ECX Temper How To: 4 wheel steering mod

r8derhed5150

Hey all. I've had so much fun figuring out how to accomplish this on the Temper and end up with a full time 4x4x4 rig on a budget and I'm excited to share it with you.

So to keep things simple for now I will grow this how-to with more detail as my time permits so I'm not going to go into how to install the actual servo today because it installs exactly like the front does. My only issue is the hardware as I am not too sure of the screw sizes. I went shopping in dads shop where over the years he had harvested all kinds of micro screws from anything that had them that was on its way to the trash. But I will be updating this thread as I find out more and will post correct screw sizes in the near future. Now lets get to the good stuff.

The best thing I discovered on this truck is it's 4 wheel steering ready. The front and rear axles are identical but the rear is anchored to the axle with a small adjustable turnbuckle link. There are caster mounts and steering knuckles already. You only have to add a few parts and I have provided the required parts list (minus screws=P) down below.

My first attempt lead me to disappointment. I had followed a how-to video on the MaxStone. Some how in this example, with only the use of a servo y-cable along with the rest of the required parts was a simple plug and play mod. This was not so with the Temper. After installing the parts and connecting the rear servo, all four wheels would turn in the same direction. Not what we're looking for! Okay, let me try to reverse the + and - and see what happens. Nothing. Not even the front.

Wow, okay. Guess I have to figure out how to reverse a servo. Realized that the servo drive circuit will always need propper polarity since it has to power an IC to run things. So the next best way to reverse a servo without costing a dime is to crack it open and reverse the potentiometer polarity, as well as the servo motor polarity. Together will accomplish servo direction reversal. Well when I went to do this, I opened up the the servo and discovered the particular servo I used (Spektrum s603 so it matched the stock front) has the motor and control board epoxied in and the motor leads are inaccessible. So you have a few options here.

1. Use a different servo that either:
a. is reversed (not sure if you'll actually be able to tell before buying)
b. has accessible motor and potentiometer leads (soldering skills required)
OR
2. Use a TURNIGY servo manager or TURNIGY servo rerverser cable (just discovered the stand alone reverser so unconfirmed if it works but I can't see why not?)
OR
3. My first setup
top.jpg Flip the servo backwards and upside down and hook up the linkage that way. No electronic mods necessary except for the y-connector. I didn't like this because if you use this method, you have to 'float mount' the servo meaning mount using the servo's lower holes to the mounts upper holes. This is necessary in order for the horn to clear the axle pumpkin. Three good reasons why I don't recommend this:
a. If you spin your servo mount 180 degrees, you can only use two standoffs to secure the mount. This allows a ridiculous amount of flex and loss of turn power when needed.
b. The servo housing almost protrudes past the rear tires.
c. Tracking can also be an issue due to the difference in geometry. The steering is so much better after using method #2.
OR
4. The most expensive method, but the biggest pay off. A three+ channel rx/tx and a second servo. This method will give you the holy grail of traversing performance where depending on the options your radio has, you can switch between full time or even independent front OR rear. This could be the best method IF... you either have this equipment laying around already, or don't mind an electronics upgrade that will probably doubly surpass the cost of the car. If this pertains to you then go for it! Me, I'm just getting back to the hobby so I don't have spare parts yet.

So, I chose method #2. This servo manager allows either servo rate adjustment for two servos and a third tap allows reversal. This option does not require soldering where option #1 does. I wanted to save a few bucks and do #1 but I would have had to buy yet another servo to try this method so its no longer cost effective for me. There are YouTube videos available on how to do this since it is common for airplanes to use this mod already.

