First AMP Build

mikevi

Hey guys, figure I'll put the first life in this category.

Just got my AMP MT BTD today.

Process is pretty simple, my wife related it to Lego's so go figure how easy it is. But it definitely gives you a lot of understanding of how things connect, what could go wrong, and how to disassemble the easiest for the inevitable fixes.

[GALLERY=media, 125]Unboxed AMP BTD by mikevi posted Sep 6, 2016 at 9:43 PM[/GALLERY]
[GALLERY=media, 126]Layout of Parts by mikevi posted Sep 6, 2016 at 9:43 PM[/GALLERY]
[GALLERY=media, 127]Front End Together by mikevi posted Sep 6, 2016 at 9:43 PM[/GALLERY]
[GALLERY=media, 128]Starting to look like a truck by mikevi posted Sep 6, 2016 at 9:43 PM[/GALLERY]
[GALLERY=media, 129]Finished(except Paint) by mikevi posted Sep 6, 2016 at 9:43 PM[/GALLERY]

I've yet to paint it. Still deciding what color I want. And I have a Power HD 1501MG on the way along with the Servo Saver. Next up is a Venom Lipo and some metal gears but I think I'll enjoy the stock truck for a bit so I can appreciate the upgrades. I'll keep this post updated with the truck.

There's a sweet BMX track by my work that I think I'll be spending lunch at from now on.

IMG_6451.jpg

- These two didn't care for the truck all that much.

Thanks for the build thread! Did you run into any issues with assembly? You'll be swapping those parts soon, the battery and steering servo are big weak spots for the Amp.

Yeah, I anticipated the steering being bad as everyone says so and I can imagine that being a bigger frustration point than power right now, so I got the new one on the way. 6x the torque!

As for problems, the only one I could say would be just pay attention to which screws to use. It's laid out the best they can, but me being impatient I did have to backstep and redo some screws whether it being course vs fine threaded or 12-15mm which is hard to notice to an untrained eye(I'm a construction engineer, I should see that).

To be honest, I saved a ton of links this forum provided for recommended upgrades and now after assembling, they all make so much more sense as to why they will be necessary some day.

I'll recommend the plain Hot Racing SECT288 instead of the heavier set you have listed. It's a few dollars cheaper and weighs less. I use them in three vehicles to include my menacing 2WD Ruckus. I've broken many things in my AMP DB and Ruckus but the axles aren't one. :cool:

IMAG1598.jpg

[GALLERY=media, 131]Paint Job (front) by mikevi posted Sep 9, 2016 at 8:32 PM[/GALLERY]
[GALLERY=media, 130]Paint Job (rear) by mikevi posted Sep 9, 2016 at 8:32 PM[/GALLERY]

Finally got some paint for the truck. Went with my favorite green and put some 60W oil in the rear and 50W in the front. Did a bit of ramp jumping today at work and it was slamming the ground so I wanted a bit more bounce. Gonna take it out with the wife and dogs tomorrow.

Finally got my HD-1501 and put it on last night with the new RPM SS. All in all, I gotta say, not a good experience worth the payoff. I've only driven it once and given I don't have a lot of experience in the hobby, but the turning hasn't improved justifiably.

I also had a problem with the servo-saver. I had to modify it with a dremel to make it not rub on the front bumper attachment. Even after what I felt was the max I could grind off, it still rubs a bit under no stress which makes me worry when it's driving what is happening. And also, again, inexperience, but I don't see why the RPM version is better than the stock one.

So, for my personal recommendation, hold off on this upgrade if your contemplating. It did not pay off for me.

Finally got my HD-1501 and put it on last night with the new RPM SS. All in all, I gotta say, not a good experience worth the payoff. I've only driven it once and given I don't have a lot of experience in the hobby, but the turning hasn't improved justifiably.

I also had a problem with the servo-saver. I had to modify it with a dremel to make it not rub on the front bumper attachment. Even after what I felt was the max I could grind off, it still rubs a bit under no stress which makes me worry when it's driving what is happening. And also, again, inexperience, but I don't see why the RPM version is better than the stock one.

So, for my personal recommendation, hold off on this upgrade if your contemplating. It did not pay off for me.

There are those that swear by that upgrade. I'm in the same boat as you, I saw little to no benefit. All it did was hop teeth on the stock servo. As I didn't feel like swapping servos (my young kids truck), I went back to stock.

When you say RPM SS, do you mean the servo saver "eliminator"? RPM doesn't make a "servo saver" just the eliminator bell crank set. Are you running metal gear servo? I literally ditched the stock steering stuff the day I got my buggy, it steered so bad and had so much play I found it comical. I run a metal servo with RPM eliminator and have full steering throw with no binding and no clearance issues. Easily the best money I've spent on it, not sure why some people have issues with it, but it is meant for a vehicle with an aftermarket metal gear servo for full benefit

Yeah, I got the Eliminator. My new 1501 is a metal gear servo, 17kg. I left my remote at full D/R and really noticed no difference. I think it may be a little more responsive but I never really had a problem with the stock servo in terms of being able to turn on a dime. So that stayed the same. But the RPM SS was bulkier and required some heavy grinding and still rubs, so all in all, it did not do much to my trucks performance.

The main difference before and after the servo saver eliminator is that when you drive fast over bumpy grass, the wheels hold their angle (if your servo is up to it...), instead of straightening out every time the front end lands from a skip.

I did figure-eight laps in the back yard before and after and the difference on this surface was huge. On tarmac, the stock setup was sufficient and the servo saver eliminator only made crashes more expensive.

My buggy is setup for racing dirt track's so I guess that makes a difference. Steering needs to be as precise and durable as possible for my liking. I've never even drove it on grass haha

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back