Esc "whooping", flashing red, tires barely move, stripped diff? daughters car

Yazman

Hey all. My daughter has a second-hand Ruckus 1/18 that had a really hard life. When using my stock nimh batteries, the truck almost never will run, it just makes "whelping" alarm-like noises and every 1 in 10 times with eventually make a different noise and run.

When it does run, it revs way up but barely moves. It used to finally get going, but now it doesn't move at all.

I'm thinking about just replacing the transmitter, esc, and upgrading the motor. I'm taking a wild guess that the diffs somewhere are probably also stripped?

This is mostly going to be run just inside the house. Maybe in the driveway. What is the cheapest way I can get this thing up and running? It's for my young daughter.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 16433870572573899381859942806341.jpg
    16433870572573899381859942806341.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 8
Wow, that thing looks about as rough as the two I had! They are known to have tranny problems ,very likely, if you add more power. Yours seems stock, so a little surprised your gears got so chewed up!!

Wow, that thing looks about as rough as the two I had! They are known to have tranny problems ,very likely, if you add more power. Yours seems stock, so a little surprised your gears got so chewed up!!
It seems like there's zero aftermarket support. I think I'm gonna just sell this one for parts 😭

It seems like there's zero aftermarket support. I think I'm gonna just sell this one for parts 😭
It looks like parts are still available for it. The stock brushed motor and plastic gear transmission are junk. Horizon Hobby still sells the brushless motor with speed controller and Cobra sells the metal geared transmission, just buy a few extra spur gears so when they strip the teeth because you didn't keep the gear lash adjusted correctly, you'll be able to keep rolling. We have 2 and smoked the motors first time out, opened up the motor shell and the brushes are made of junk. The brushless set up makes all the difference. Way more power. If you can keep from smashing it into obstacles and clean it after every use, compressed air blowing the dirt off the suspension parts, it will last much longer. we've had ours for 3 years . Also 2S LIPO battery is best . Hobby king or amazon for batteries

Looks like I made a mistake. I have the 1/10 scale Ruckus and you have the 1/18 scale which I didn't know existed. You can still check around for parts. A brand new vehicle will usually be the best ticket. Just be sure to get one with a brushless motor set up. It's superior to brushed.

Will this work? Says for 1/18 Ruckus. Is this what I need to fix my truck?
View attachment 7372
I dont think that is the correct part, the part that you had in your hand, has outdrives hooked to it. The piece in the photo is a spur gear with a slipper clutch attatched, two different things. I hope someone else chimes in, just in case I am wrong.

Spur gear transfers motor power to transmission. truck won't move with stripped teeth. . You have a used and possibly abused truck that may or may not be worth putting the money into it to get it going if there is too much wrong with it. First thing to do is download the manual from Horizon Hobby and READ IT. Then scan the available parts prices. Then price a BRAND NEW one {amazon,ebay,king cobra,etc.} and you'll find just put your money in a new one and save your old one for parts or gradually a fix it over time as you learn your machine .Now if all that is wrong is a stripped spur gear then yes it's worth the 12 bucks. Make sure your battery is good and fully charged.The manual should answer most of your questions on how to do it. You have to decide where to put your money.

Is it just me or does it look like there is grease all over the slipper assembly? That could be the problem as you never want to put any sort of lube anywhere near the slipper otherwise it will just slip.

I dont think that is the correct part, the part that you had in your hand, has outdrives hooked to it. The piece in the photo is a spur gear with a slipper clutch attatched, two different things. I hope someone else chimes in, just in case I am wrong.
That is the correct part. You have to remove the outdrives from the stock slipper and put them on that one.

Latest posts

Members online

Back