Gear ratio

Ahad

Hi fellows as I have upgraded my ecx torment to 4000kv I want to know is it important that I change the gear ratio if yes what numbers of teeth on spur gear and pinion???? Plz help

Hello Friend!

I to have a 4000kv motor, and while I haven't actually run it yet, I can tell you for sure that gearing is up to you. Since my setup is incredibly powerful, I run steel gears so that it doesn't strip.

My gear ratio is Spur = 81, and Pinion = 23. However, again it's completely up to you. Something you should know, the bigger your pinion gear is, the higher top speed you will have, but less acceleration, and of course the opposite is true, smaller pinion gear means higher torque/acceleration, but lower top speed. On the other hand, running a bigger pinion puts more stress on the motor and heats it up faster. Though don't worry, you will be running this thing for a long time before you begin to notice anything. Same goes for smaller pinion, better run time, and doesn't put much stress on the motor.
Up to you though!

Hopefully you're still looking, since this post is fairly old :)
If not, then hows it working out? What are you running?

20200125_005157.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Friend!

I to have a 4000kv motor, and while I haven't actually run it yet, I can tell you for sure that gearing is up to you. Since my setup is incredibly powerful, I run steel gears so that it doesn't strip.

My gear ratio is Spur = 81, and Pinion = 23. However, again it's completely up to you. Something you should know, the bigger your pinion gear is, the higher top speed you will have, but less acceleration, and of course the opposite is true, smaller pinion gear means higher torque/acceleration, but lower top speed. On the other hand, running a bigger pinion puts more stress on the motor and heats it up faster. Though don't worry, you will be running this thing for a long time before you begin to notice anything. Same goes for smaller pinion, better run time, and doesn't put much stress on the motor.
Up to you though!

Hopefully you're still looking, since this post is fairly old :)
If not, then hows it working out? What are you running?

View attachment 5771
Hi friend.
I'm new to this and I feel im going to keep burning out my brushed motors.
Can you please link your esc and motor setup as well as your spur and pinion. Thank you

Hi friend.
I'm new to this and I feel im going to keep burning out my brushed motors.
Can you please link your esc and motor setup as well as your spur and pinion. Thank you
Here are the links!

Motor and ESC
https://www.amazon.ca/38010201-Max1...5?keywords=4000kv+motor&qid=1585433622&sr=8-5

Spur Gear
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Racing...500003&hash=item5b4ebd1d46:g:ys0AAOSw5atb2KeH

The Spur gear comes with the motor and ESC kit :)
Although I do warn you, this is an extremely powerful system, even running it on 2s it reaches speed of about 40-50kph
I had trouble controlling it at first and I've been driving for almost 7 years.
I won't stop you from buying it though, you can do what you like :)
Here is another link to more motors/esc's if you like, most are cheaper and may fit your style more
https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=brushless+motor+and+esc+1/10&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Latest posts

Members online

Back