Fast Eddy Bearing upgrade: ECX AMP

i_r_beej

I was the lucky winner of the ECX Forum drawing for a set of sealed bearings from Fast Eddy Bearings. Here's the promised review and installation!

I initially requested the set for the ECX Boost, but I had forgotten that I'd upgraded my boost to RPM front spindle blocks and rear axle carriers. RPM designed those components to accommodate larger bearings so, unfortunately, I had no need of a majority of the bearings in the kit! It would have been a shame to let the potential smoothness go untapped so... I bought an ECX AMP MT. The photos in this story show the bag labeled "ECX BOOST" but the kit is actually identical to the AMP kit (as the two chassis are very similar and use the same spindle blocks, rear axle carriers and transmission.)

The bearing kit is supplied in conveniently reusable packaging (a zip-lock bag and plastic tube). The stock bearings that I'm removing are not trashed and may come in useful in the future so having a clean, protected place to store them will be great.

FEB-new-bearings.jpg

I begin pulling the stock bearings (top) and, seeing that they are only shielded, not sealed, they are quite grubby from the lubricant that has been weeping out of the races. I also discovered that several of the stock bearings are already feeling gritty after just a few hours of run time in normal outdoor dirt conditions (no powdery dust).

FEB-old-dirty.jpg

The stock bearing on the right is the side of the bearing that was facing the inside of the axle carrier and thus protected from the elements. The Fast Eddy bearings (bottom) have black rubber seals so I expect them to fare much better in keeping out the dirt!

FEB-old-new.jpg

I notice immediately that the Fast Eddy bearings turn very freely. They have obviously been filled with a light grease suitable for RC applications (your car doesn't need to fight a thick, heavy grease that is typical for larger scale applications or heavy, high-pressure loads). This is definitely a good thing; these aren't just small bearings, these are small bearings for RC cars!

Installing into the spindle blocks and axle carriers is quick work as the Fast Eddy bearings press right in. The spindles are not quite as snug a fit as I would have liked, but I attribute this to the ECX part and not the bearing tolerances. Even so, there's no excessive slop or play once the shafts are installed and wheels mounted.

FEB-installed.jpg

At only US$15 (with another few for shipping) for the standard steel sealed bearing set, it's a good, almost must-have, upgrade once you've broken in your car. (Or sooner if you've been driving in wet conditions!)

Thanks again to @WoodiE and Fast Eddy Bearings for the giveaway!

Last edited:
Great review @i_r_beej, thanks for posting it!
I notice immediately that the Fast Eddy bearings turn very freely.

I just installed a set of FastEddyBearings in my son's 2WD stampede and can certainly agree with how freely these bearings spin. I can spin the front wheel and it spins for a good couple minutes before stopping.

Thanks for the review! Once you've had a chance to take your Amp out for a few runs keep us updated on their long term durability.

That's funny. Any reason to get a new RC sounds good to me.

I put a set in my mini Ruckus when I got it and they are definitely smooth.

Haha! I'd like to but the Boost gets a racing motor (17.5T "stock" brushless) first. I DID put a 15T 550 brushed in the AMP. It definitely rips on a fresh battery!

Unless you know you need ceramic (and most people don't) then stick with a good set of steel ball bearings like those of Team Fast Eddy and/or Boca.

I agree 100%. Again, I bought that set almost a decade ago. I believe at that time the set was well under $100. On the plus side though, I've never had to replace a bearings. :D

That's funny. Any reason to get a new RC sounds good to me.

I put a set in my mini Ruckus when I got it and they are definitely smooth.
Hey Mike I talked to hot racing about the axles they make for the torment,ruckus,and the roost in 1/18 scale they should have them back in stock in 3weeks they will email me when they do

Once you've had a chance to take your Amp out for a few runs keep us updated on their long term durability.

Here it is, a year later and the bearings from Fast Eddy are doing just fine. About six to seven months bashing about on the dirt roads around my house, some minor splashing through puddles in the fall and now the bearings are still serving the car well in its current form as a Circuit racing in the Stadium Truck class. Later this summer when the local outdoor dirt track opens up... that's when the bearings will get a dirty workout.

Thank you for this post! I've been wondering how well these fast Eddy's bearing are. After reading this and then reading the one year update. You got me sold. I'll be purchasing these for all 3 of my trucks.

Latest posts

Members online

Back