Ecx Amp cutting out

Regis1756

Hi

This has been bugging me and I need an opinion. I have my Amp with the 15t motor, 2s lipo with alarm. The ESC recently went so I got a new one sent to me with a transmitter. It is the DYNS2210 and a spektrum transmitter. I programmed everything just fine and the truck runs with no issues except every now and then it cut to like half power for no reason. My voltage alarm never goes off because the cells are still reading over 3.3 volts. I have to turn it off and turn it back on and its fine for a while. Its off an on. The motor seems a little warm but nothing crazy.

Any thoughts?

Can you recreate the issue when it's not bouncing around?

Like, pin the RC down under your foot. Give it full throttle for a second. Release it, see if it is on half power?

This test could eliminate loose contact problems (I've had all kinds of weirdness when a bad solder joint caused momentary voltage dips when the vehicle was bouncing over rought terrain).

If you have a separate low voltage alarm, try setting the jumper to NiMH.

Like, pin the RC down under your foot. Give it full throttle for a second. Release it, see if it is on half power?

Sounds like a good way to burn up a slipper, or damage other driveline components. Better to test this with the truck on a stand. Manipulate any electrical connections with your hand to see if you can reproduce the issue. If it's cutting to half power you should still be able to notice the difference on a stand.

Hmm you're right maybe that wasn't such a good idea. The motor will get smoking hot fast too if you stall it, but then again this is exactly the kind of situation that the ESC may be trying to prevent by going into half-power mode!

Edit: in the interest of science, I just did this with one of my Amps (stock 20T motor and 25A ESC, 5000mAh 60C LiPo), three times, and it survived but the motor smelled terrible. So listen to X and don't do that, lol.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I ran it outside yesterday when I got home and lasted about 4 minutes before it cut power. I literally let it sit for a minute and it took off full power again. I decided to keep it off the ground and have it go wide open with the throttle going forward and reverse for about 5 minutes and nothing happened at all. The motor was a tad warm when it did cut out but wasnt anything crazy. It has the 18t in it right now. Should I change it to the 20T and see if that helps?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back