Parts list:

Servo - Could not find the S603 for sale except salvaged on eBay for about $20 shipped. I went with this particular servo because I was ignorant to the fact on how servos use the signal from the RX and thought they had to be the same to avoid any unwanted interference or incompatibility. But I'm pretty confident you can use almost any 1/10 surface servo out there for the mod in either scenarios I mentioned but may need to pay attention to the torque this car was engineered for. I may try a random servo just to verify unless someone beats me to it. ECX lists this as an "optional" replacement servo, the S605. It appears that either the S603 was phased out or may even be a production only servo and not an available replacement part or a combination of both. I haven't been able to find any data on on the 603. I think the only major difference between the two is the S605 is metal geared and the S603 are plastic/nylon (not sure but after opening, they are definitely not metal)
http://www.ecxrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPMS605
SPMS605-250big.jpg
-----------------------------------------------

Steering Links - Comes in a pack of 2 but you only need the one.
http://www.ecxrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=ECX214006
Links EXC214006.jpg

Servo mount - http://www.ecxrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=ECX211009
mount EXC21009.jpg

Turnigy servo manager- http://www.amazon.com/Turnigy-Channel-Direction-Regulator-Receiver/dp/B00P4VIG74
servreg.jpg
OR

(Just discovered as I write this)
Turnigy servo signal reverser http://www.amazon.com/Turnigy-Signal-Reverser-3v~12-6v-reverse/dp/B00QISJQBC
sigrev.jpg
----------------------------------------------
A Male to Male servo cable- Need to connect servo manager to RX. Looks like this is not needed if using the servo reverser.
2015-10-19 15.31.28.jpg
---------------------------------------------------
A second servo horn. The spline drive will vary depending on our servo so you will have to match one yourself unless you opted for the Spektrum S603, is a 23t spline. But the most important dimension is horn length. I measured about a 17mm radius horn the links all clear each other just fine.

And that's pretty much it. You end up with this:
nobod.jpg
no bod.jpg
done.jpg

Hope this helps out anyone interested in squeezing more fun out of their ECX Temper. The upgrade can be done for about $50 or less depending if you shop around or even better if you can recycle some old parts. If you have any questions or need some help accomplishing this, don't hesitate to hit me up!

Mike~

Last edited:
Thanks for doing this great write up.

I endorse this thread for sticky!

Thanks for your vote! Glad you like it. Doing this project is just what I needed. My son love's driving and just looking at how it works. Myself, LOL. You can see here what it does for me. But my dad? He's getting up there in age but still has a chance to stretch his walking years if he gets out and does something soon. Well the value in this has stretched out to him too. When I first showed it to him, I saw that twinkle in is eye when you see the coolest toy ever and you have to have one. He loved the idea of getting something more trail ready like a Yeti type buggy. I think i'm going to work on getting a couple for us to hit the trails. We have an abundance of trails here in the Bay Area, CA just minutes away in every direction. Get him off that darn computer!

I like it! Generations of RC lovers. Thanks for sharing.

If you get your dad to take the helm at an RC make sure you take lots of pics. You'll treasure those memories.

I like it! Generations of RC lovers. Thanks for sharing.

If you get your dad to take the helm at an RC make sure you take lots of pics. You'll treasure those memories.

Now I gotta try and find these old paper pics. Back about 1985, may dad made a car from scratch. Brass brazed tubing and aluminum rod chassis. 70's surplus robotic gearing complete with scratch made differential. I remember watching him drawing up his schematics for the RX and TX. Graph paper and a calculator and a couple IC and Transistor value books. Etching PCB's in acid. The only thing he bought from the hobby shop were some Tamiya Grasshopper wheels/tires. Even adapted whatever random bearings he could find. A few different rack and pinion steering setups. Now you see where I get it. But I'm no scratch builder like he is. When I ran into my steering problem, he loosely started trying to figure out how to make one of these servo reversers. He just hasn't had a chance to break out the oscilloscope to figure out what kind of signal it is. He's old school so the internet is his last resort. He's only on the computer anymore working on some database project. It appears he is starting to get a little tired of it so with the holidays approaching, some lucky LHS is about to break me.

Back to the pictures though. If I can't find any, I believe remnants of it still hide out in his shop somewhere. Time to dig!

Last edited:
Very nice write up. So good i called the LHS to see if they have the Temper and the are out of stock.
Awe bummer! Hope you can get your hands on one soon. Looking forward to seeing what everyone does to their Temper so I can borrow some more ideas. :D:D:D

I can't be done with it already??? Barely been three weeks since we got it!

