Helion Conquest 10MT XB and XLR

Bugoff75

Scored 2 Conquest Monster trucks. for free!!!
Story goes - guy buys 2 trucks for his kids - XLR brushless for the eldest and the XB for the younger boy. Both break on first outing - guy calls company he bought them from to complain and they refund him. So both trucks go back in the boxes and sit on a shelf in his garage. Forward to about a week ago when my brother (a contractor) was doing some work for guy, sees the boxes asks about them and is given them for free. He attempts to charge the included Nimh batteries with included chargers and neither take a charge. Figures there is more wrong with them then bad batteries and shoves them off to me.

I get two boxes with what looks like brand new trucks in them. ( not a single scratch on them ) Quick research and find out they are discontinued and parts are hard to come by. throw both batteries on my onyx and manage to slightly revive them. Use them to test electronics since I no longer use deans plugs. everything works. XB has a broken rear hub but the XLR looks fine. Swap out the deans for a TRX plug so I can run a LiPo and servos stripped. Few minutes later I got a stock ECX servo mounted up and the truck lives! Except it barely moves - slipper screams. Pull the gear cover and nut is tight, but tighten it down all the way and it still screams.

Next day take slipper apart to find the pad material is some sort of hard plastic and there was a dry lubricant all over it. cleaned it up - reinstalled and truck moves!

Fun little truck.

Would never actually buy one of these cause of all the cons (theres alot of stuff that's just bad) but for free its for me!!! Entry level brand that is suppose to be more bang for your buck but a ECX would of been a better purchase. 2.4GHz radio (shake it in your hand and steering goes nuts) V-tread tires (air filled- no traction at all) all weather electronics (not water-proof) XLR comes with bearings- XB with bushings, wheelie bar but brushless with LiPo doesn't pull a wheelie so why is there one on the brushed? chassis design was available in a ST, SC, buggy, and a MT. Few online reviews I found compared to ECX with the comparable ECX model being better and most broke during testing which tells alot about the brand. But the price was just right FREE!!!

Bugoff75

Oh the one thing I actually liked about these trucks is they come with a dust cover to help protect the weather-proof electronics. Kinda neat cause its not something you usually see with entry level stuff.
20180513_175256.jpg

As you can see I've been running the XLR. No traction, terrible steering response, but fun. Lowered the body cause it really looked funny riding up so high.

Bugoff75

@Bugoff75 How is the parts availability on the Helion brand?
From what I can tell - terrible. Seems to be a HobbyTown brand, so maybe in store stuff is available. I tend to buy parts thru Ebay, Amazon - anywhere I can get price deals and free shipping- little to nothing comes up with searches on Conquest or Helion.

Bugoff75

Weathers been bad and I've been busy but the bit I've been able to run the XLR things seem to get better. I guess the slipper needed to wear in abit cause now it doesn't scream and I can get the front wheel to lift. Nothing incredible but its much better then it was. Can get it moving pretty good then spin out on pavement, cause the tires traction is still pretty bad. Launching off of curbs and up grassy little hills the foam less tires and weak suspension soaks up small drops pretty well and helps with awkward landings. Starting to enjoy this little truck.

bz7

We've been seriously considering the Conquest for our nonprofit because our local Hobbytown stocks parts for it, versus having to special order parts for our 3 Ruckus'. Plus, we discovered that you can get the same brushless truck for $110 re-branded as the Baseltek NX2 here https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=27833. It's also known as the HSP Grampus or Crampus, or Storm (the short course version of the truck.

You can get replacement gears from Hobbytown that are metal (versus the plastic ones in the picture that broke), the part numbers are HLNA1107 Metal Gearbox Gear (metal gear replacement for HLNA1032) HLNA1110 CNC Machined Idler Gear (metal gear replacement for HLNA1023) and these are $17 total. You can also search YouTube for the HSP Grampus or Crampus, because this is another name the truck is sold under.

However, after reading this thread, we'll probably stick with the Ruckus, despite the weak plastic driveshafts and problematic shoulder screws for the front bearing carriers.

Bugoff75

EDIT: I completely miss read this post. Reading comprehension skills, it's important kids!
I wouldn't go with the 10mt since it's discontinued, but any of the other conquest trucks or buggies would be cool since you have access to a local HobbyTown. But seeing that you already have 3 ECX trucks. It would be wise to stick with them. The 2wd have a metal gear option and the driveshafts are easily upgraded. Not sure what your doing with the trucks but having several of the same is probably the best option. If your having issues with always breaking something on a ECX (stock that's hard to do) it might be worth spending more money and moving to Traxxas trucks. Like the old saying goes "you get what you pay for".

Still say the XLR is a fun little truck stock. Steering is fun cause it never turns where you want it to. Shake the controller and the servo twitches. Chevron style tires with no foam get terrible grip so sliding around is cool unless your trying to drive straight then its not. Its 10th scale but I think my RC10 from 1984 is slightly bigger.

Last edited:

bz7

EDIT: I completely miss read this post. Reading comprehension skills, it's important kids!
I wouldn't go with the 10mt since it's discontinued, but any of the other conquest trucks or buggies would be cool since you have access to a local HobbyTown. But seeing that you already have 3 ECX trucks. It would be wise to stick with them. The 2wd have a metal gear option and the driveshafts are easily upgraded. Not sure what your doing with the trucks but having several of the same is probably the best option. If your having issues with always breaking something on a ECX (stock that's hard to do) it might be worth spending more money and moving to Traxxas trucks. Like the old saying goes "you get what you pay for".

Still say the XLR is a fun little truck stock. Steering is fun cause it never turns where you want it to. Shake the controller and the servo twitches. Chevron style tires with no foam get terrible grip so sliding around is cool unless your trying to drive straight then its not. Its 10th scale but I think my RC10 from 1984 is slightly bigger.
Thanks for the advice! We've got a whole bunch of Traxxas trucks, including 3 Slashes and 2 Stampedes, but have given the nod to the Ruckus because it's been more durable. The guys at my local HobbyTown said that the Conquest MT is coming back, but don't have a time frame.