ECX Circuit Stadium Truck 1/10 2WD rear left tire won't spin

circuitUser

I had an accident today and now the rear left tire won't spin. I took off the tire and it doesn't even look like it's supposed to spin. I am very confused. The other side looked different when I took off that tire. With the faulty tire off, it will spin the screw, but with the tire on, it will not spin. I will post pictures from my phone below. Thanks for any assistance.

Here are pictures. How is the tire supposed to spin? Only the screw spins. That hexagon where the tire attaches won't budge and prevents the tire from spinning. It must be something obvious.

Attachments

• 20220529_213029.jpg
    20220529_213029.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220529_213323.jpg
    20220529_213323.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 9
I had an accident today and now the rear left tire won't spin. I took off the tire and it doesn't even look like it's supposed to spin. I am very confused. The other side looked different when I took off that tire. With the faulty tire off, it will spin the screw, but with the tire on, it will not spin. I will post pictures from my phone below. Thanks for any assistance.

The axle (the screw sticking out) has a pin in it perpendicular to the angle you see the threaded end at. The wheel hex slides over that pin. The axle spins the pin which spins the hex which spins the wheel.

I would take that hex off (pry lightly), inspect the axle, the pin, the hub, and the bearings. It doesn't appear like the outside of the wheel hex or the inside of the wheel is damaged from the pics, but there may be damage to one of the components I listed and when you tighten down the wheel nut, it binds it.

The hex won't come off. It feels like it's fused to the other part. I will try to find something that will clamp on it.

gentle prying with flathead screwdriver, ideally two from opposite sides. sounds like the plastic hex smashed/melted to the pin and is binding the outer wheel bearing

The hex won't come off. It feels like it's fused to the other part. I will try to find something that will clamp on it.

any updates?

This is from the rear of our 4WD Ruckus, but it illustrates similar to what you would be looking at behind the plastic wheel hex. The shims I have behind the pin won't be there in stock form, but that's the chief area you should be inspecting...inner and outer wheel bearings, hub/knuckle, pin, wheel hex.

If you got lucky at the problem is just contained to the wheel hex, Hot Racing sells aluminum replacements. As do some no-name Amazon companies. I wouldn't put plastic ones back on it.

Here's the thread about my 2WD, there are a TON of pictures there for you to look through starting with when it was bone stock.

https://www.ecxforum.com/threads/hi-from-nj.3270/

Attachments

• C6C6264E-9FA0-46FF-8D5E-D10B02DDEF21.jpeg
    C6C6264E-9FA0-46FF-8D5E-D10B02DDEF21.jpeg
    221.5 KB · Views: 4
Thank you! I tried again today, prying harder, and it finally came loose. It seems like the pin broke and fell out causing the hex to "fuse" to the bearing holder. I should be able to just purchase this and call it a day, right? If I get an aluminum hex, won't I also need to replace the surrounding parts with something stronger? (The bearing, for example.)

Last edited:
Thank you! I tried again today, prying harder, and it finally came loose. It seems like the pin broke and fell out causing the hex to "fuse" to the bearing holder. I should be able to just purchase this and call it a day, right? If I get an aluminum hex, won't I also need to replace the surrounding parts with something stronger? (The bearing, for example.)
No, you could do just the hex. My HR hexes came with new pins too. If you end up needing to do the bearing holder (the hub or knuckle), I’d go aluminum as well. Plastic ones are a common break point in crashes

More than likely the pin behind the hex broke. Its actually common on a lot of the cheaper vehicles. Take the wheel off, and see if the hex turns without turning the axle.

The hex probably didn't fuse to the bearing holder. The plastic ECX hexes tend to fit very tightly to the axle when new. You can get aluminum hexes for it from multiple places, if you want to go that route. On mine, i just replace the pin and call it a day, since aluminum ones, unless they clamp to the axle, can also cause the pin to snap and do the same thing.

These, like the HR ones, use a set screw to clamp tightly to the axle, so that it doesn't break the pin as easily: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3140178778...3MzGF5tTx0kvx/tA246|tkp:BFBMjPzwlKRg&LH_BIN=1
As with anything aluminum, use Loc-Tite on the set screw so it doesn't back off.

I don't even understand how the pin could fall out. Even if it breaks, shouldn't it still be in there? It's such a tight fit I can't see where it would fall out from!?

Thanks for all the help. That last eBay link is almost too good to be true for that price.

I don't even understand how the pin could fall out. Even if it breaks, shouldn't it still be in there? It's such a tight fit I can't see where it would fall out from!?

Thanks for all the help. That last eBay link is almost too good to be true for that price.

The broken pin will typically stay inside the hex until someone disassembles to inspect and diagnose, but in its broken state it can’t hold its normal position so the wheel hex isn’t where it should be. That allows the axle to slide in and out like it shouldn’t, hex vs hub, hex vs wheel, etc

Latest posts

Members online

Back