I will say that all the Hot-Racing parts I have (a half dozen off the top of my head) fit well and the machining is very close/spot on. The shipping is quick, they come with all the bolts you need. There are not loctite or instructions with any parts, but most of them are self explanatory or youtube.

They don't make the parts, they copied someone else's design and shipped them over to China to be mass produced. So if you have technical questions, like needing to know the thread pitch of a bolt hole on one of their parts, you get an email response like "we don't have that information on hand. I would suspect it would be standard thread."

Keep in mind that as you make the driveline and suspension stronger, physics is going to find the next weakest link on the next impact. That aluminum arm is bolted to a plastic hub and a plastic chassis...when that arm takes a big hit, it's going to transfer that force. Like Within also pointed out, the faster you go the harder you hit stuff. Speed and your checkbook are inversely proportional, so find a happy medium where you are happy.

Hello. I bought a Stadium 2wd for $75 used. I've had a blast bashing with it, and I've ordered 2s 5000ma lipos. I'm considering a brushless Onyx 4000kv motor and esc, but I don't know what all is involved. Will I need a new receiver? Metal gears? I don't want to break stuff yet, just bash with my kids. Any help is appreciated.
I have the same truck. Just got it and I'm new to the hobby. This is the same question I joined this group to ask. Following closely.

I have the same truck. Just got it and I'm new to the hobby. This is the same question I joined this group to ask. Following closely.
Welcome to the forums @galaxygower!

I'm no expert on this stuff, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once..... 🤣

So like Yazman, what exactly is your goal for your Circuit?
What would you like opinions on? Brushless? 2s? 3s? hopups?
I have to say wheelies are extremely fun....... (y)

Welcome to the forums @galaxygower!

I'm no expert on this stuff, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once..... 🤣

So like Yazman, what exactly is your goal for your Circuit?
What would you like opinions on? Brushless? 2s? 3s? hopups?
I have to say wheelies are extremely fun....... (y)
2s, brushless, better looking & performing tires for light offroad and pavement bashing. Nothing too violent.

2s, brushless, better looking & performing tires for light offroad and pavement bashing. Nothing too violent.

There are a lot of wheel and tire combo's out there that should fit.
Again, these are only opinions and suggestions, but, I did purchase some very good, or they seem to work well for the price, cheap tire and wheel combo's I got off of the Ebayz. I didn't give that much for the set, they have gone up in price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324474291541?hash=item4b8c2cc555:g:cvkAAOSwt5ZgGtuW

Brushless systems, there are plenty of those out there as well. Depends on your budget, I think Yazman mentioned a Onyx system, I do have one of those and it runs just fine and still works. Again I am skeptical on the GoolRc systems, I have one and did not find the performance up to par, it still works well, just not as well as the Onyx or Ezrun systems I am currently running.
The Hobbywing Ezrun systems are good, and fast with a 3s battery, the Onyx system so far is a very close second or possibly tied. But again opinions and all that. The Hobbywing system is a bit more expensive.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/393734902272?epid=20034530697&hash=item5bac6dd200:g:0kMAAOSwLf1hoRWt

https://www.ebay.com/itm/401312350019?hash=item5d70147f43:g:3s8AAOSwIR5e~pu0

You can fine tune your pick by price and Kv's, I would suggest getting a programming card with the system or purchasing one seperatly.

There are a lot of wheel and tire combo's out there that should fit.
Again, these are only opinions and suggestions, but, I did purchase some very good, or they seem to work well for the price, cheap tire and wheel combo's I got off of the Ebayz. I didn't give that much for the set, they have gone up in price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324474291541?hash=item4b8c2cc555:g:cvkAAOSwt5ZgGtuW

Brushless systems, there are plenty of those out there as well. Depends on your budget, I think Yazman mentioned a Onyx system, I do have one of those and it runs just fine and still works. Again I am skeptical on the GoolRc systems, I have one and did not find the performance up to par, it still works well, just not as well as the Onyx or Ezrun systems I am currently running.
The Hobbywing Ezrun systems are good, and fast with a 3s battery, the Onyx system so far is a very close second or possibly tied. But again opinions and all that. The Hobbywing system is a bit more expensive.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/393734902272?epid=20034530697&hash=item5bac6dd200:g:0kMAAOSwLf1hoRWt

https://www.ebay.com/itm/401312350019?hash=item5d70147f43:g:3s8AAOSwIR5e~pu0

You can fine tune your pick by price and Kv's, I would suggest getting a programming card with the system or purchasing one seperatly.
Thanks for all the info. It will come in handy

What I did and what I suggest is throw a 2S 50c or better lipo in it and let er rip. My next upgrades were pinion gear changes, a better steering servo, and the hot racing bell crank kit. Those wheels/tires are a good suggestion. Measure your stock ones and keep in mind that changing the diameter effectively is a gearing change, so maybe settle on the wheels and tires that make it handle how you want then change your gears.

After that, I’ve just replaced parts as I’ve crashed. It didn’t really need anything else. When my son gets better at driving we will look into a brushless upgrade and then maybe 3S. As you add speed, parts break a lot faster

I should mention that I purchased that set of wheels and tires for a Torment, although they should work on a Circuit? I think. Initially they are very sticky, mine are worn a good bit....LOL

If you do move to a 2s LiPo option you should be fine with the stock ESC and Motor.
BUT...... if you would like your eyes to light up and get that minor rush initially, I would suggest jumping to a 3s LiPo and a brushless system that can handle it.....ie the Hobbywing suggestion, the Onyx system would work too. I'll tell ya, I found a lot of difference between the 2s and 3s jump. I am happy with my current setups.

Again these are only suggestions and my opinions, there are others here that actualy know what they are talking about, and some even race.

I got that for mine and u should make sure to get metal gears and new driveshafts and hubs. I stripped my gears and broke the drive shaft earlier

I’ve got a project Circuit also. I’m installing a GoolRC brushless motor/speed controller. (Can’t beat the price!). I’ll let you know how it turns out!

I’ve got a project Circuit also. I’m installing a GoolRC brushless motor/speed controller. (Can’t beat the price!). I’ll let you know how it turns out!

watch out with that ESC. The motors are pretty stout, the ESCs are known to cause fires

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back