ECX AMP MT battery?

Ivanf89

Sup yall, I just got my 1st RC I went with the ecx amp mt (the green one), I'm looking to upgrade my battery without upgrading any other part, what battery do you recomend? FYI I'm totally new to this and dont know anything about RCs I'm learning as I go.

I'd look at SMC. THIS ONE is a great battery for the price since it is on sale.

If you are staying stock otherwise, just select EC3 as the connector.

Hang on a sec... Looks like X recommended a LiPo battery (lithium polymer) and the ECX AMP does not have an electronic speed control (ESC) that provides low-voltage cut-off protection. LiPo batteries are great: lighter, higher-energy density (more powerful, lasts longer), and they rarely get hot with use so after runnining you can immediately put them back on a charger. However, they require more attention and care than the NiMh (Nickel Metal Hydride) battery pack that came with the AMP. The trade off is that NiMh batteries are heavier and have a lower-energy density and have a higher internal resistance (they don't last as long, and heat up quickly requiring them to cool down before you can recharge them).

If you run a LiPo battery below a certain voltage (approximately 2.8V per cell or 5.6V for the pack) you will ruin the battery for ever and possibly cause it to combust (burst into flame) if you attempt to re-charge it. NiMh batteries can be run completely flat without issue.

To prevent this your car needs either a "LiPo compatible" ESC (this means that the ESC features a voltage monitor that will stop the car once the battery reaches its low-voltage threshold), or a Low Voltage Alarm which is a little gizmo that plugs into the balance lead of the LiPo battery and will sound a LOUD alarm once the pack reaches a pre-determined low-voltage. This lets you know it's time to stop driving the car.

The ECX AMP cars DO NOT feature ESCs that are "LiPo compatible" so you will need to buy a LVC alarm such as the one below.
This Venom brand LVC is fairly typical: they read out the current voltage of the pack and each cell and will also beep loudly when low-voltage is reached.

You can also just stick with NiMh batteries but purchase one with a greater capacity than was included with the AMP (A 1800mAh capacity pack, I believe.) Look for a NiMh pack with a capacity of at least 3000mAh for longer run times.

You'll probably also want to get a better charger if you don't have one. I recommend Hitec brand as I've had good luck with both the chargers themselves and Hitec service. There are many other brands such as Venom, Dynamite, Team Orion, Turnigy, ad nauseum that all offer basically the same thing.

A buddy of mine said to give this a try?

Attachments

• 20190422_182050.jpg
    20190422_182050.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 12
That's a LiPo battery so my previous commentsregarding the use of an LVC alarm stand. Also its high-current plug (the one attached to the thick wires) is a T-style/Dean's plug and is not directly compatible with the EC3 that is attached to the ESC in your AMP. You'll need an adapter or have the plug clipped and an EC3 plug installed.

Just ordered the lvc alarm and adapter going to have to wait till it comes is to see how it runs, thanks for the help all the help.

Since this is your first RC I hope you know you need a lipo capable charger and have one. Cheap and simple get a IMAX B6 the ones with the AC adapter built in or a external one. Get a lipo charger with a lcd display while a simple plug in and go lipo (no lcd display plug in balance lead and/or battery plug) charger can work better to have one with storage and discharge functions and display data on the charging process (show such things like individual cell voltages).

Good info here https://rogershobbycenter.com/lipoguide

Last edited:
Sup yall, I just got my 1st RC I went with the ecx amp mt (the green one), I'm looking to upgrade my battery without upgrading any other part, what battery do you recomend? FYI I'm totally new to this and dont know anything about RCs I'm learning as I go.
maybe you need to find battery with EC3 plug, I think this link will help you.

Latest posts

Members online

Back