ECX Axe

weave

Hey guys, just got my hands on the New ECX T.S.F.D AXE Monster Truck and love it. If you like your AMP you will like the AXE. Horizon is slowly making improvements on there low end trucks. They have gone to the Spectrum radios and receivers and the the battery compartment is separate from the rear suspension. Now you can raise it without changing the geometry of the rear suspension (shock mounts, ect.). It has huge tires and moves pretty good with the 12 tune brushed motor 12 tooth pinion. The only problem it still has is the front wheel wobble in reverse.

I did change out the motor for a Castle Sidewinder4 4600Kv/Castle ESC and raised the battery compartment to handle my Gen Ace 7000 mAh battery. I also ground down the body post and threaded in M4 x ,070 x 12mm set screws to accommodate M4 screw caps instead of the stock clips ( I hate those clips,there always coming off) and got rid of the stock Castle switch and replaced it with a micro toggle switch. I think i will change out the pinion for maybe 16 or 18 tooth. Oh,and one more improvement they made, you can use a Traxxas wheelie bar.

ECX AXE.jpgECX AXE Switch Mod.jpgECX AXE Rear View.jpgECX AXE Rear Studs.jpgECX AXE Front Studs.jpgECX AXE Rear Mount.jpgECX AXE Front Mount.jpgECX AXE Battery Mod.jpgECX AXE Front.jpgECX AXE Motor.jpg

Thanks WoodiE, will be changing the the suspension to all aluminum soon. have so many RC projects going what with upgrades for the kids that are in the hobby.

Good looking Axe ! I just got one and will try the Traxxas Wheelie bar, what part # is that one on your Axe?

Dear all, I'm just registered to this forum because I would like to collect some information about AXE which not popular in Italy and in general in Europe. I heard that ECX discontinued di AXE only after a couple of years (ho information) but I don't understand if is for too poor selling or because of too much problems specially w/radio which afflict both AXE and AMP.
Due to my kid fallen in love for Axe I would like he would find it under the Christmas tree from Santa Claus but I'm a little bit scared at the same time. What do you think? Would be a no sense purchase? are there other cars sharing the same replacement part with AXE? Is it a strong and robust model which can bash without too much worries? Is it the radio really so bad or not? What are the most weakest parts easy to broke while jumping and stunting?
thanks for help

Last edited:
Well honestly in stock form it's hard to beat an ecx. They take a beating. But be prepared to upgrade a few things, which is common no matter what vehicle you buy. I've fitted both Traxxas and team associate parts onto mine, when I couldn't find a direct upgrade part that was repeatedly breaking (rear driveshafts, front bulkhead), also, stock electronics generally aren't the greatest, so be prepared to possibly at least eventually upgrade them (also typical with rtr rcs such as these).
Another route to check out is arrma, seems to be a lot of positive reviews on them for both lower entry level and the higher end stuff.
If I had to do it all over again, I'd start out with 2 4x4 slashes, make a couple monster slashes with sensored brushless motors. But no matter your direction, it'll always cost more then just the truck and some batteries. Any vehicle(s) you buy, will always need something upgraded to suit your style of driving. But that becomes a large part of the fun, upgrading and improving your trucks.

Thanks for your reply. If I can I would like to p point on two aspect of your consideration:
1) electronic is not the best; what do you exactly mean? My purpose is to give (ok not me but Santa Claus) to my 5yo sun the car off his dream such as he dream Max-D but it is impossible to find at low price. What kind of bad experiences you got with AXE electronic? Are you talking about ready to burn or just not the best tx-rx on the planet? Could you be more detailed?

2) due to fun purpose only we are searching a monster truck which can jump, stunt, having spaghetti in the mud and nothing more that I can think in this moment. So would be very rare that we will search for upgrade to adapt to his driving style.

What I really would like to know is if is robust, really robust, really waterproof and what are the part which will broke first or later. Due is discontinued and replacement part will not be produced anymore, I would like to stock the weakest parts immediately in reasonable quantity or tune them with stronger parts so to avoid as much as possible replacements need in future. Off course if is all plastic transmission and it is all weak should be upgrade to meets at all. But I'd the plastic gears are good and the weak link is the drive shaft ky can upgrade it only sure that with this model i won't stress too much the gears. Otherwise I just only move the breaking point from shaft to other transmission parts.

I cant speak for the axe but my ecx amp is a solid foundation. Im running brushless, Proline badlands and it holds. Im not a big fan of traxxas but I bought my 2yo a slash and it is better suited for a full blast trigger happy toddler than the ecx. The plastic is more flexible so hitting a tree at full blast is far less devastating. That being said I think the traxxas slash is inferior to an ecx amp.

My son’s amp has so far been close to indestructible. Brushless 3,300 kv, 2S, etc. For the very low price this truck does a lot.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back