ECX Torment constant issues.

Biggman100

Let me start by saying, i didn't buy an RTR. I know a shop that not only sells new RTR vehicles, but, he will also sell parts, sliders, and rollers. You just have to let him know what you are looking for. Anyway, i bought a brand new out of the box slider chassis from him (i watched him take a new RTR out of a sealed box, pull the electronics, wheels and tires, and body, so i know it was new). The truck was built by me right from the start with a BL setup (3652 3250KV motor, HW 10BL60 ESC), and, i have ran it 6 times, and each time something has broke on it. It started with stripping two spurs in the first battery, then, using an Axial 32P spur, stripped that in less than 10 minutes, then the next run stripped a Losi spur and then an Arrma Fury spur, so, after having someone else look at it just to see what he thought, we decided that it had to be something in the motor mount flexing and causing the spur to get stripped. So, since not much is available for it, i picked up an all metal transmission for an Axial SCX10, and installed it, and, even with it barely moving (not sure if the motor was too weak, or the spur is slipping too much), on the next 3 runs, i managed to destroy the driveshafts, then a front hub blew apart, 3 of the 4 shocks had issues, from bent shafts to caps cracking and blowing off, somehow broke a front control arm on flat ground in a parking lot, and then shattered both rear lower arms off a small jump, so, my question is, am i doing something wrong, or are these trucks just that bad? I have several SCT's (Arrma Fury, Arrma Senton/Typhon hybrid, DHK Hobby Hunter, Losi 22S, Team Associated SC10, Traxxas Slash 2WD kit), and i dont have near as many problems with them that i do this ECX, and i run them way harder than i have the Torment. Even at a concrete skate park, several times, including a day where it was below 30 degrees F with snow on the ground, i only managed to break a rear hub landing a jump wrong with the Slash, and that has an Arrma BLX100 ESC and 3660 3800KV motor in it currently.

Hi Biggman,

Sorry to hear you are having that many issues with your ECX Torment.
I have 4 Torments, and a Amp, the only thing that has been torn up is 4 spur gears, I can't say it was the manufacturers fault as I went up to 3s, and I could have possibly got the gear mesh incorrect on a couple. I dont think I did mind you, just that the possibility could have been there.
I did upgrade some things, Traxxas adjustable links, and a RPM servo saver eliminator. Other than those a a few new bearings, the motors and ESC;s have been upgraded. As I knock on wood, I haven't destroyed much of anything else, and I say that even after hitting a brick retaining wall at about half throttle.
Unless you are doing 30' air jumps at the skate park like Kevin talbot on the youtube does, I dont see the Torment being that bad really. Albeit I went into the purchases knowing that the ECX brand was not the top of the line cars.
The worse thing I have dealt with on my Torments is the wheel wobble in reverse and slop in the steering components, but that may be because 3 of them were used purchases, I still have slop in the steering knuckles but unless it is broke and I am not racing, it'll be fine until it lets go, or I can no longer control it.

Again I am sorry to hear you are having that much trouble, and even though you absolutly should not have to upgrade a brand new Roller? Hot Racing metal spur gear could have helped? But you already swapped the transmission. RPM makes good replacement arms and such.

Hi Biggman,

Sorry to hear you are having that many issues with your ECX Torment.
I have 4 Torments, and a Amp, the only thing that has been torn up is 4 spur gears, I can't say it was the manufacturers fault as I went up to 3s, and I could have possibly got the gear mesh incorrect on a couple. I dont think I did mind you, just that the possibility could have been there.
I did upgrade some things, Traxxas adjustable links, and a RPM servo saver eliminator. Other than those a a few new bearings, the motors and ESC;s have been upgraded. As I knock on wood, I haven't destroyed much of anything else, and I say that even after hitting a brick retaining wall at about half throttle.
Unless you are doing 30' air jumps at the skate park like Kevin talbot on the youtube does, I dont see the Torment being that bad really. Albeit I went into the purchases knowing that the ECX brand was not the top of the line cars.
The worse thing I have dealt with on my Torments is the wheel wobble in reverse and slop in the steering components, but that may be because 3 of them were used purchases, I still have slop in the steering knuckles but unless it is broke and I am not racing, it'll be fine until it lets go, or I can no longer control it.

Again I am sorry to hear you are having that much trouble, and even though you absolutly should not have to upgrade a brand new Roller? Hot Racing metal spur gear could have helped? But you already swapped the transmission. RPM makes good replacement arms and such.
I still have the stock transmission. I just wish they made a metal plate that would stiffen up the area where the motor goes. Maybe then it wouldnt be such an issue with spur gears. I had a Team Associated SC10 that had somewhat the same issue burning up spurs, just not as quickly as this Torment does, and on the AE, once i put in a metal motor plate, that issue went away. I do have a couple Racers Edge/Team C transmissions that i considered modifying the metal plate from them and putting in the stock ECX transmission, but, since i am trying to eventually put that truck back together, im not sure i want to cut up those plates. I guess i could always look for a plate from something else that might work. The driveshafts im thinking of eventually just going with aluminum or steel CVD's. I have only ran the Torment once at the skate park i usually run my other stuff at.

I did eventually go with a Hot Racing metal spur gear, and new slipper clutch components and all my spur gear issues went away. I still have some steering slop though. But not as bad as it used to be.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back