gear slipping down on motor?

Kremlar

OK, please be easy on me. I'm very new to RC cars and this stuff in general, so still trying to get my feet wet. Hopefully I have my terminology somewhat right, but if I don't please correct me.

I have an ECX Ruckus 1/10 brushless 4WD that I am using with my son. It's not our car, just borrowing it until my son's own car arrives (currently on order).

We have some new batteries, ordered these Floureon 40C 2S 6200mAh based on some recommendations we read:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N9RXA9O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Coincidence or not, shortly after using these batteries we started having an issue where the motor would sound like it was spinning but there was no power to the wheels. The owner of the car replaced a large plastic gear that was driven by the small metal gear on the motor. It worked for a bit, then the same thing happened.

I looked at it and found that the small metal gear on the motor had slid down the shaft and was no longer making contact with the plastic gear. I removed the motor and spun the small metal gear so that the set screw was on the flat part of the shaft, slid the gear out so that it would make contact with the plastic gear, and tightened the set screw. I then reinstall the motor and and once again after a few minutes the same thing occurred.

Attached is a picture of the gear I am talking about. Why does this keep sliding down the shaft towards the motor, and what is supposed to stop it from doing this? I feel like I'm missing something...

Any help greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_20180903_210026262_LL.jpg
    IMG_20180903_210026262_LL.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 12
First off, welcome to the site @Kremlar!

Properly tightened and positioned the set screw should hold it in place on the flat spot of the motor shaft. Can you tell if the set screw is backing out? Did you loctite the threads on the set screw?

If you want, take more pictures of the pinion and motor shaft, perhaps there is something we will see.

Also remember blue loctite not red

Edit: Blue loctite is also known as medium thread lock and red is also known as permanent thread lock.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back