ECX Boost Upgrades

SC1SS0RS

Recently I picked up a near new ECX Boost for 60 dollars. I took it for a test at my local Rc track and from what I have noticed it is to underpowered for the track. It also has alot of slop in the steering. From what I've read the RPM steering upgrades are the way to go but what is a good motor/esc upgrade. I want something with more grunt. I'm running it with my 2s lipos but I would like to up this to 3s. Any suggestions would be great thanks!

Recently I picked up a near new ECX Boost for 60 dollars. I took it for a test at my local Rc track and from what I have noticed it is to underpowered for the track. It also has alot of slop in the steering. From what I've read the RPM steering upgrades are the way to go but what is a good motor/ESC upgrade. I want something with more grunt. I'm running it with my 2s lipos but I would like to up this to 3s. Any suggestions would be great thanks!
Check out Goolrc, cheap & affordable. I use there 5200kv on 4s in my amp for speeeeed.

Check out Goolrc, cheap & affordable. I use there 5200kv on 4s in my amp for speeeeed.
Checked it out and looks sweet. Exactly what I'm looking for and the price is a plus++. Any idea where to get them from other than Amazon because they don't ship them to New Zealand.

As is, the car is underpowered, sure. It also has a serious rear weight bias that negatively affects steering. You'll want to get better tires and add some weight to the front (I used stick-on weights from Core RC). The AMPs and 2WD Circuit are VERY similar and many parts are interchangable and they, too, are rear-motor (same transmission as the Boost). Here's a photo of the >weights that I used<

Last edited:
As is, the car is underpowered, sure. It also has a serious rear weight bias that negatively affects steering. You'll want to get better tires and add some weight to the front (I used stick-on weights from Core RC). The AMPs and 2WD Circuit are VERY similar and many parts are interchangable and they, too, are rear-motor (same transmission as the Boost). Here's a photo of the >weights that I used<
Thanks new tires were on the list but not urgent. Gonna look into getting them earlier now as you said that. Had no idea about the weight issue so i'll have a look at getting some weights. I have some adjustable turnbuckles I'm going to add to it too and I am also going to add an RPM servo saver eliminator bellcrank. What are your thoughts about the metal gears hopups??? Are they worth the money as I ordered a 2 pole 7.5 turn brushless setup and i'm worried i'm going to strip the stock plastic ones.

Last edited:
Thanks new tires were on the list but not urgent. Gonna look into getting them earlier now as you said that. Had no idea about the weight issue so i'll have a look at getting some weights. I have some adjustable turnbuckles I'm going to add to it too and I am also going to add an RPM servo saver eliminator bellcrank. What are your thoughts about the metal gears hopups??? Are they worth the money as I ordered a 2 pole 7.5 turn brushless setup and i'm worried i'm going to strip the stock plastic ones.

While some are doing OK with the stock gears in the transmission, I would say move up to the metal gear set when you can. I don't own a Boost, but I own a Ruckus. The metal transmission gear set was one of the first things I purchased (I think I bought them the day after as I was anxious to learn about the truck). I hadn't moved to brushless yet, but I was preparing for when I did.

I popped them into the truck, and I've never had to replace a gear. Granted I'm more of a casual driver and I'm pretty tame at that, so your mileage may vary.

While some are doing OK with the stock gears in the transmission, I would say move up to the metal gear set when you can. I don't own a Boost, but I own a Ruckus. The metal transmission gear set was one of the first things I purchased (I think I bought them the day after as I was anxious to learn about the truck). I hadn't moved to brushless yet, but I was preparing for when I did.

I popped them into the truck, and I've never had to replace a gear. Granted I'm more of a casual driver and I'm pretty tame at that, so your mileage may vary.
Ok yep I'll definitely look into getting them. Was unsure what people thought about them and really didn't want to spend and extra 30 if they were a waste of time.

Ok yep I'll definitely look into getting them. Was unsure what people thought about them and really didn't want to spend and extra 30 if they were a waste of time.

Well for me they weren't a waste of time. But, especially in the transmission, I'm a big fan of metal parts. I know some that have run the plastic gears and have been fine, or they just replace them when they need to. But for me, I wanted to install something I wouldn't have to really think about later on. So metal gear set it was!

I'd wait until you trash the stock plastic transmission gears. I raced my 2WD Circuit with a 13.5T motor, the stock plastic transmission, AND a plastic pinion with absolutely ZERO issues. I took care to make sure the slipper was set correctly. However, the 7.5T is a little hotter than a 13.5T motor so you may wind up needing the metal transmission gears. The metal gear set is significantly heaver than the plastic gears and will make the Boost's rear weight issue even worse.

One thing: the larger tires of trucks like the Circuit and even more so the Ruckus will place much more strain on the transmission gears (all the way up to the spur) than the smaller diameter wheels of the Boost. So you'd probably be okay if avoid landing jumps with the throttle pegged.

My bottom-line advice: Set the slipper correctly and I think the plastic gears will probably be fine. If not, replace them with the metal gears.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back