converting an Amp MT into a K5 Blazer

Jeb

Well, I just lost the whole story I just typed, but here's the quick version and some pics. I got an Amp MT build kit for my son for Christmas and a few months later got one for myself.IMG_3157.JPG I trashed the original body and wanted to do something fun, so I got a 1980 k5 Blazer body from Proline.IMG_3189.JPG IMG_3187.JPG
I used the torment rear shock tower from Hot Racing and the Torment body mount kit.IMG_3190.JPG I had to extend the rear mounts with Bic pen bodies to get the right height and it gives it a place to break that's an easy fix.IMG_3193.JPG I think the gun metal grey looks sharp.

Attachments

• IMG_3193.JPG
    IMG_3193.JPG
    179.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3194.JPG
    IMG_3194.JPG
    195.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3195.JPG
    IMG_3195.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3190.JPG
    IMG_3190.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3198.JPG
    IMG_3198.JPG
    201.3 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Upgrade list;
Kinexsis 4000kv brushless motor and speed control.
The speed control started melting servos so I sent it back to Horizon Hobby and the replacement is on back order till mid June.
So I added a Kyosho Le Mans 240s esc.
5000 mah and 6200 2 cell lipos.
Fast Eddie bearing Kit.
Hot racing front and rear hubs and steering blocks.
Full metal transmission.
22 tooth pinion.
aluminum hex wheel blocks.
Tbone racing Thrasher front bumper.
spektrum 13003 receiver.
Proline badlands tires.
Burnt up a 4 pack of Tower Pro mg996r servos (junk)
landed on a Hitec HS-625mg servo which is working great.
Cooked motor bearings and shredded 2 spur gears before I replaced them. (works fine now and a cooling fan is on order)
Going to upgrade the radio next. The stock radio has no grace in the throttle.
I also added 35 grams of lead in the front to help with cornering, but the truck still sits high and I think it is capable of cornering better.
I also epoxied the servo saver because the zip tie was binding on the steering case tube.

Last edited:
IMG_3194.JPG
The blazer placed 2nd on the short course track this past weekend racing against Losi's and SC10s.

That Blazer body looks great on your Amp! Good job in the racing too! Ofcourse, you'll have to do a little better next time. Can't have the kid out racing dad all the time (even if it is in a different group). ;) :D

I did some test runs tonight playing with the slipper clutch adjustment. I'll post more eventually as they take forever to load on youtube.

a-DHLfkAAZk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back