Diagnose my suspension issue - Torment 4x4

nwmlarge

My front end is getting stuck down and not springing back.

It's fine when operate independently but not if push the truck down.

Please see this video for demonstration .Torment front end

Back end is fine, all 4 shocks have been serviced within the last 20 hours of running.

It's not been run in the wet, I don't get which bit is causing the issue.

I would appreciate any pointers.

I'm not a professional, but, they "look" very stiff to me. But that may be what you desire?
What weight of oil are you running in the front?

It is : Team Associated Factory Team 30 Weight RC Silicone Shock Oil 2oz Bottle AS5422

Which I believe is correct as per the instruction manual.

I am kind of wondering if the screws holding the shock onto the tower and a-arm are slightly too tight?

I agree, perhaps something is binding in the suspension setup?

@nwmlarge, did you recently rebuild or refill the shocks? If so, perhaps you over filled them or did not get out all the air bubbles in the oil.

If it doesn’t drive weird I’d just leave it. But to me that doesn’t look right and might be dependent on the surface that car is on. Other than that I have no idea.

I'm not sure about overfilling as this, in my experience, prevents the shock compressing (completely or partially). Excess air usually just leads to decreased damping performance as the air and oil mix, reducing its effectiveness.

And it's not the weight of the oil.

It seems to me that something is binding when the entire front end is compressed but I'm at a loss to diagnose remotely.

Try rebuilding the front shocks. While the shocks are off, remove the wheels and check to see if each side will pivot through its travel without binding. When you push the suspension arm up, it should drop immediately. And slowing indicates friction. Also check for any foreign matter (strings, grass, hair, bits of dirt, etc) that might be caught in the various components.

Let us know how it goes.

Check the shock shafts to make sure their straight too. I don’t know how it would make the car behave like that, but it could be anything. I’ve never had problems with ecx shafts bending anyway but it’s worth the check.

I'm probably wrong, but it to me seems like the springs are too weak. I dont have a 4x4, just a couple 2wd, so I gotta ask if the shocks front to back are the same height, and if not, are the proper springs on the proper shocks?(front to rear). I see there's quite a few preloads on the front springs and not much on the rear. Which is why I am asking about the springs.

I pulled the front end apart and identified that one of the front shocks shafts is bent.
The shock was binding on the shaft and therefore getting stuck down. The other shock is feeling a bit rough too.
One spring was proper bent so it must have been a heavy impact that did both.

I’m looking about for replacement shocks now.
If I search 4x4 Torment I just get loads for the 2wd.
Any recommendations of shocks that are known to fit?

I have measured the eye to eye at 110mm.
The spring is 70mm by 15mm.

I’d like to replace all 4 shocks. I know they are all the same length.

Thank you to you all for your tips to check out.

Latest posts

Members online

Back