Grinding noise

Jon0822

I upgraded my ECX amp esc/receiver to a hobbywing 1060 esc and a spektrum reciever, I also just upgraded the battery from the standard 1800 mah 6 cell 7.2v Nimh to an 8.4v 3300 mah 7cell. It ran well until it landed in a thicker section of grass and wouldn't go more than a couple feet without stopping and needing a ‘bump’ to get it going again. When I turned my controller off and took the body off to take battery out there was a weird grinding noise that sounded like it was coming from the ESC. Is it possible landing in the grass stripped my gears or activated a voltage failsafe with the esc? It is a brand new battery about half charge on it before I started running it

I upgraded my ECX amp esc/receiver to a hobbywing 1060 esc and a spektrum reciever, I also just upgraded the battery from the standard 1800 mah 6 cell 7.2v Nimh to an 8.4v 3300 mah 7cell. It ran well until it landed in a thicker section of grass and wouldn't go more than a couple feet without stopping and needing a ‘bump’ to get it going again. When I turned my controller off and took the body off to take battery out there was a weird grinding noise that sounded like it was coming from the ESC. Is it possible landing in the grass stripped my gears or activated a voltage failsafe with the esc? It is a brand new battery about half charge on it before I started running it
Hi
If you haven’t changed the gears and are still using the standard plastic ones it will be those, I had the same problem.
Cheers

If the noise is coming from the esc or motor, and this is your first sensorless brushless system, and it stops when it gets moving, it's probably cogging. Sensorless brushless systems don't like low speed and high resistance (tall grass). Do you hear the noise once moving above 8mph or so?
Edit: just reread your post, it was making the sound while off then? Was the truck complelty still when you heard it?

Last edited:
If the noise is coming from the esc or motor, and this is your first sensorless brushless system, and it stops when it gets moving, it's probably cogging. Sensorless brushless systems don't like low speed and high resistance (tall grass). Do you hear the noise once moving above 8mph or so?
Edit: just reread your post, it was making the sound while off then? Was the truck complelty still when you heard it?
Right it was completely off I just hadn’t unplugged the battery yet

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back