Can I upgrade my ECX AMP stock motor?

Dude

Can I just up grade my stock motor to 35T Brushed motor without replacing the ESC?

zderekv

Yes, you can install a 35T brushed motor without replacing the ESC.

No, it’s not really an upgrade.

Stock motor is a 20T so most would consider a lower turn number being an upgrade as it “should” be capable of higher top speeds. Maybe look for a 12T or 15T 540 motor if your looking for a speed upgrade. Of course a hotter motor will cause an increase in heat and a decrease in run-time. You’d also benefit from a gearing change with the new setup to take full advantage of the motor upgrade.

Truth be told, I went this direction with my daughter’s truck and never really got the results we were looking for so when that motor let go I went for a cheap brushless setup (GoolRC - $45 with shipping) and never looked back. No heat issues, better speed and acceleration and her batteries lasted about 40-50% longer.

Disclaimer: GoolRC is NOT an high performance setup comparable to a Castle or Tazer setup but even a “basic” brushless system will outrun any brushed system - dollar for dollar anyway.

i_r_beej

Why a 35T? Motors with that high a turn count are best for rock crawlers. The lower turn counts = higher speed/faster revolutions/lower torque; higher turn counts = higher torque/lower speed/slower revolutions.

I installed a Dynamite 15T 550 motor in my AMP truck and loved it. It did get hotter than the original 20T 540 but I was able to control that somewhat by gearing down (smaller pinion gear) 2-4 teeth.

A 55o motor is a little longer than a 540. This longer motor generates more torque.

MaX-D

When I finally smoked the stock motor, I put a Traxxas Titan 12 turn motor in the truck and it gave it a considerable jump in torque and speed on 2s lipo. It's not going to be as fast as a brushless system, but it definitely gave it more speed

Tskluzak

When I finally smoked the stock motor, I put a Traxxas Titan 12 turn motor in the truck and it gave it a considerable jump in torque and speed on 2s lipo. It's not going to be as fast as a brushless system, but it definitely gave it more speed
I am trying to do this for my daughters AMP but have found the gear cover won’t fit due to the shaft of the motor being too long. Is there a gear cover that will fit?

Seb

I am trying to do this for my daughters AMP but have found the gear cover won’t fit due to the shaft of the motor being too long. Is there a gear cover that will fit?
I think you can just drill a hole (diameter of the shaft) in to the cover