ESC/Tx Help on Couple New-to-me AMPs

sasha45acp

Hey guys! My first post and I already need help...

I just got 2 almost new AMPs from a buddy of mine. Had no Tx, no bodies, missing a couple of wheels and hex nut, etc.
I've been diligently restoring both into running shape for my boys, but ran into the ESC / Tx combination issue.

Both trucks have ECX13010s ESCs in them, but I could only find a couple of ECX10003 TXs for them.
From what I see in some other posts I guess they're not compatible? I was able to bind, but only have throttle working.

Any help or suggestions appreciated! Thank you and good weekend to all.

Hey guys! My first post and I already need help...

I just got 2 almost new AMPs from a buddy of mine. Had no Tx, no bodies, missing a couple of wheels and hex nut, etc.
I've been diligently restoring both into running shape for my boys, but ran into the ESC / Tx combination issue.

Both trucks have ECX13010s ESCs in them, but I could only find a couple of ECX10003 TXs for them.
From what I see in some other posts I guess they're not compatible? I was able to bind, but only have throttle working.

Any help or suggestions appreciated! Thank you and good weekend to all.
That is the same ecx/rx and transmitter that is in my nephews Amp Crush so they should work together.
If you have throttle but no steering it is likely that the servo is dead, but for that to happen on both vehicles is rather odd. Do you have a way to test the servos?

If it was me I would ditch the combo esc/rx as they always seem to have issues.
If you want to keep costs down I would go with this esc https://www.ebay.com/itm/133399979555?epid=15039269348&hash=item1f0f422623:g:1zQAAOSwkUpikDzd
And this radio https://www.ebay.com/itm/265071556827?hash=item3db77ef8db:g:YWYAAOSwFNhgPFzj

That is the same ecx/rx and transmitter that is in my nephews Amp Crush so they should work together.
If you have throttle but no steering it is likely that the servo is dead, but for that to happen on both vehicles is rather odd. Do you have a way to test the servos?

If it was me I would ditch the combo esc/rx as they always seem to have issues.
If you want to keep costs down I would go with this esc https://www.ebay.com/itm/133399979555?epid=15039269348&hash=item1f0f422623:g:1zQAAOSwkUpikDzd
And this radio https://www.ebay.com/itm/265071556827?hash=item3db77ef8db:g:YWYAAOSwFNhgPFzj
Thank you so much for your help! I think I localized it to the one ESC or servo connection!
  • Plugged in another working servo - no response.
  • I tested the servo with servo tester... It's working well! Good news.
  • I binded the second truck to another Tx – All in working order!
So, what I'll do is rebind ESC #1 to Tx #2 and see if the issue is the same. That way I can also eliminate Tx from troubleshooting chain. And ESC would be the culprit. Does that seem reasonable?

The ESC you linked cannot be connected to stock ECX Tx, correct? Do you know which Tx would be compatible?

Thank you so much for your help! I think I localized it to the one ESC or servo connection!
So, what I'll do is rebind ESC #1 to Tx #2 and see if the issue is the same. That way I can also eliminate Tx from troubleshooting chain. And ESC would be the culprit. Does that seem reasonable?

The ESC you linked cannot be connected to stock ECX Tx, correct? Do you know which Tx would be compatible?
Yeah the stock transmitter only works with the stock esc. The one that I linked above will work it is a lower end unit but it gets the job done.
If you have the extra money I would go with the DUMBORC X6 it has built in gyro and gobs of range DUMBORC-X6 2.4Ghz 6 Channel RC Transmitter with Gyro Inside Receiver Low Power Alarm and Out of Control Protections Radio Controller for Remote Car /Boat/Tank Mixed Mode Remote Controller https://a.co/d/2DQ7dTQ

the ecx 13010 is a combined esc and rx. a rx and tx is a bound pair and needs to work together. in the aftermarket, esc and rx are usually two seperate components. as long as your rx and tx can pair (sometimes different brand rx and tx can pair), you're good with just about any esc. just make sure the esc has a bec voltage output compatible with the rx (99% are, it's when you get into real high voltage stuff).

from the diagnostics you did, either the esc has an internal problem that is not allowing it to power up the servo on the black/white/red 3 wire connection, or there is a problem on that 3 wire setup. you could check for obvious trauma to the wires and check the pins at the connector to make sure one isn't loose/burnt/corroded, but I think your best bet is to replace the esc in that one model. again, if you're going to go aftermarket, you're going to need to buy an esc that has a built in receiver or buy a seperate receiver (my preference, both for performance and reliability). bind the transmitter to the new receiver, then calibrate the throttle endpoints (laymans terms commonly called calibrate the radio).

I concur with the recommendations of products @slick2500 made

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Back