Fixing front and rear diffs on a Ruckus - where to start

steveng_nh

My son has had his ECX Ruckus for about 9 months now. He bought it with his Christmas money this past year. It lasted about 3 months before we started hearing grinding sounds from the diffs, and now, it hardly moves.

If you pick it up, 3 of the 4 wheels will spin quickly, but as soon as you touch them you can easily stop them dead. The motor continues to spin without issues. We also have observed it goes quicker in reverse than forward right now.

The truck is all stock still.

I am convinced the gears in the front and rear diffs (transmissions) are stripped. I tried to get them apart last night, but after being a dozen tiny screws in, with still no clear way inside them, I got cold feet and put it all back together. I've searched the web and read a bunch of stuff, but haven't found a good tutorial on the best way to get these out of the chassis and replace the parts.

I did find new complete units for $20 each, but spending another $40 on a $100 RC car, that will just fail again, seems crazy. I'd love to replace the parts with better quality ones.

I admit, I'm overwhelmed with some of the terminology and options, so I'm looking for some type of beginners guide on fixing this issue, or someone saying "buy these parts, this is what you want..."

He doesn't want to go brushless and all that. Just get the truck running again with parts that will last longer than these did. I am handy, and fix iPhones and my own snowmobiles, trucks, etc, with no concerns at all. But the teeny tiny parts of this RC unit has me running scared! LOL

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks

It sounds like you have a 4WD version though you should give a few more details such as what scale Ruckus and whether its 4WD...anyway, I can't help you with your issue as I am a newbie to hobby but I have taken mine a apart a few times now and learned one helpful thing is to take pictures of each item you are removing with the screws next to the part and number it with the screws in the pairs as you take them off. You can then put everything back when your done without having to remember what went where. Sorry I don't have a solution for your issue but hope this tip helps with disassembly like it did for me. Should be able to dig into it deeper with a little more confidence of putting it back together.

Thanks, and sorry. I didn't realize there were other versions. This is a 4wd 1/18 version. I feel like if I had good metal replacement parts I could get it apart and back together, but can't seem to locate what I need to make this part swap. I'm not crazy about fixing it with the same plastic parts just to have them strip so easily again.

Latest posts

Members online

Back