can't remove drivetrain screw

burrnini

I bought my son the temper gen2 and after a few weeks of mild use the front drivetrain (ecx212013) broke. I received a replacement part through the warranty. However, I cannot remove the hex/set screw. I've used the properly sized hex wrench and attempted heat with a blow dryer. Is the factory piece kept in with loctite or some kind of epoxy? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Those can be a pain to initially get out. You are going to want to get it pretty hot, a hair dryer probably isn’t going to do it. If you have a decent soldering iron that gets good and hot try using that. Otherwise a small butane torch works good but most people don’t just have one of those laying around.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice...I don't have a soldering iron or a butane torch. I tried heating up metal countersinks in the oven but it didn't get the screw hot enough. Read elsewhere online that acetone sometimes works although it was similarly unsuccessful. Ended up buying a soldering iron on Amazon and I'll see how it works in a few days.

As long as its a good iron that gets pretty hot it should work.

Go to Walmart or Home Depot and buy the butane torch. When you insert the hex in set screw heat up the lower part of the hex and the set screw. You don’t want to melt the plastics though. It will come out eventually.

Did you get it out? A soldering iron is what I generally use in such situations. Its a tool and skill set that is well worth the investment in the rc world (soldering that is). Also having good tools helps. Protek makes nice tools, as does MIP. A 1.5mm and 2mm are common tools that one should not skimp out on when purchasing them. Its worth spending the extra cash for quality tools.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back