Ecx ruckus 1/10: wheels don’t move with resistance

Gschimma

Hi, i have the above truck...actually two. One of the trucks won’t move on the ground but the motor will increase in rpm’s. When I lift it off the ground the wheels will spin appropriately albeit perhaps slower. Does my description make sense?

I would check your slipper clutch. It is likely loose. If so, there is a good possibility that the pad has been worn out.

Is this a 2wd or 4wd? There could be other possibilities as well, like wheel hexes stripped.

Finally had a chance to look at this? How does it come apart and how I know that's the problem?

There's a 7mm nut holding each wheel on. Take the two back wheels off and look if the inside of the wheel where it attaches to the hex drive is rounded or not

Stripped wheel and drive hex example:
B5067C8A-73F9-4F10-BF6B-8CF73FC4946F.jpeg

That rounded black circle on the axle should look like this if it was good (and the wheel has a matching shape to fit over it:
7A1E0558-29F9-4CDE-9074-9BEE7A1BB568.jpeg

Thanks a lot. I think that’s the problem but the hex isn’t rounded off. There was a time recently when grandpa was here, the tire came off and he fixed it. On one side there is a hex piece then a round piece. The side that the tire came off of before I initially thought was missing both the hex and round piece but I found the hex in the place in the tire. I dont see the round piece or those little bars like in your picture.

The little bars are what lock the black hex piece onto the drive shaft, and drive the wheel and tire.

The top two pictures he posted actually, show what happens when the hex drive and the hex drive shape inside the wheel get hot (or are sized wrong) and round off, and what he posted is an extreme case.

A "normal"black hex drive, should look something like the bottom picture, and is an actual hex shape, the bars are behind the black hex drive, and go through the drive axle, when assembled onto the axle, and you won't see the little bars.

May sound crazy but also just verify that both driveshafts are still intact. I threw one of them off while bashing and it took me a second to look at something so obvious. The other thing that has happened to me that caused this was the motor and pinion gear moving away from the spur gear so its not fully engaged. Also had this when the idle gear in the transmission lost some teeth. Man, I've broken too much stuff.

Thanks everyone. The wheel hex is not rounded but I noticed that it's missing the little bar and there's a round piece that's on the other shaft that's missing on the non functioning wheel. Everything must have come off when grandpa was here and only the hex part was found (actually stuck inside the wheel).

Does anyone know the part numbers for what I need? I looked at the horizon hobby website and see the wheel pins but not the circular piece.

Can you post pictures of what you are talking about?
I am not clear on what round piece you are talking about?

Here is page 53 from the ruckus manual.
ruckus.png
As you can see #21 pin, goes through #26, then #13 locks onto the pin.

Sure. The first picture is what I found after taking off the wheel. Second is the round piece that doesn’t belong...took off the other wheels as well as those a second similar truck. Third picture is the shaft. There seems to be a piece missing. Fourth is of the shaft from the same side wheel on the other truck. At minimum I know I some wheel rods or bars. What is the piece that’s missing and what is the extra circular piece?
Thanks

Attachments

• 65421DEE-2406-442B-A4EA-78F78E06A56D.jpeg
    65421DEE-2406-442B-A4EA-78F78E06A56D.jpeg
    73.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 87D0C517-B917-47FE-AB25-3929D4BA6210.jpeg
    87D0C517-B917-47FE-AB25-3929D4BA6210.jpeg
    82.6 KB · Views: 25
  • B082C579-8AB2-40F2-913D-AE04EB111108.jpeg
    B082C579-8AB2-40F2-913D-AE04EB111108.jpeg
    94 KB · Views: 22
  • E3F15424-BCFA-4146-BD9E-1AFF75593171.jpeg
    E3F15424-BCFA-4146-BD9E-1AFF75593171.jpeg
    95 KB · Views: 19
I'm no expert but the 4th picture appears to show a missing bearing.

The "extra circular piece" looks like grandpa was going to try to replace the bearing with a plastic bushing but put it on the wrong side.

I agree with @loosenut, the third picture, you are missing a hub bearing and the cross pin that goes through the drive axle.
Just guessing, but looking at the manual, the round black piece goes on the outside of the wheel before the axle nut?

I don't know if you have the missing parts or not, but you have a shopping list.

Here is the link to the manual. This is the 2wd version, which I assume is what you have.
Pages 53 and 54, 53 is the exploded view, and 54 is the parts list.
I think the bearing is #15, and the black round piece is #13?

https://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/ECX03002_Manual_EN.pdf

You need a 5X10X4mmm bearing and ECX1049 (pins) that's it. The black washer (spacer) does go under the locknut after the wheel is installed on the hex (with the ECX1049 pin in the axle).

so i have to replace the whole tire if it’s rounded off? the hex piece was actually fused to inside of the tire and I had to pry it off

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 7
so i have to replace the whole tire if it’s rounded off? the hex piece was actually fused to inside of the tire and I had to pry it off

That wheel needs to be replaced the hex inside the wheel is no longer useable it's stripped out.

so finally received and replaced the hex part and a new tire. better but the issue still exists...motor is spinning but there seems to something after the motor, slipper clutch...is there something in the transmission that allows one tire to spin if the other is meeting resistance? I have two trucks so I can compare. on the problem truck I can hold each tire independently and the other tire will continue to spin. there’s little resistance when I hold both tires and it moves slowly on the ground. on the working truck i can hold each tire independently and the other tire will spin, and more than the other truck. it’s impossible to hold both tires and throttle at the same time. thoughts?

can you tell when slipper clutches need to be replaced, ie., obvious wear, etc.?

Latest posts

Members online

Back