Help Purchasing Amp Batteries

masavy

Hello everyone, I'm purchasing two Amps for my son and I and I'm hoping someone can clarify which additional batteries to purchase. From what I understand they each come with one Nimh battery that last about 15 minutes. Can anyone recommend a Lipo battery and charger we can purchase that will run longer than that?

I'm also guessing you can only charge one battery at a time, so I may want to get two chargers. We plan on going to some remote areas with them so I want to have a decent amount of run time and backup batteries on hand.

Thanks for any advice I appreciate it.

Hello everyone, I'm purchasing two Amps for my son and I and I'm hoping someone can clarify which additional batteries to purchase. From what I understand they each come with one Nimh battery that last about 15 minutes. Can anyone recommend a Lipo battery and charger we can purchase that will run longer than that?

I'm also guessing you can only charge one battery at a time, so I may want to get two chargers. We plan on going to some remote areas with them so I want to have a decent amount of run time and backup batteries on hand.

I just got an Amp MT for the kids this fall. I have two 1800 Mah packs. I suppose I get a strong 30 minutes of fun with both batteries. Choosing between 3k or 5k nihm would come down to price for me (not sure).
A word on chargers: If you are all thinking of LiPo batteries in the future, get a charger with a “storage charge” function. Mine doesn’t, and I kind of regret it (Spectrum S150). It seems knowing your LiPo storage charge is pretty important.

As for me, I’m not quite ready for a LiPo upgrade on my Amp. I think I’d rather go with a Brushless/LiPo RC out if the box. I’m not brave just yet to tinker with a model that’s only 1 month old. I’m still liking the robust, forgiving nature of Nihms for now.

I just got an Amp MT for the kids this fall. I have two 1800 Mah packs. I suppose I get a strong 30 minutes of fun with both batteries. Choosing between 3k or 5k nihm would come down to price for me (not sure).
A word on chargers: If you are all thinking of LiPo batteries in the future, get a charger with a “storage charge” function. Mine doesn’t, and I kind of regret it (Spectrum S150). It seems knowing your LiPo storage charge is pretty important.

As for me, I’m not quite ready for a LiPo upgrade on my Amp. I think I’d rather go with a Brushless/LiPo RC out if the box. I’m not brave just yet to tinker with a model that’s only 1 month old. I’m still liking the robust, forgiving nature of Nihms for now.
Thanks for the info. So the batteries that come with the AMP run about 15 minutes? Can I ask you how long it takes to recharge them? I ordered the cars but held off on battery upgrades for now until I figure out exactly what to get. I've been reading that Lipo batteries can fry the AMP motor? Thinking I should just get some extra batteries that are the same as the one they come with. That way I can head to the trails with 3-4 batteries for each and get a good hour of using them.

Thanks for the info. So the batteries that come with the AMP run about 15 minutes? Can I ask you how long it takes to recharge them? I ordered the cars but held off on battery upgrades for now until I figure out exactly what to get. I've been reading that Lipo batteries can fry the AMP motor? Thinking I should just get some extra batteries that are the same as the one they come with. That way I can head to the trails with 3-4 batteries for each and get a good hour of using them.
I have a Spektrum S150 charger. I charge the batteries at 1amp. This slow, but I want to take care of my equipment. At that rate it takes 2 1/2 hours to charge one battery (1800mah). I fast-charged them once. It took about 30 minutes each.

I have two kids so “they each get a battery.” The 1800mah works great for me on that regard. They each get about 15 minutes to play before it’s their sister’s turn.

This fall, running both myself in 30 minutes worked out because I ran out of daylight in the evenings anyway!

I am very much an RC enthusiast on a budget. Therefore I’m worried about biting up my equipment. That said, I worry about running a LiPo in my Amp MT. I know it might be able to handle it, but it’s stressing it pretty hard, I think. I’m going to stick with Nihms in it until I wear out the motor. Then I’ll think about upgrading to LiPo/Brushless. But that’s just me. I don’t have a lot of extra income to experiment.

I appreciate all the info. I think I'll just get some backups of the same battery and avoid doing anything that could fry the cars.

before I upgraded to brushless a 5000mah 2S LiPo did the job pretty well, I could get about 45 min of runtime on the track with it before I had to charge.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back