Gool RC 3500kv Brushless upgrade *mini review*

Bigpoppa99

Well, my Gool RC 3500kv Brushless Combo arrived today so I thought I would take some pics and give my thoughts on the setup and performance since I know alot of people are curious of this system.

First initial thoughts:
Motor comes nicely packed in a small package with the motor wrapped in bubble wrap, nice and neatly well packed. The instructions are a single page with not much info and no calibration instructions. I briefly searched on YouTube for a video but didn't find any right off, so I just went ahead with the install.
20170228_163727_zpsnt2pwtgf.jpg
20170228_164226_zpsa7y9b4ky.jpg

First the motor install, pretty straight forward, the stock screws fit just fine. I did notice the motor shaft was kinda short, but there is plenty of room for the set screw to bite and hold just fine.
20170228_172837_zpsewodmmxo.jpg
20170228_172852_zpsgqygzapm.jpg
20170228_172924_zps3cstezcj.jpg

Next is the ESC. First off, the switch has to go, I never run switches on my rc's, it's not needed and just something else to cause problems down the road, so I just cut it and solder the two wires together. The esc will power on once the battery is plugged in, so beware if you do this and always have Tx powered on first. After I soldered the wires I taped it to the side to keep it from flopping around.
20170228_173125_zpswtpibemc.jpg

20170228_173441_zps2qfvfehf.jpg

Next, the esc has a slot on the side for the switch to mount, well for me this was keeping the esc from fully seating down flat because I have a velcro strap on the other side which needs a little room to move around. So since I done away with my switch anyway, I went ahead and grinded off the tabs with my Dremel and a grinding stone. Now it fit's all the way down flat with some room on the other side.
20170228_174108_zpsj9toxhe9.jpg
20170228_174120_zpswicdlgo8.jpg
20170228_174335_zpsr4tv2lgy.jpg
20170228_174431_zpsxoyjxasc.jpg

Next, I noticed the Rx wire is going to be too short since I decided to mount it in the stock location. But thanks to a friend of mine for teaching me how to make my own extensions, I made my own extension to solve this problem, approx. 2 1/4" was needed. The esc would not fit on the other side with the Rx because it's too big. I felt the Rx had no choice but to be on the passenger side due to the antenna wire mount, but if your Rx don't have a antenna wire, then I recommend swapping sides, esc on the passenger and Rx on the driver to counter balance the motor weight slightly more to the left of the truck. But this may not be a big deal. I tucked the extension plug behind the servo, it fit's nice and snug and highly doubt it will slide out.
20170228_174943_zpsgohbc6v2.jpg
20170228_182349_zpscrws7mpo.jpg

Another reason I mounted the esc on the drivers side was the motor wires seem to be rather short, didn't seem like it would reach the opposite side. My motor wires routed nicely through a opening in the shock tower.
20170228_174844_zpswuyqgqri.jpg
20170228_174856_zpswtfqzwlk.jpg

In conclusion:
To me the motor performs slightly faster and quicker on takeoff vs the stock motor, both running on a 2s lipo and still using stock gearing. But not a huge difference, HOWEVER, if you was to run a 3s lipo and change the gearing, this thing would be a beast!! The motor stays just barely warm to the touch, so you might could get by with a tooth or two larger pinion gear, but just keep an eye on temps. Overall, a very nice performing motor combo for only $39.99. While there was no calibration instructions in the box, mine seems to perform just as it should out of the box, but I will look online for some instructions on calibration and making sure the LVC is correctly set to 2s lipo. I will report back if I have any issues or to update if I change gearing any. Below is my personal Pros and Cons. Really the Cons are really not a big issue, but I figured I would mention them anyway.

Pros:
  • Value ($39.99)
  • Quality made product
  • Smooth operation
  • Direct swap from brushed, only slight modifications needed
  • Waterproof (not tested)
  • Longer run times
Cons:
  • Noisey fan
  • Motor leads could have been longer
  • Motor shaft wouldn't hurt to be approx. 3mm longer
  • Better detailed instructions on calibration and setup

Thanks for the review. Mine is on its way! I went for the 3100KV. I expect to gear up as well to make the most out of it.

How's the cogging?

Nice report! Thanks! 1--I might get one too but another con for me is the too short Rx wire--just more of a project--I'll look for an extension--should be easy to find?? You didn't tell us your secret of how to make an extension ;-)

2--Ya, How's the cogging?

3--Would the 3500 be faster on 2S?

Thanks for info

Thanks for the comments on my garage. I build scale crawlers also so the scale garage just falls along with the rest of my rc's.

What is cogging?

Yes the 2s lipo definiatly performs better.

As for making extensions, I also build and fly model airplanes. Most all of which extensions of various lengths are needed. That can get expensive when buying those. I can buy a spool of wire, pins and ends for much cheaper and make my own. It's hard to explain how to make and it's very small pieces to see. YouTube should help you on how to get started making extensions. Once you get the hang of it, it's easy, and rewarding.

