Force rc outbreak diffs

Ledfoot12

Hey all. So I am currently not a proud owner of an ecx rc at the moment... but I wasn’t sure where I could ask this specific question. I apologize in advance! :(

So I have a force rc outbreak, it’s a 4x4 1/10 monster truck. The rear diff keeps eating itself no matter what I do. Shimmed, no shims, diff just goes. I don’t do anything hard with it, no big jumps, maybe getting 2-5 inches at the most high off the ground, I don’t hold the throttle and turn it sharp to the left or right on any surface, no hard braking, just light use. I mainly do speed runs down the street with the occasional jump. I’m not really sure why the rear diff is going out.

It came with a brushed system, dynamite 60 amp esc and 15t dynamite brushed motor. I have upgraded to the Kinexsis 4000kv brushless system. The rear diff was a problem on the day it arrived in the mail, bone stock. And it’s still a problem with the new brushless system.

I did some research on my specific truck and found that the chassis is very similar to the ecx ruckus 4x4, especially where the motor mounts on the chassis and where the rear diff sits in the chassis.

Now I wonder if an ecx diff would fit? It seems like the force rc diffs are just junk, went through 4 of them already and I can’t seem to find a solution.

I am so sorry for making a post about another rc brand. I didn’t know where I could try and find help. I apologize if this breaks forum rules, you can punish me as you see fit. I just need a bit of help to figure out what’s going on :(

Last edited:

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Staff member
@Ledfoot12 are you doing jumps with your Outbreak? If so then you really need to make sure you're not under throttle when you land. This is a sure fire way of blowing up differentials quickly.

Ledfoot12

@Ledfoot12 are you doing jumps with your Outbreak? If so then you really need to make sure you're not under throttle when you land. This is a sure fire way of blowing up differentials quickly.
So sorry, my original post got cut off. I have edited my post with what should have been posted the first time. Appreciate the reply, WoodiE. I think I have answered your question in my edited post.

Ledfoot12

I uploaded 2 videos to youtube, hope you can hear the specific noise from the rear diff, if it will help in figuring out whats going on. Search for Fonic Gaming, just how you see it, and you should find 2 videos of an orange and green rc truck. Those are from me. Thanks

Steve g

The only sound I could hear is the motor cogging. Most sensorless brushless motors will make that chattery noise while going slow. Does it go away once the truck gets going?
If the rear diff does blow out again, might as well try the ecx one. I only have 2wd ones, so no help from me as for knowing if they are interchangeable. Worth a try though.

Ledfoot12

If I full throttle from a stand still, it’ll make that noise horribly loud. If I take off slowly and up the speed slowly it doesn’t do it. Since my truck is a Horizon hobby product, they want me to send it in for repair so they can determine the cause. But I don’t want to do that, could be an expensive fix. That’s why I’m trying to troubleshoot it with some help from you all

kruzracing169

Sounds like gears. If the noise was there with brushed motor and now brushless, it's gears. Either rear diff, front diff, or gear mesh of pinion to center drive gear.
Have you pulled the diffs apart?

Is there play when the center shaft goes into either diff?

Ledfoot12

I have pull the diffs apart. The rear diff is the only one with any problems. If I try and turn a dogbone cup while holding the main diff gear, one side will rotate freely, and if I try to rotate the other one, it binds up and you can feel it catching on something. The gears look fine to me, but seeing as this is my 4th diff it’s really frustrating. I even put the front diff in the rear and it works great. No noise at all for a full pack, which was about 33 mins. I recharged my 2s lipo and put the rear diff back in, that’s all it did was make the grinding noise. Does this info help any? Thanks again