Getting Ruckus 2WD Brushed to Wheelie?

JonnyO2

Hi all. I'm looking for some advice on setting up my (OK, my daughter's) 2WD Ruckus to wheelie. I've read some posts and tried some things, but no luck yet.

I've tried a 16T and a 15T pinion and I've tried tightening the slipper clutch; I'm running 2S lipo (it's the model that comes with one and a 60A ESC.) When we burned out the original motor, I put in a Hackmoto 13T brushed motor.

Things I haven't tried yet, but have read about: stiffening the rear shocks, changing the spur gear (up? down?), going with a higher turn motor...

This has been a good learning process so far, but I'm hoping someone has some advice (without just saying "go brushless" ;) )

BTW - I can get it to wheelie here and there by running hard in reverse for just a sec and then gunning the throttle, but this is kicking me into overheat protection on the ESC, so it's not that fun to reset every few seconds.

Ha! But seriously... is that the only way!?

(Side question for anyone reading this: Is it "normal" for that ESC to overheat so easily?)

My sons Ruckus will wheelie if it gets too much throttle, we are using a cheap ($40) Goolrc 3100kv motor and ESC.
What type of surface are you running on? You need quite a bit of torque to get the front wheels up in the air compared with the Amp we have noticed.
When we were running brushed his ESC was the one thing that never really got hot for us

You two are funny! Thanks!

So, based on that, I'm going to try out the Kinexis 3000Kv motor/ESC combo from Horizon Hobby... If nothing else, it'll be another fun learning experience. (I considered the cheaper GoolRC brushless combo, but read some bad reviews about reliability...)

Last edited:
I put a 27t axial motor on my son's circuit, rest was stock, and it didn't make much difference. Then I threw in a 10 dollar brushed esc from China, and suddenly it rips. It'll wheelie, and I'm using nimh batteries. Really wasn't expecting to see a difference. Don't make much sense, unless the stock ecx esc holds back on WOT. I have 2 stock escs, both were the same. Soon it'll be running on 3s. I can find the link to the esc if you want when I get home today. Took only 7 days to get to my house in CT. but brushless is worth it. Doing it to mine and his will get it too when he can handle it

Steve - I'm intrigued! Please pass along the info. Even though I've already ordered the brushless combo, I'd still consider tinkering with another brushed ESC.

The circuit is a much shorter and lighter car, it will wheelie much easier
I was wondering the size of the ruckus. Looked a little on here for a pic. Shoulda just Googled it. And a side note, earlier I said I didn't notice a difference with the 27t motor, it did seem to accelerate better. Slightly though. Also runs a little cooler and maybe a little longer. Stock was 20t, so not much difference. I'm going to slap a gps on it and test different motors and the 2 escs soon

Right. Couldn't tell the top speed differece by eye though. Once I get some test runs in I'll post up the results in a new thread. Gonna try my titan 550 marine too. Got to find an app that will show acceleration force too.

Steve G - Thanks for the pointers! And if you find an app that does that nicely, definitely let me know. I haven't looked that hard, but I haven't found anything other than speedometer apps with a max and avg.

I looked that ESC up and it sounds very interesting. Ocday seems to share some products with GoolRC (and Yeah Racing too) but that 480A one seems unique. Thanks again!

You two are funny! Thanks!

So, based on that, I'm going to try out the Kinexis 3000Kv motor/ESC combo from Horizon Hobby... If nothing else, it'll be another fun learning experience. (I considered the cheaper GoolRC brushless combo, but read some bad reviews about reliability...)
Let us know how that brushless combo does. I was looking at it and for the price it seems like a good deal. The stock motor was a joke. About 2 mins of running and it was already getting pretty toasty.

I didn't get to see all the replies so this might be redundant but have you considered going brushless? Just kidding.
See if you can move the battery further back by positioning the foam block in frontof the battery. It's only a little difference but might help.
Check the setup options and you might find you can adjust the throttle response to dump all the torque at once instead of resisting and ramping up.

Do you still have stock plastics shafts. If so they most likely won’t last more than a few wheelies especially with locked slipper on cement.

Btw it might be easier to make a shorty LiPo mount using the stock battery strap thing and have it towards the back. That way the front end would be light enough to start floating away (not really but you get the point).

Also the stock tires aren’t very good they are super hard compound. I have proline trenchers I sometimes run on my truck for fun and they like to pop wheelies all the time. Really good wheelies with light sct tires on the front.

Brushless...

I put a cheap 1800 mha 2C LiPo in my stock 2wd Ruckus and it would would wheelie from a dead stop every time until it ate the stock esc.

From my understanding, a lower turn motor will give you more speed, a higher T will give more torque. Try a 20T or higher or a high T 550 motor. Alternatly go brushless, i got the Tazer 4000Kv combo. Its about $100, but you will have no trouble with wheelies, and ive gotten it to about 47 or 49mph on a 2 cell lipo with 81/27 gears. Ran very hot and switched back to 87/27. You could always try a cheaper combo from Banggood or another site, but if you invest in a good setup you can alway transfer it. Ive purchased a brushless motor and esc from banggood but the esc died after about an hour (not warerproof and ran it in the snow). Banggood still refunded my money ( didn't tell them it was ran in the snow). Other product ive gotten from there have been great, cheap, and refunded or replaced if bad. Downside is shipping, 2-6 weeks sometimes.

Johnny, bigger tires on the rear will solve your problem and money if all your looking for is to do wheelies. However brushless is the way to go.20171212_164743.jpg 20171212_164750.jpg 20171223_183209.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back