Ok so I finished my rear steer on my temper total cost $1.99 for the y connector servo I had I made my bracket and I used the link that's on the rear axle works great all you have to do is set the front steer straight set the rear last no dog tracking of course the bracket I made was not thick plastic I had a set of Traxxas wheelie bars that I broke a while back so I cut out my bracket from that now the reason I did this is budget if you buy all of the extra things to make it rear drive you now have taken your budget rc and have spent more than when you first went to buy an inexpensive crawler you can purchase an RTR with rear steer the transmitter to go with it for maybe under $300 I work as a mechanic for 40+ years so my challenge is to make things work without spending a lot of $$$$$ that's my enjoyment

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Ok so I finished my rear steer on my temper total cost $1.99 for the y connector servo I had I made my bracket and I used the link that's on the rear axle works great all you have to do is set the front steer straight set the rear last no dog tracking of course the bracket I made was not thick plastic I had a set of Traxxas wheelie bars that I broke a while back so I cut out my bracket from that now the reason I did this is budget if you buy all of the extra things to make it rear drive you now have taken your budget rc and have spent more than when you first went to buy an inexpensive crawler you can purchase an RTR with rear steer the transmitter to go with it for maybe under $300 I work as a mechanic for 40+ years so my challenge is to make things work without spending a lot of $$$$$ that's my enjoyment

Total cost $1.99? Howd you do taht? Wait, did you upgrade electronics?

T
Total cost $1.99? Howd you do taht? Wait, did you upgrade electronics?
he only reason I changed the esc is because I had it and I don't like the all in one Esc I like to control what I want to add with the original you can't even bind so I eliminated it. But yes $1.99 for two y connectors now I have one spare y connector if you set the rear horn right the adjustable link works fine as I said no dog tracking I used the crawler all day works fine the only thing I'm going to buy now is a Lipo battery I also ordered some new pinion gears that I'll be doing some testing with for a more aggressive climb not speed. When I first bought the temper I cut some coils on the all of the springs making the top real wobbly never had a problem with it tipping over but today I decided to make the springs stiffer now it's tipping over a lot so I'm going back with the weaker springs

My video

Last edited by a moderator:
Still waiting on my gears
Saw on another thread you ordered the 5tooth pinions, please let us know how they work with the stock motor, or if you swap the motor.
Ive got big plans for this little crawler. Small steps as $$ is available. Already have 3/4oz on each axle (flat lead weights from my LHS), as well as some lead fishing sinkers in the tires, probably about an once each front tire and 1/2oz each rear.(took the foam out completely) ordered some 14mm wideners and some axial scx10's. Want to convert to 4wheel stear with the redcat racing 3channel (has an lcd screen showing stearing mode), waiting on the servo mount to be available in the states again. You can get em from Australia but the shipping is $57.

Saw on another thread you ordered the 5tooth pinions, please let us know how they work with the stock motor, or if you swap the motor.
Ive got big plans for this little crawler. Small steps as $$ is available. Already have 3/4oz on each axle (flat lead weights from my LHS), as well as some lead fishing sinkers in the tires, probably about an once each front tire and 1/2oz each rear.(took the foam out completely) ordered some 14mm wideners and some axial scx10's. Want to convert to 4wheel stear with the redcat racing 3channel (has an lcd screen showing stearing mode), waiting on the servo mount to be available in the states again. You can get em from Australia but the shipping is $57.
Make your own bracket cut out some plastic buy the servo mount and you got a bracket my rear servo sits better than the original see picture as you can see I used the original adjusting link I have no problem with this set up I've been trying to post a video of it crawling but I don't know how to

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 38
Im kinda holding off on doing the 4wheel stear untill i can pickup a 3 channel rx/tx. Was leaning towards this one...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0055MACF6/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1L4LS2KNDBWYV
Seams like it would be a fairly easy setup with that. Will likely put the receiver in a waterproof box since this time of year my crawling is done in the snow, and i enjoy a little piece of mind knowing im not frying electronics with melting snow.
That is the remote im using works awsome

Good to know, since I ordered it the other day. :) also have a couple high torque losi servos to go with it.
Im using the stock servo in rear and spektrum 6020 in front and the stock esc off my slickrock its working great for me so far now to figure out the torq twist

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back