Ecx Boost Sits real low- Suspension Help

Ledged

Hello, I got some Traxxas 30weight shock oil for 2 bucks on my ecx boost. After installing it into the rear shocks, they droop a LOT. The rear of my boost has about 10mm of ground clearance now and im not sure if its suppose to be like that, I kind of want to get the rear stiffer or higher.

If I were to change springs would these work?

https://www.amainhobbies.com/team-associated-factory-team-truck-buggy-rear-spring-kit-asc1582/p1634
The green one is the stiffest? Would these fit on the ecx boost rear shocks?]

If I put on green springs by associated, would it be stiff enough to keep the shock oil or would I have to change shock oil also?

Side question, why do the front shocks act so much stiffer than the rear? I doubt it is only from the weight.

Thanks guys! IF i were to sell my dynamite prophet lipo 35w balancer along with a dx2e rx and tx, how much would that be worth? I just have them collecting dust now, they're slightly used but work great.

You need to add the "pre-load" clips. These will alter your ride height. You may even need to stack a couple. A ride height of 19-20 in the front and 20-22 in the back is good. However, the Boost's front-end is a hodge-podge of truck and buggy components-- ECX re-used the truck shock tower but paired it with short buggy swing arms. Thus the swing arms don't have good leverage on the front shocks and that results in them feeling "stiffer." So achieving sag on the front is almost impossible without resorting to adding weights and switching springs.

To adjust your ride height, put everything in the car (battery too) and put the body on and drop the car from a height of 6-8 inches (15-20 cm) onto its wheels. Measure from the underside of the chassis plate to the surface (preferable a nice flat table). Too low? Add in another pre-load clip. Repeat until you get about 20-22mm right height in the rear. I used to run my Boost without any pre-load clips in the front.

You DON'T want the car riding without any sag (how much the car settles into the suspenson)-- you need a little for the car to handle properly.

The stock ECX springs are actually pretty well tuned for the car as-is. If you really want to start experimenting with springs I've found the older Losi springs to be a close-ish fit. (I have the ECX aluminum shocks on both Circuit and Boost.) I use Traxxas spring cups with the ECX shocks and everything works out quite well.

In >this thread< I list the parts that I used and the Losi spring part numbers. Only bummer is that the springs are out of production so you'll have to resort to Ebay. Although I've had pretty good luck finding old stock at local hobby shops.

I experimented with Associated buggy springs but found the lightest was way too stiff for use on the front of the Boost.

Last edited:
Don't have any preload clips as I bought it used :(. Should I go buy some ecx preload clips?

From what I gathered, I should add more viscous oil to the rear and increase preload to slightly increase ride height.

Is this correct?

I don't see why the aluminum shocks are much of a improvement for me because it still has plastic caps and some say it's really soft with the 30wt. If it is, I could purchase that.

I should add more viscous oil to the rear and increase preload to slightly increase ride height.
Is this correct?
Not quite. The oil viscosity has no effect on the ride height-- that's managed with the springs.

As an aside, there are two components to a "shock": The spring is suspension (suspending the chassis of the car above the road) and the oil chamber and piston is the damper (it "damps" or spreads the energy imparted to the chassis over a longer period of time).

The ECX aluminum shocks have a truer piston bore. I've discovered that the stock plastic shock bodies are slightly hourglass shaped so the piston bore is not true. At the top and bottom of the stroke more oil will flow around the piston. For your use (bashing, big jumps) they probably won't provide that much benefit. When I was racing the Boost and Circuit I was more interested in consistent damping throughout the stroke. And the plastic caps aren't a negative.

You can also use a zip-tie or 2 (or 3..) in place of shock spring spacers. Just wrap it around the shock body between the spring seat (ecx1038 in diagram above) and the shock cap. Subsequently ecx1038 is the part number for the entire parts tree with the spring seats and spacers.

Members online

Back