ECX AMP Crush slipper clutch is in contact with the gearbox housing

Crunk

i have a brand new ECX amp crush. i replaced the 1800 amp battery that comes with it to a 5000amp for more power and run time. my slipper clutch is in contact with the gearbox housing. there is actually melted plastic in there. i would post a pic, but i am at work. have any of you ran into this and if so, how do i fix it?!

i did narrow it down to my slipper and i am certain that i did not have it tight enough now. i am not looking to race this. i just want to drive it around with my friend and have some fun. i love working on it and it is way easier than my full size jeep lol. what parameter is a good rule of thumb for the slipper? the heat was high enough (due to my inexperience) that i have some melting of the gearbox case. i plan to replace it this weekend, but can i shim that out a little bit to prevent the same thing from happening?

That is what I was asking. I think I will try the sandpaper for sure.

I tested mine by giving it full power from a dead stop on carpet. That is a ton of traction so if it can wheelie and take off without slipping it’s pretty good. I backed it off from stock until I could make it slip and then tightened it until it didn’t slip on a carpet launch then went a half turn tighter.

Bring your 1.5mm hex tool and your wheel wrench when you go out driving it. If it’s slipping use the driver to open the access cover and tighten it up a half turn with the wheel wrench.

Thank you very much. Hoping to pick up a replacement slipper this afternoon. My local hobby town has a few problem people. One of them orders the parts. Hit or miss with those guys

Crunk, the slipper plates get vary hot, to the point where you can't touch them. In my experience with the Amp and Crush, and I have four, out of the 36 RC's I own, I have melted a couple of gear box housings. I eliminated most of that HEAT by installing metal gears and shim on the shaft over the bearing to space the bottom plate somewhat away from the housing. If you have metal gears it helps to displace and transfer the heat to metal gears. You have to remember that the slipper is mounted on the metal shaft that is meshed with all those gears in the housing. If those gears are all metal they are going too absorb a lot of that HEAT, if they are plastic, they well eventually melt or weaken and loose teeth. A .003 or .004 thousand shim should do the job. You can purchase a package of different size shims online or at your local Hobby Shop. There is supposed to be a shim on the shaft from the factory, however maybe someone missed that operation.
Just remember, HEAT travels and plastic melts. And follow the above replies, as some have been doing this for a very long time. Your never to old to learn, including me and I'm 76! Happy RC'ing.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back