First Look: Hobbywing Quicrun 1080 WP brushed Crawler ESC

i_r_beej

I just received my Hobbywing Quicrun 1080 WP ESC for brushed motors.

hw_quicrun_1080_unboxing.jpg

The ESC ships with a program card and features a wide array of tuneable options that mirror those of the Hobbywing XeRun XR10 Justock brushless ESC in my racing buggy.

Unfortunately I didn't have time to get the new ESC completely installed. I clipped off the pre-installed XT60 connector and soldered on an EC3 connector and connected the Spektrum SR201 receiver and the steering servos.

The 1080 WP ESC features a programmable 6V/7.4V 3A BEC. The ECX Temper's stock ESC only provides 5V and the increased power from the new Hobbbywing ESC was definitely noticeable in my quick test of the new system. The two steering servos were faster and stronger.

hw_quicrun_1080_comparison.jpg

The Quicrun 1080 WP is the same size as the stock ESC/Rx combo unit in the Temper. There will be plenty of room for the SR210 Rx that I will also be installing. You can see the new ESC's switch: It's a pushbutton unit that glows red when the system is on. Press it again for a second or two and the ESC turns off. Personally I would have preferred a single pole/single throw switch. But hey! This new one glows! So take that, old-fashioned tech!

I plan on installing new gold-plated bullet connectors between the new ESC and the stock motor. I hope to get to that tonight and calibrate and fully test the whole system.

I know, right? I was ready to buy a brushed Dynamite ESC that had a "crawler mode" (forward and reverse with no brake) but this Hobbywing model was the SAME price with crazy configurability!

I picked up one of these, too. I'm going to use it in my scx10. I haven't hooked it up yet but the initial impression out of the box is good. If it delivers with all those options I'll be happy.

Latest posts

Members online

Back