This motor can definiatly handle a bigger pinion, that will be my next test, with temp results

Cogging is the jerking motion when accelerating on small throttle from a standstill. Brushless RC motor torque is not constant over the rotation of the output shaft, it pulses somewhat. Depending on the motor this can make for choppy low speed running.

I really can't be bothered making extensions myself. If you can wait for China mail to arrive, you can buy 10 for under $2 (here, different lengths available in similar listings). The only bad contact I've had so far was on a stock connector, go figure at what price those are made...

I haven't payed much attention to the cogging then. I will test soon, but right off hand if it done it then it wasn't bad. Brushless motors are intended for higher speeds, crawlers on the other hand need to go slow and smooth therefore require sensored motors.

As for extensions, I trust my own quality in making them myself versus depending on a 14 year old Chinese kid who just worked a 14 hour shift on 4 hours of sleep. When you have hundreds of dollars worth of aircraft in the air, a quality extension is critical. Plus I think they are fun to make

Picked up a 25t pinion today. So my gearing is now 25/87, not much different than my slash at 23/86. I did a quick test run (its dark so it was very brief) and O M G!! This thing hauls butt!! I did not run it long enough to test motor temps, but I couldn't hold it wot for long lol, I would run outta yard. This thing is crazy fast now. I will try and get a speed reading on it. Are there an app you can download on your phone so I can strap my phone to the truck and get a speed reading?

I'm hoping yours works out well. I finally found a bunch of GoolRC Reviews BUT they are low stars with lots of low end problems = this --> HERE and at the bottom of the same page.

I was up for getting one but now I'm dubious--please keep us informed!

Well, first off that's not the correct item that's being reviewed. Second, I only find two actual negative results out of the lonely 7 reviews, and that's the two that said a faulty esc. The rest of the reviews is either good reviews, or people just being big babies like "the fan is too loud, oh you have to trim a tab off the receiver wire end". I wouldn't actually classify those as negative reviews. Who cares if the fan is loud? I mentioned it in my little review as a con, but not necessarily a real bad thing. The others were just saying they had to swap the motor wires, but that's not worth taking away stars for, I didn't have that problem with mine.

But I hope mine holds out good, after all its a $39 setup, so definiatly worth a shot.

I agree = Definitely worth a shot. As i said I found a bunch and I'm looking at other models for 1/8 & things--I'm going out of town but I'll dig em up when I return in a few days. In the mean time I hope to hear more positives from you as you drive more...

Well I got a speed test in on the road with my phone taped to the roof. I got a max speed of 32mph. That's with a fresh charged 2s lipo. Now giving the fact that the weight of my phone, plug the aerodynamic drag my phone was probably creating, im sure the actual speed without my phone is probably about 35mph. Now my next test will be a speed test of my son's stock amp to compare. I kept doing multiple speed runs up and down the road, I didn't get a motor temperature reading, but I could hold my finger on the motor all day long, it was just warm to the touch. So I'm willing to bet for you speed demons you could play with gearing more like maybe drop a spur size or try a 3s lipo, this thing would scream. To me the 25t seems to be my liking. On the road it will do a straight stand wheelie from take-off, and even while moving slow, so it's still got the torque and has all the speed I want out of it.

Highly recommend this motor. Oh and I checked for 'cogging', it has a very smooth take-off, so little to no cogging. And I read some review where somebody said it had full speed in reverse as well as forward, well mine does not do that, it has full speed forward and probably 30% speed in reverse, which is correct.

I will also note this setup has very good braking capabilities, my stock setup had very very poor brakes, sometimes I would hit the brakes and it would just keep right on rolling.

Screenshot_2017-03-04-11-28-12_zpsppqawt7v.png

Great to see the speeds your getting! When I tested my son's Amp MT fully stock it was hitting a max of 16mph with an nimh battery.

I've just built a second amp, this time with an Absima 15t and am getting maxi speed of 25mph again in nimh, so you're doing well getting over 30 mph!

Lol, so I guses 32 is a pretty good speed for my AMP. Now it's up to par in speed with our slashes, now let's just see how it handles on the track. Although I do have a Gyro that I'm running in it, so that will tame it down alot. I could imagine without a Gyro it would be tough getting off the line and especially in turns. Will test on the SC track tomorrow. Will report back on my thoughts.

Overall not bad at all for a cheap $39 complete setup. As long as it holds up life wise then this was a great deal!

Lol thanks woodie. Yea I make the scale pallets. They always make for nice showing of new incoming parts or upgrades. I even thought about making a scale box for the parts to go in and wrapping the pallet with the boxes on it with saranwrap to look like it came straight out of a warehouse...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back