First impressions: Hobbywing 1080 Crawler ESC in ECX Temper

i_r_beej

I finished the installation of the Hobbywing Quicrun 1080 WP brushed crawler ESC last night and took it out for a quick first test in the snow today.

I experimented with programming some of the functions and REALLY like the drag brake. Previously the Temper would simply coast down inclines or freewheel over the crest of an obstacle when I wanted to stop, instead. The drag brake puts a stop to this, almost literally. Instead of just freewheeling, the car will slow to a "molasses in December" creep, allowing you time to pick a line instead of the car just rolling off out of control. This really makes the car feel like it's crawling or climbing around obstacles instead of just plowing over them.

Below is a table showing all the configurable options. Considering that the current retail for the 1080 is about US$42.00, it's amazing!

quicrun1080.png

"Punch" is another setting that tremendously increases control. The stock ESC was responsive enough, but the Hobbywing 1080 provides such a fine level of control via "punch" that I can pull the trigger about 25 percent and the car is still creeping along. Fantastic! Punch provides a progressive control over the throttle and reduces wheelspin upon increased throttle application. Great for when you're in the middle of a tricky section and you don't want your car slewing sideways when you're trying to climb over a rock.

The level of control the Hobbywing 1080 Crawler ESC provides makes the Temper like a completely different car! I'm looking forward to driving in better weather.

This thing completely crushes all other available brushed ESCs out there.

Below is the new ESC, Spektrum receiver, and servo reverser installed. Snug, but everything fits okay!

ecx_temper_hobbywing_installed.jpg

Last edited:
I finished the installation of the Hobbywing 1080 WP brushed crawler ESC last night and took it out for a quick first test in the snow today.

I experimented with programming some of the functions and REALLY like the drag brake. Previously the Temper would simply coast down inclines or freewheel over the crest of an obstacle when I wanted to stop, instead. The drag brake puts a stop to this, almost literally. Instead of just freewheeling, the car will slow to a "molasses in December" creep, allowing you time to pick a line instead of the car just rolling off out of control. This really makes the car feel like it's crawling or climbing around obstacles instead of just plowing over them.

Below is a table showing all the configurable options. Considering that the current retail for the 1080 is about US$42.00, it's amazing!

View attachment 1351

"Punch" is another setting that tremendously increases control. The stock ESC was responsive enough, but the Hobbywing 1080 provides such a fine level of control via "punch" that I can pull the trigger about 25 percent and the car is still creeping along. Fantastic! Punch provides a progressive control over the throttle and reduces wheelspin upon increased throttle application. Great for when you're in the middle of a tricky section and you don't want your car slewing sideways when you're trying to climb over a rock.

The level of control the Hobbywing 1080 Crawler ESC provides makes the Temper like a completely different car! I'm looking forward to driving in better weather.

This thing completely crushes all other available brushed ESCs out there.

Below is the new ESC, Spektrum receiver, and servo reverser installed. Snug, but everything fits okay!

View attachment 1350
Thanks for the valuable information. I've been doing some research after reading your post and it seems to be the best fit for our temper. This esc can use a 3s battery.I couldn't imagine a 3s in the temper. flat ground backflips all day lol. mine should be here in a few days.

I got a new dynamite 60a esc the other day. I put it in my sons torment . It has a crawler mode, the old dynamite 60a didn't have it.. Its great. The drag brake is stronger than the normal brake haha. Great for my son. Might put some bigger wheels on it and put a 9t pinion in there. Let him try out his crawler game.

Looks like a great upgrade! I just picked up a Temper and would love the drag brake option. Could you provide more info on the receiver and 4WS setup? I assume the receiver is necessary with the ESC upgrade. Will it work with the stock transmitter? Apologies if you've already posted elsewhere, I did some digging and didn't come across it.

Thanks!

I meant to post a follow-up and... just forgot to!
I don't believe the transmitter that shipped with the Temper will pair with a Spektrum receiver as the stock radio is not Spektrum. I already had a couple of Spektrum transmitters: the DX2E and DX4C so installing a Spektrum SR210 Rx was not a big deal. I paired the DX2E with the new receiver, installed a servo reverser Y-harness (in the photo you can see it as the small heat-shrink wrapped package tucked in next to the battery in the upper upper side). The Y-harness allows two servos to be plugged into a single port on the Rx and reverses one. It was a plug-and-play installation-- very easy. I believe the brand I bought was "eFlite" but they are available under several brands-- >here's one on HorizonHobby< Initially I was worried about a loss of performance by running two servos on one receiver port but I never experienced any problems. (Probably helps that the HW 1080 ESC provides 6V)

However, at a later date I kicked myself: My Spektrum DX4C transmitter has a steer mix and 4WS support!! So I pulled the SR210 Rx and reversing Y-harness and installed a SR310 3-channel Rx. With this receiver, each servo plug into its own port. This process took a little more time as I had to adjust the servo travel, centering, etc on the Tx but it was only a matter of 15 or so minutes. Now the Temper has standard 4WS and crab-steering. Crab steering is turned on and off via a small button on the grip of the transmitter.

Just bought a losi night crawler 2.0. Buzzing. Should arrive friday.
Better join a losi forum haha.
Still got the ruckus tho.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back