dynamite prophet precept 80W charger

Joshnewb

finally getting nice out in WI, snow almost gone
looking to upgrade to 2s lipo

looking for a reliable balance charger

narrowed down to:
Anybody have or know of experience with the dynamite prophet precept?
(besides it being from horizon hobby?)

funny, i have the nimh version
works great, actually on right now

just noticed it charges through balance leads
that make charging much slower?

and are there any lipo batteries it can't charge?
-do all 2s 3s lipos have same balance connector?

Last edited:
funny, i have the nimh version
works great, actually on right now

just noticed it charges through balance leads
that make charging much slower?

and are there any lipo batteries it can't charge?
-do all 2s 3s lipos have same balance connector?

I also have the prophet sport mini 50w which uses both the balance port and battery leads (EC3) to charge and I see no difference in charge times. The 50w mini offers fewer charging current options but it can charge 4S batteries and it charges LiPo, LiFe, LiHV and NiMH batteries if that’s something of value to you. They both cost about $25-$30 and I don’t think you can go wrong with either.

seriously thinking of getting the sport lipo
just curious how you store your lipos since they don't have storage mode

is it true that if you set the low voltage alarm to 3.6, that it'll come back up a little, to maybe 3.7/3.8v?

seriously thinking of getting the sport lipo
just curious how you store your lipos since they don't have storage mode

is it true that if you set the low voltage alarm to 3.6, that it'll come back up a little, to maybe 3.7/3.8v?

I’m actually learning as I go. We drive our trucks a couple times a week so if the battery isn’t dead yet I charge it before using. Any battery that hits the LVC I charge to about 90%. I’m not really concerned with storage because we drive so often. I think the bigger problem is when they’re being stored for weeks on end. I could be wrong and if I am I’m sure someone here will let me know. LOL!

I have been using Lipos for quite a while now, have stuffed quite a few from not treating them right but eventually I learned.
Started Flying Helis about 12 years ago. Big ones, small ones, Nitro ones, you name it I have probably flown it or at least set it up to fly.
Lipos dont like to have more than 80% capacity taken out of them. This is around 3.7-3.75V
Storage charge lipos ALWAYS, it increases the amount of charge cycles you will get.

Unlike nimh, lipos like to be charged as fast as they will take. This is usually dependant on C rating.
20C batteries usually not more than 1C eg 5000mah 20C can be charged at 5amps
30C can usually handle a 2C charge eg 5000mah 30C=10 amp charge
My 45C heli batteries I charge at 5C eg 5000mah=25amps these are high performance 6s Heli packs not recommended for all packs
You get the idea, but i always storage charge whether leaving for a day or a week or a month.
It isn't that hard, just stick them on the charger after use. Lipos dont like to be left above storage charge either they prefer to kept around 3.8-3.85v/cell

In my opinion, and remember opinions are like arseholes, low voltage cut off in car ESC's are way too low.
By the time you have hit the LVC you have taken charge cycles out of your pack. I have seen it way too many times.
Perfectly good pack with low internal resistance (1-2 milliohms/cell) taken a bit low once (Less than 3.7V/cell) and the internal resistance goes up, this isn't heathly for your pack. I run my lipo alarms for the cars at 3.6V/cell as you get cell bounce once the load is removed from the battery which usually ends up at around 3.7-3.75v/cell which is 20% of capacity.

I use a Revlectrix pl6 charger which most people won't shell out the cash for but i highly recommend.
I can get reading for internal resistance of each cell, it tells me how full the pack is in percentage and allows me to charge at up to 40amps
Now with that it requires a 12-24v power supply mine is 60A
I spent the money a while ago and have never looked back, haven't ruined a pack from missuse in a while either, but i was using expensive packs and still have them 5 years later. They aren't as fresh as they once were but they are still going. $250 US per 6s 5000mah 65c pack. I would Fly one pack while other charged on this set up at 25-30amps. Nothing like the packs i am using now for the cars.

If i was buying a charging set up today, I would look for at least 100W for 2s batteries that had the ability to storage charge.
Something like this can be picked up for well under $100 AUD, this is a minimum if you dont want to be ruining cells

Sorry for the long winded post, and remember this is my opinion based on 5 years of ruining lipos unknowingly before i was educated by experience

Last edited:
I agree with most everything you say and if flew a $1000 heli on $250 batteries I would be much more careful if the way I treated my batteries and would be much more willing to spend hundreds of dollars on a charger - wouldn’t want that big dollar bird falling from the sky. But I only run surface vehicles and my $35 5200 mah batteries have held up just fine for going on 2 years now. I just figure what I saved in the initial cost (2 batteries @ $35 and a $30 charger = $100 total investment) will make purchasing a couple more $35 batteries somewhere down the road easier on the wallet than spending more than the price of an EXC vehicle in batteries and charger alone.

Again, this is just my reasoning, which falls under the same category as opinions (LOL!).

Exactly why i suggested a charger under $100 Aud
You dont need a you beaut set up to treat your batteries well

and just for the record, closer to $2500 in the air
and yes it does make your arse pucker lol

Last edited:
Expensive toys. I save my arse-puckering for riding my Ducati or J Day racing. Neither of which would be possible if I spent thousands of dollars on toys. But I do respect your knowledge and believe there is truth in what you say, it just doesn’t fit my need. I bought a cheap ECX truck (used) because I was looking for some cheap fun. Otherwise I would have bought an X Maxx or a Yeti.

Last edited:
Totally agree, exactly the reason I dont fly big helis anymore, all but the least expensive gone. But RC is addictive so thought it was time to show my boys (3 of them) what it was about :)

Two of the truck we have i picked up for under $50 lol
Cars are so much less puckering

Totally agree, exactly the reason I dont fly big helis anymore, all but the least expensive gone. But RC is addictive so thought it was time to show my boys (3 of them) what it was about :)

Two of the truck we have i picked up for under $50 lol
Cars are so much less puckering

I bought a Walkers FPV racer about 2 months ago, spent about $450 for the drone and a couple 4S LiPo’s. I’ve had a little Blade indoor job (Nano?) for a couple years and I’m OK with it so I figured it’s time to move up and move out (to the outdoors). Got the drone. Charged up the batteries. Went out in the back yard and trimmed it, practiced hovering and familiarized myself with the switches on the controller. Check. All is good. Went to the park with it and it got away from me in a matter of 5 minutes. Didn’t know which direction I was facing, panicked, and tried making so many corrections that by the time I realized how much trouble I was in this thing was a speck in the sky. So now I have a $450 Devo 10 and a 4S LiPo.

So to your point, YES, cars are less puckering.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back