ECX AMP broken

ChunkNorris

I started up my ECX AMP today, and this happened:
It barely moves and is extremely loud. It is running on full stock, not changed a thing. What can I do to fix it? What part is broken? is it the motor?

Could be the spur gear that's stripped. Take off the plastic cover opposite the motor and have a look?

Sounds like the motor is going but not making a connection. Could be pinion, spur, differential, the gears between the differential to the other side of the spur.

From here that is the best diagnosis I can give.

That actually sounds like a really loose slipper clutch to me. If you take the gear cover off, you'll see the large "spur" gear and the smaller "pinion" gear that attaches to the motor. The spur gear is sandwiched inbetween two black circular metal plates and blue friction pads. The tightness of the slipper clutch can be adjusted to help limit wheelspin and minimize shocks to the drivetrain caused by landing from jumps on-throttle and going from froward to reverse. If the slipper is too loose it will make that high-pitched buzzing/whining and the car will take off slowly and then speed up.

Try this: Use the little T-wrench included with your kit and tighten the nut at the end of the "top shaft" protruding from the center of the spur. Turn it all the way to the right until it is full tight. Now back it off two full turns.

Here's a video from Horizon Hobby/ECX about adjusting the slipper clutch.

Test your car.

Let us know how it goes.

I've heard cars with damaged gears in the transmission and it is much noisier- like a box of rocks.

Hey! Thank you for all your replies. I checked inside the gears of my AMP and it looks like you guys were right - the gear pinion had completely stripped the plastic spur gear. I've ordered another spur gear. Thank you for all your replies!!!

Last edited:
Np the motor probably moved and screwed up the gear mesh, make sure it's set properly :) the common way is to put a strip of paper between the gears, move it as close as it will go, tighten the screws then roll the paper out. But maybe you knew that already!

Steel spur gear
Steel tranny gears
Metal driveshafts
Spur gear moderately loose

Made those changed when converted to brushless about a year ago.
Never had an issue since.

Whenever I break a part I order two -- yep it's true, I do.
Unless Upgrade to 'RPM' parts or metal like Mr Meaner.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back